GDT: Game LXI: Avs @ Hawks - Perfect Strangers meet WITH EVERYTHING ON THE LINE!!!

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I can't believe how good Nemeth was in the final minutes of the game. Made that sweet pass and went on to make some amazing plays in our zone.
Powerplay sucked for the most part but I liked the Avs a lot 5on5. Varly was great again. Kerfoot needs to calm down. I liked Bednar's blender, might have won us the game. He's coaching well right now.

Reactions: 21 and MarkT

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Kane can keep his streak, we'll take the two points.

This team needs to stop taking stupid penalties. Yes, some of the calls were questionable but the Avs just keep giving the refs way too many chances to blow the whistle.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just watched it. Can barely process thoughts.

Carl Soderberg is now my favourite Avalanche player. I can't get enough of this year's version of him. He's actually out there looking to hit people, which would have been inconceivable only a couple seasons ago.

Nemeth also made me not want to see him traded with his play at the end of the game. I won't even be upset if he's still on the team after Monday.

Kerfoot... oh Kerfoot. Anyone still going to jump all over me if I suggest again that he might end up as a career AHLer? In any case get him the hell off MacKinnon's line.

Speaking of the lines, I normally, like to analyse their play line by line but that was impossible this game, as I don't think Bendar had any set lines tonight. Hey, it worked, so I'm not complaining.

I hope they play better against Nashville. Honestly, Chicago should have won that game, but Varly pulled off another of his great games against Chicago. If it's indeed Grubuaer in net against the Preds, I expect the Avs to play out of their minds to try to keep Nashville from getting any great scoring chances.

I want 4 in a row. I will get 4 in a row. Carl will make it so.

Reactions: AvsMakar08 and 21

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Tyson Barrie had a game for the ages in the worse way possible. The guy seems almost brain dead out there lately. Not doing anything offensively and a complete liability with the puck almost always.

Kerfoot had another horrendous showing. This guy used to be able to pass the puck and he all of a sudden cant. The simplest of passes he can make them and this is the guy that Jared wants flanked next to Nathan? Seriously, he shouldnt be in the lineup let alone playing with the best player. Hopefully Kerfoot is gone by Monday.
This is said by most after almost every game it seems...

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Kane can keep his streak, we'll take the two points.

This team needs to stop taking stupid penalties. Yes, some of the calls were questionable but the Avs just keep giving the refs way too many chances to blow the whistle.
Not sure what you are supposed to do when the refs are just looking to penalize one team and not the other.

All three calls in the third easily shouldn't have been calls based on what they'd been calling all game .

Jost gets pinned to the ice face shoved into the ice twice by Kane, then gives him a love tap on the ass with his stick and it's a slash on Jost. That call was a joke the ref in that case just baited him into a penalty and was probably going call him on something even if he hadn't done anything, honestly that ref should be suspended. That was a joke.

Rantanen's holding penalty was average at best that play happens all the time with no call. But since we are up 1 in the third and refs wanted to call only the Avs on stuff it's a penalty.

Then finally Johnson's was pathetic. Johnson does his job to get position on Toews next to the net but Toews decided he was going to hurl himself into the goal and flail around like a dead fish so the ref assumes Johnson must have manhandled him when in reality the contact was fairly minimal. I guarantee if Chicago was winning by a couple Toews doesn't even lose his balance. It was a nice acting job.

Couple this with the fact that they let at least two blatant interference calls go on Chicago in the third, they run a pick play that is clear as day interference on the PP but for some reason it didn't get called. Not to mention go watch the replay of the 6 on 4 Toews grabs someone's stick for a good 5-10 seconds which our guy had to wrestle away from him but apparently that's ok.

It was a nice win against Chicago and the refs. That's why I was impressed. They fought through the BS.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Holy crap what a game. Every time we play the Hawks they’re games for the ages. What a playoff series they would make. Maybe we can hope for a WCF if we both make it.

If Chicago makes the playoffs though I think they may win the Cup again. Toews and Kane just look unstoppable every shift,. Strome looks like a bigger Paul Stasnty in his prime and has great chemistry with Debrinkat. Even Caggiula looks like a good fit for the Hawks style of play and may break out. Will depend on how much Keith and Seabrook have left in the tank for another run.

Varlamov just eats Hawks for lunch.

Landy has improved his shot so much in the last couple years. It’s all just hard work in practice too, because he didn’t use to have that shot. It didn’t come off his stick nearly as quick, and he missed the net a fair bit. Now he just picks corners with ease, whether it’s on the forehand or backhand, and he’s been doing it all year. Not to mention the high level deflections he’s added to his game the last couple years as well.

Not sure it was mentioned but Landy passed Peter Forsberg's career high of 30 goals the other day. Not a huge deal since Peter wasn't really a goal scorer, but it's still cool nonetheless.

Speaking of wristers, JTC's wrister is just a thing of beauty, but in a different way. He puts his whole body into it like the PP goal. It rockets off his stick when he’s on top of his game. Then the bar down goal was absolutely hilarious.

Mikko’s one touch pass to JT on the PP was just insane too. It had to be perfect and it was. I gotta make a gif of that and look at it over and over.

MacKinnon needs better line mates asap. Ghetto is just a tire fire of bad passes out there still, and Kerfoot’s not much better, though that was a beauty of a chip pass to Soda for the breakaway goal. Nate looked pissed most all game though. Even had another mini moment on the bench with Bednar. Bednar must have realized this was going south as he put Mikko back on his line late in the 2nd.

Soda is in full beast mode. Love his game the last couple months, and he just keeps getting better. He's a coaches dream when he plays like this. Just goes to the net always and won't be stopped. Pokes at the puck when the goalie freezes it every time and pisses everyone off. Takes tons of abuse and just looks at guys with that weird look on is face. Just an animal out there.

Totally understandable that Bednar wanted a shutdown line with the lead, and paired up Landy with Soda. They’ve always been great together, but I wish he wouldn’t mess with the Jost-Landy line. It’s working really well, and if Jost can keep this going it will be huge for this team. Calvert’s really busting his butt out there but he doesn’t have the skill to take advantage of Jost’s plays, and Kerfoot and JTC don’t play the right style to fit with him IMO.

I’d really like to see Bednar work Jost into the PK too. That often gets guys going in games more, and it has a trickle down effect to their 5 on 5 play. This would be a great way to get him some more ice time as well. If he and JTC can become really good PKers, that would really increase their role on the team. It's what you hope for in those 2nd/3rd line types.

Lets keep this rolling in Nashville. Please play Grubauer now! They’re gonna cut to the bench during the game and Varly’s just gonna be passed out snoring.

Last edited:

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
You know I'm in the camp of not really wanting to trade Barrie (I mean, I would for the right price), but as a mainly-lurking poster here for a long time I get pretty tired of seeing people defending his bad play shamelessly. The dude sometimes lays absolute stinkers. You don't have to pound the table constantly in his favor...

Love you guys though

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just wanted to share these. I can watch this Mikko one touch pass and rocket release from JTC all day.

Landy again with the deadly wrister and another awesome call from Moser.

And this great moment.

Some great unnoticed moments here too. Cliff Halstead fist bumping with Bennett behind the bench after the goal, and then they both fist bump Scott Woodward behind the glass.

Then Koekkoek going head first into the post after the goal. He must have had a headache today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->