GDT: GAME LI: Canucks @ Avalanche...wait...there's hockey again?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
And it's the right mindset to have.

Patience is key, even if posters on here dont share it. If we were 10 points higher in the standings then we are now maybe you could make a move or two for a rental. But we're not and the best course of action is to be patient and re-evaluate this team next summer once we know exactly what we have from Ottawa's 1st, our own 1st, and what the plan is with Makar/Kaut.

True, but getting after Howard for example to fix our desaster in net is something he could do NOW. At least if they don't trust Francouz to do a better job than the 2 scrubs who are failing us for the past 2+ month.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
COPIED (I'm not sure Bednar is the problem)

At the end of November the Avalanche were 1 point back of Nashville for 1st in the west. Since then...

- Avs have given up the 3rd least shots against in the NHL.
- Avs have given up 2nd least scoring chances in the NHL.
- Avs have given up 2nd most goals against.
- Avs have the lowest save percentage in the league.

It’s pretty clearly that goaltending is the issue here.

In 2019 it gets even crazier.

- least shot attempts against in NHL
- least high danger shot attempts against
- least scoring chances against
- 10th in goals for (they’re still scoring goals despite people thinking they aren’t)
- highest corsi for% in the NHL.
- .845sv% LOL

The Avs are preventing shots against. Preventing teams from getting to the dangerous areas of the ice. Outshooting teams every night. Scoring more than 2/3rds of the league. The goaltenders just can’t make a save.

The Avs are dominating hockey games and still losing every night. There’s been just 3 games since December 29 that the Avs reached .900sv% goaltending.

Makes me even more dislike this "clown-duo" between our pipes....:ha:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You guys can correctly criticize the goalers as much as you want, but again they didn't lose that game yesterday. Too many high quality scoring chances for opposing teams. For example, who the hell gave Boeser that much time to pick his shot and rip it? Not sure how that's Varly's fault there, no goaler would've saved that.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
You guys can correctly criticize the goalers as much as you want, but again they didn't lose that game yesterday. Too many high quality scoring chances for opposing teams. For example, who the hell gave Boeser that much time to pick his shot and rip it? Not sure how that's Varly's fault there, no goaler would've saved that.
For the past 2 games i think you're right. Can't blame them too much.

However ... the 377 games prior ... well ... that's a different story.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
How are the Avs record/stats since Cole got ejected for a clean hit vs Calgary.

For awhile he played over his head like a top pairing guy. Then it went downhill.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
A new coach isn't going to solve the secondary scoring and goaltending issues
That's true as far as this season goes. If a new coach comes in, Avs will probably win the 1st couple of games like most teams do under a new coach, i.e. the Oilers under Hitchcock recently, then they'll go back to losing and still close out the season on a losing end of things. If not this season, eventually this team will need a better coach when or if the Avs fix the secondary scoring and goaltending issues, upgrade the defense and whatever other issues they have.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I have a hard time believing that Sakic isn't going to pull the trigger on a move or 2 very soon.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
God I hope that doesn't happen. It's amazing how badly some people are wishing for Sakic to do the worst thing he could possibly do right now.
I don't want him to do anything that mortgages the future. I am very much on the "long term" train here. I'm hoping of something more along the lines of a player swap, or trading Varly. Maybe trade Barrie if the return is great.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't have an issue with Bednar or the coaching. I've seen the Avs as the better team for a majority of the games I've watched on the slide.

Avs must do something about the goaltending. I don't know if that's going to be this season, as we have two pretty much unmovable contracts in Grubauer/Varly. I don't expect Varlamov back next season, we could see Francouz or someone else brought in. We are kind of stuck with what we have.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't have an issue with Bednar or the coaching. I've seen the Avs as the better team for a majority of the games I've watched on the slide.

Avs must do something about the goaltending. I don't know if that's going to be this season, as we have two pretty much unmovable contracts in Grubauer/Varly. I don't expect Varlamov back next season, we could see Francouz or someone else brought in. We are kind of stuck with what we have.
I have a very bad feeling that Francouz isn't going to be given a sniff of an opportunity in the NHL this season due to Sakic having too much faith in Varlamov/Grubauer, and we're going to watch Francouz walk to a different team this summer that will give him an NHL spot.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
God I hope that doesn't happen. It's amazing how badly some people are wishing for Sakic to do the worst thing he could possibly do right now.

Conversely, it's just as odd to be against any move that might fix the problem. I understand that the Avs should be intelligent about managing the assets they have and not just spew them for short-term band-aids, but at some point, players become free agents, careers end. In the end, the game all comes down to spending those resources (contracts/rights) to take shots at winning.

