GDT: Game IX: Avs at Blues | 6 PM MT | October 21, 2019

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm sorry but if Cale is fighting it, then what exactly are Cole, Zadorov and Graves doing out there? Because they were a million times worse out there than Makar last night. Makar was easily it 3rd best dman last night.

In fact I liked his overall defensive game tonight. Had a hiccup or two but overall he was making the simple plays to get the puck out of harms way. The only goal against he was on the ice for was that BS goal by Tarasenko that should never have gone in from a miserable angle. That one was on Grubauer.

The other three I mentioned earlier were a trainwreck last night.

I think Cale was better defensively last night, though there was a couple moments he got lucky. He's struggled in that area a lot this year, especially on dump ins, but that wasn't his issue last night.

His decision making with the puck is where he was still struggling. Overhandling the puck, and telegraphing his outlet passes. He's having trouble with the speed of NHL forecheckers, and it's leading to mistakes. He's also overthinking his options, and by the time he picks one, one or two forecheckers are putting a lot of pressure on him.

I've always supported Makar while others questioned his abilities, so don't lump me in with some of the hot takes about him. I only base my takes on what I see on the ice, and critique or praise where I think it's fair to do so, without regard for who it is. Good or bad.

Makar is having some rookie moments so far this year though, despite the points. I'm not overly concerned about it. I think he'll get it figured out, and get better as the season goes on, but he does have things he needs to work on.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
See it positively, gentlemen (and ladies), this needs to happen so prospects (only Kamenev and Nichushkin in this case because it's so damn early in the season) can get their chances. Avs are looking good and there are tons of time until the playoffs. No need to get scared. Plus, this might force MacKinnon to start his season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can they call up Greer when he's suspended in the AHL?

Rinaldo got suspended in the NHL a few years ago and got sent to the AHL just to immediately get suspended there. :laugh:

I think it works the other way around too, but I believe the suspension gets frozen until they're returned to the league it occurred.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think we need to call up anyone. Hopefully this gives Kamanev a chance in the line up on someone's wing.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Mikko started turning his left leg sideways just before his blade caught the ice. Which is probably why it caught the ice in the first place so abruptly. If he had kept his skate going straight like his right leg it might not have dug into the ice.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Mikko started turning his left leg sideways just before his blade caught the ice. Which is probably why it caught the ice in the first place so abruptly. If he had kept his skate going straight like his right leg it might not have dug into the ice.

I don't get your mode of thinking at all on this, the ice was crap and left the puck bouncing all over the damned place, yet you're blaming him for it!? Whatever dude.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I don't get your mode of thinking at all on this, the ice was crap and left the puck bouncing all over the damned place, yet you're blaming him for it!? Whatever dude.
Well I was pretty clear on my mode of thinking and bad ice or not he put himself in an awkward position imo.

No need to get all upset about it, dude.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
a 5th game in 8 days can't be overlooked leading up to this moment. a toe pick like that doesn't happen commonly. fatigue on bad ice and now we're here

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Well I was pretty clear on my mode of thinking and bad ice or not he put himself in an awkward position imo.

No need to get all upset about it, dude.

He is always upset. Constantly triggered on these boards and shouting people down.

I dont really agree with you. And I don't agree with him. Wasn't the ices fault. Wasn't Mikkos fault. Freak accident, as Henchy said. No fault to throw around and no point over thinking it.

He got hurt on a freak play and we can just hope its nothing that'll take him out for a long while or have lasting effects on his career.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Or if he was still holding out.

2pzj16.jpg

Oh shit this cracked me up hahaha. MVP post lol.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He is always upset. Constantly triggered on these boards and shouting people down.

I dont really agree with you. And I don't agree with him. Wasn't the ices fault. Wasn't Mikkos fault. Freak accident, as Henchy said. No fault to throw around and no point over thinking it.

He got hurt on a freak play and we can just hope its nothing that'll take him out for a long while or have lasting effects on his career.

Admittedly I have been needlessly grumpy. I should take a chill pill.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It's not like you plan to perform a trick when you trip on the stairs or fall riding a bike.
Yes, but you know what I mean. Why does his skate blade becomes perpendicular to the direction of motion just before he toe picks? Could it be related to him always falling down?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One guy I think is being coached completely wrong right now is Graves. He's the guy who is at his best playing a super-aggressive game. Laying out big hits, taking big shots, moving the puck, jumping into the play, and occasionally making the occasional risky play to trigger transition. He's not at all equipped to be that guy who sits back and try and block shots. They're trying to get him to play "safer" and that's simply not what you do with a guy like that. If you're not going to let him play the way he needs to play to succeed, just sit him and try someone else.

This is why, despite my usual praise of Jared Bednar, I'm still a little iffy on Nolan Pratt.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
One guy I think is being coached completely wrong right now is Graves. He's the guy who is at his best playing a super-aggressive game. Laying out big hits, taking big shots, moving the puck, jumping into the play, and occasionally making the occasional risky play to trigger transition. He's not at all equipped to be that guy who sits back and try and block shots. They're trying to get him to play "safer" and that's simply not what you do with a guy like that. If you're not going to let him play the way he needs to play to succeed, just sit him and try someone else.

This is why, despite my usual praise of Jared Bednar, I'm still a little iffy on Nolan Pratt.

On the other side of that Graves isn't nearly skilled or talented enough to play that way in the NHL consistently, if he's to stick in the NHL he has to adapt. (I'd argue he just doesn't have a long-term NHL future)

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Anybody have an exact quote from Landeskog on Mikko?

Listening to NHL Radio all morning and Stellick keeps mentioning how Landeskog didn’t seem concerned that Mikko’s injury is anything series but he didn’t say what Gabe said exactly.
Something, something, lazy training camp-missing, bambi-skating bum that we won’t miss, something, something.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad