GDT: Game LXI: Avs @ Hawks - Perfect Strangers meet WITH EVERYTHING ON THE LINE!!!

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
You all deserve to eat a worm from all that Nemeth bashing, JTC doesn't score if Nemeth didn't perform a Lidstrom-esque pass. @21

I guess, but part me of thinks he was icing the puck again and Compher just happened to be in the way (yes, this is tongue-in-cheek, kind of).

Reactions: Perratrooper

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I prefer to focus on the positives tonight as I did earlier but I must say, the Avs probably have one of the dumbest groups of defensemen in the league with EJ, Barrie, and Zadorov back there. To EJ's credit, he has been playing much better and making fewer boneheaded errors but the other two are clueless in the defensive zone half the time. There are so many chances against coming as a result of puck watching and losing focus.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Varly is so frustrating. Where was this version the past few months? I know people say he's gone but looking at the UFA crop.. Who's better than him? Only ones that are close are Howard and Lehner (though playing behind a Trotz system makes goaltending easier, as we've learned).

Unless people are actually okay with letting him go and running with Grubauer + Francouz. Which I cannot see Bednar, or even the players being comfortable with lol.

MacBradley

May 5, 2014
Kerfoot gets worse with time. Outside of one nice pass, he was a a liability all night and a hindrance to the MacKinnon line.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Varly is so frustrating. Where was this version the past few months? I know people say he's gone but looking at the UFA crop.. Who's better than him? Only ones that are close are Howard and Lehner (though playing behind a Trotz system makes goaltending easier, as we've learned).

Unless people are actually okay with letting him go and running with Grubauer + Francouz. Which I cannot see Bednar, or even the players being comfortable with lol.

I'm convinced he's been dealing with some sort of injury. People were noticing his lateral movement was off when his game started to wane, then he missed some games, then came back and went off the rails. Now he appears to be moving a lot better, a lot more square with shooters and what not.

Not gonna say anything about Kerfoot.

At least the Avs in the postgame acknowledged they played like crap and still won, Landy and Bednar both said they didn't have a good start at all. Oh well, nice to see the hometown boy come through HUGE tonight, along with Soda. I'll take a win however they can get it.

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm convinced he's been dealing with some sort of injury. People were noticing his lateral movement was off when his game started to wane, then he missed some games, then came back and went off the rails. Now he appears to be moving a lot better, a lot more square with shooters and what not.

Not gonna say anything about Kerfoot.

At least the Avs in the postgame acknowledged they played like crap and still won, Landy and Bednar both said they didn't have a good start at all. Oh well, nice to see the hometown boy come through HUGE tonight, along with Soda. I'll take a win however they can get it.
When you blow your groin out that many times, it's never 100%. It probably bothers him quite often.

Reactions: Hornstar

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
And that, more than anything, is why the Avs are likely moving on. It's never been a question of talent or drive, merely durability.
If we can, great. I don't know how Sakic will do it yet. There isn't a lot out there.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
If we can, great. I don't know how Sakic will do it yet. There isn't a lot out there.

Well...that's why I wished to hell they had tried Francouz a hell of a lot sooner, especially when after Grubby's disastrous game against the Canucks. At least then they'd have a slightly better idea on what they had and what they needed.

Hindsight aside I still like what they tried to do this offseason with the goaltending. I haven't liked what they've done from that point forward.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well...that's why I wished to hell they had tried Francouz a hell of a lot sooner, especially when after Grubby's disastrous game against the Canucks. At least then they'd have a slightly better idea on what they had and what they needed.

Hindsight aside I still like what they tried to do this offseason with the goaltending. I haven't liked what they've done from that point forward.
Yah I like their moves, and I agree, Francouz should have a few starts by now, and I have no idea why he doesn't.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I prefer to focus on the positives tonight as I did earlier but I must say, the Avs probably have one of the dumbest groups of defensemen in the league with EJ, Barrie, and Zadorov back there. To EJ's credit, he has been playing much better and making fewer boneheaded errors but the other two are clueless in the defensive zone half the time. There are so many chances against coming as a result of puck watching and losing focus.
I despise how easily they allow forwards to gain the blue line. Like, that **** infuriates me.

Reactions: klozge and Avs_19

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Dater gave Kerfoot a "B" grade.

Gave Nieto a "C", despite being extremely effective on the forecheck today.

Mind blown

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
They aren't giving the seam passes anymore on the PK but now there is a open guy right in front of Varly banging in the rebounds. Playing PK can't be that hard.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That was a great game in terms of entertainment. Happy ending aswell. Varly was simply outstanding. It could have been 3-0 after 8 minutes as the Hawks had some grade A chances. We play like this tommorow against the Preds and its not gonna be pretty.

Tyson Barrie had a game for the ages in the worse way possible. The guy seems almost brain dead out there lately. Not doing anything offensively and a complete liability with the puck almost always.

Kerfoot had another horrendous showing. This guy used to be able to pass the puck and he all of a sudden cant. The simplest of passes he can make them and this is the guy that Jared wants flanked next to Nathan? Seriously, he shouldnt be in the lineup let alone playing with the best player. Hopefully Kerfoot is gone by Monday.

Soderberg is an absolute beast right now. I think he might be our best forward this month.

JTC was also great tonight. Didnt like him so much on the Debrincat goal but he more then made up for that.

I dont want to talk about Z and EJ. Both guys were bad. Im also starting to sour on Graves the more I see him. Solid 6/7 guy though. I dont know if he should be a regular. Didnt like him tonight.

Reactions: Avs425

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Nemeth's not getting traded, probably just earned an extension lmao.

Another great important win, all these shots against is a bit concerning but Varly did it again.

Cool fact: Landeskog, Nemeth and Erik Gustafsson (all born 1992) played for the same highly successful junior team in Stockholm "Hammarby".

Gustafsson looking amazing this season, I'm super impressed, another great Swedish defenseman?? ;-)

Not sure but it helps Nemeth's chances staying in the NHL. Confusing season though, he delivers under pressure but he needs to raise his general level, perhaps a really tough coach would help. He seem to be too calm/relaxed in a Swedish way, somebody should face slap him before every game finding the right mode. ;-)

I believe Claude Lemieux is his agent, the same company his old friend Forsberg invested in recently. I believe Forsberg is getting more and more wealthy, becoming a successful businessman and investor, read he bought three different Porsches at the same time recently. ;-)

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
As has been said many times before, Adrian Dater does not understand the game of hockey. He just so happens to be a man that covers the Colorado Avalanche. His hockey knowledge is nonexistent.

Dater is perhaps a nice guy but he's actually bad for hockey in Colorado, it's kind of sad.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He will have the greatest throne in Valhalla

;-) hehe

The most badass Viking of them all (at least for me) Harald Hårdråde was a catholic though, also known as the last Viking.

Harald fought all his life, in a lot of countries and also become incredibly wealthy. Fighting together with his brother as a 15 year old, watching his brother die, severely wounded himself. Total humiliation but somehow he fled, (returned to Norway later) and started an epic revenge. Countless number of wars & battles until he died when trying to conquer England, if not perhaps many of you perhaps would have been speaking Norwegian (norse) by now. ;-)
Harald Hardrada - Wikipedia

Some people (ok, one person) believe Harald Hårdråde was the inspiration for Game of Thrones. Harald was for real though, Game Of Thrones is fiction. ;-)
The Viking king who may have inspired Game of Thrones

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->