That's not to say I think the Avs can contend for a cup this year, but the way the rest of the season turns out does matter when it comes to the way this team will continue to develop. I'm not saying Sakic should do something just to do something, but there is value in the shakeup that a change can make. A couple weeks ago, that move could have been to scratch Varly/Grubauer and start Francouz - now that's not an option, obviously. But if something crosses Sakic's desk like the spitballed Varly for Bobrovsky kind of deal - well, I'd be willing to make that kind of move to a) see if we can't scrape out another playoff series' worth of experience for this core and b) send the message to the locker room that the front office is willing to try to do what it takes to win.

I know people fearmongering about MacKinnon asking for a trade and all that are getting ahead of themselves, but we are at the point where each season is another valuable year in the prime of our core. It's reasonably likely that this season and last season will have been the best individual seasons of MacKinnon's career.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Coaching is a bigger issue than goaltending with this team IMO. Yesterday's loss for example wasn't on Varly, it was the whole team didnt show up to play again, and Bednar decided to break up the 1st line when that line is the only chance you have to win a game. Yeah that was smart coaching

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Coaching is a bigger issue than goaltending with this team IMO. Yesterday's loss for example wasn't on Varly, it was the whole team didnt show up to play again, and Bednar decided to break up the 1st line when that line is the only chance you have to win a game. Yeah that was smart coaching
It's more than just one thing, but by far the biggest problem is goaltending. By far.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This team's biggest problem is goaltending. Avs have been the better team in more games than not since December 1st. Varlamov and Grubauer are the reasons we are on the outside looking in today.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Agreed. The ideal time for a coaching change would have been at the all-star break and with the Avs record since December, I don't think too many people would have blamed him.

I think people that are angry that Sakic hasn't made a significant move just aren't seeing things for what they are : we just aren't good enough right now and we have too many holes. If a large majority of us can see it, why would anyone think that Sakic can't???

* Coaching has not been good enough, I think most people can see that. Ian Cole has been an abomination on most nights since early December and doesn't miss a shift (again last night - directly responsible for the 2-on-1 to get the scoring started for Vancouver with a completely MORONIC and unnecessary pinch). If Zadorov does that, he's healthy scratched for sure. You can't have that kind of double standard...players catch-on to that kind of horseshit and after a while nothing ends up working.

Bednar has 1 year left after this one. GMs don't usually keep 'lame-duck' coaches around in the last year of their deals. They are either extended or they are replaced. I'd bet on the latter happening right at the end of this season with the Avs bringing in a veteran coach to take them to the next level.

* Secondary scoring could use a significant boost. Our best options beyond the top line are all 24 and younger. That's usually not a great recipe for success. I think Bednar could have come up with different combinations that could have been successful like 6 weeks ago but now I just don't think it matters.

My anticipation is that Sakic is looking at building not just a decent 2nd line but a fantastic. So acquiring a guy like Hayes doesn't fit the bill but players like Stone or Panarin actually would, if they'd be open to signing with us.

* Goaltending hasn't won us a lot of games this year...those guys can be better than they have been but for whatever reason, they just haven't been good enough. If our own pick ends up in the Top-10, we might have a shot at the best goalie in the draft which could make the difference down the line.

* Defense hasn't been great on most nights. The first 2 months of the year, everyone seemed in-sync and played cohesively but that's all gone now. Hell, after the first 2 weeks of the season I remember thinking that Girard was gonna put up 30-40 points if he kept his play up - he's gone so far away from that player it's ridiculous and it's mostly just a confidence thing but I do wonder what they are saying to him when he gets back to the bench after a tough shift. (anyone catch Pratt barking at Girard but he wasn't even looking at him yesterday?)

I think in time Makar and Timmins will do wonders for us but I also think that an overhaul of the coaching staff will provide the guys we do have in place with some new life.

All in all, I think being a seller and having 2 high picks in this years draft would be amazing for this team, since we can't win with our holes or this coaching staff anyways.

As I mentioned before, I would hope that with some of the players that we jettison that we would not only target draft picks but up and coming players (like a kid like Connor Ingram - just an example).

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This team's biggest problem is goaltending. Avs have been the better team in more games than not since December 1st. Varlamov and Grubauer are the reasons we are on the outside looking in today.
It's more than just one thing, but by far the biggest problem is goaltending. By far.

There are a lot of things wrong with the team, goaltending is one of them yes, but it's not the only thing or the biggest problem. The biggest problem with this team as it's been for many years, when things are going right, they are winning games, when things start to go wrong, the players give up and there is just no fight left in them. Those are coaching and leadership issues, no one can show the neccessary leadership needed to get out of the slump. It's just too easy to blame goalies after every loss, but the fact is the entire team has lost confidence again, so to say goaltending is the only reason or the biggest reason is inaccurate.

Secondary scoring is a big issues, defense is a big issue, there are lots of turnovers which lead to goals. You cant just blame everything on goaltending

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad