GDT: Game IX: Avs at Blues | 6 PM MT | October 21, 2019

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
David J. Chao (@ProFootballDoc) Tweeted:
Best case high ankle sprain.
Worse case is instability with associated fracture.
Only one angle.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think this is finally the bad game.
nostradamus-9425407-1-402.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs looked just a touch slower than the Blues tonight, which is understandable at the end of a lengthy road trip.

Really hope Mikko is only out short term, but that did not look good. Even if it's just a high ankle sprain, that could bother him all year. Avs depth is gonna be tested if he’s out, because he is such a huge part of that top lines ability to maintain possession down low, and create chances. I think either Nate or Kadri is gonna have to step it up now with their lines and go on a streak.

Love seeing a pissed off Grubby. Don’t let that POS Perron chirp you after a loss. Hope Zadorov puts him through the glass next game.

They need to bet the PP figured out. If Mikko is out, they should go with Girard-Makar at the points, instead of Burakovsky or another forward. Nothing is clicking right now. Might as well see if turn and burn can create some space. Where they’re really struggling though is the breakout. They just can’t enter the zone clean and set up.

Cale's still fighting it. He needs to settle down, he’s trying to do too much, and he’s starting to question himself too. Hopefully this time off will help him. He needs to get back to seeing the plays, and then making them. Right now he’s telegraphing his passes too much.

On the PP Makar needs to start moving more laterally before releasing his shot. He’s too stationary and then he moves forward to attack the net, which makes it easy for the forward to get in the shooting lane. That attack the net move might be one he had success with in the NCAA, but he may need to set it aside in the NHL unless he's got plenty of time and space.

On the bright side EJ had another rock solid game. He has quietly been so good this season defensively. Really good with his stick breaking up plays, and blocking passes. Girard I though finally looked like himself and played a good game too.

Boys get a much needed three days off. Better get ready for a track meet though against the Knights in Vegas. If they come out sluggish in the 1st, they could dig themselves a deep hole early.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
A regulation loss was inevitable (and likely for the better to avoid the President's Trophy curse), but it looks bad that it was against St. Louis.
Enterprise Center is starting to look more and more like our damn kryptonite. For what it's worth, I hope the Avs and Blues do not meet in the playoffs this year, I hope our first round opponent is the Jets, and theirs is the Preds, and that we face the Preds in the second round.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Losing this game doesn't concern me in the slightest. You could tell from the moment Mikko went down with his injury that the rest of the teams focus shifted away from from the game itself.

What I am extremely concerned about is Mikkos injury. That did not look good at all, plus the fact he didn't return and the fact we dont have an update yet really leads me to believe the next news we do get is going to suck.

It would not surprise me if this is a 6 week injury for Mikko and the type that lingers for a while after that.

Reactions: 21 and BKarchitect

TequilaBay

May 30, 2019
Losing games unfortunately happens during a long season but losing Rantanen is not ok, hopefully he is fine and fully recovering quickly.

Same, though I'd also like to see if the Avs could prove they're not too dependent on Mikko as well. Dependency on one player could hurt them, especially in the playoffs.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Best case scenario is grade one sprained ankle.

From Google:
It usually takes 5 to 14 days to recover from a grade one ankle sprain. This is when slight stretching and damage occurs to the ligaments. With a grade one sprain, there is slight instability, pain, swelling, joint stiffness and trouble walking. Grade two sprains can take 4 to 6 weeks to heal.

This could be an ankle injury. It also could be related to the knee and more serious long-term.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Best case scenario is grade one sprained ankle.

From Google:
It usually takes 5 to 14 days to recover from a grade one ankle sprain. This is when slight stretching and damage occurs to the ligaments. With a grade one sprain, there is slight instability, pain, swelling, joint stiffness and trouble walking. Grade two sprains can take 4 to 6 weeks to heal.

I have no idea what Mikko is trying to do there, skating wise.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Avs looked just a touch slower than the Blues tonight, which is understandable at the end of a lengthy road trip.

Really hope Mikko is only out short term, but that did not look good. Even if it's just a high ankle sprain, that could bother him all year. Avs depth is gonna be tested if he’s out, because he is such a huge part of that top lines ability to maintain possession down low, and create chances. I think either Nate or Kadri is gonna have to step it up now with their lines and go on a streak.

Love seeing a pissed off Grubby. Don’t let that POS Perron chirp you after a loss. Hope Zadorov puts him through the glass next game.

They need to bet the PP figured out. If Mikko is out, they should go with Girard-Makar at the points, instead of Burakovsky or another forward. Nothing is clicking right now. Might as well see if turn and burn can create some space. Where they’re really struggling though is the breakout. They just can’t enter the zone clean and set up.

Cale's still fighting it. He needs to settle down, he’s trying to do too much, and he’s starting to question himself too. Hopefully this time off will help him. He needs to get back to seeing the plays, and then making them. Right now he’s telegraphing his passes too much.

On the PP Makar needs to start moving more laterally before releasing his shot. He’s too stationary and then he moves forward to attack the net, which makes it easy for the forward to get in the shooting lane. That attack the net move might be one he had success with in the NCAA, but he may need to set it aside in the NHL unless he's got plenty of time and space.

On the bright side EJ had another rock solid game. He has quietly been so good this season defensively. Really good with his stick breaking up plays, and blocking passes. Girard I though finally looked like himself and played a good game too.

Boys get a much needed three days off. Better get ready for a track meet though against the Knights in Vegas. If they come out sluggish in the 1st, they could dig themselves a deep hole early.
I'm sorry but if Cale is fighting it, then what exactly are Cole, Zadorov and Graves doing out there? Because they were a million times worse out there than Makar last night. Makar was easily it 3rd best dman last night.

In fact I liked his overall defensive game tonight. Had a hiccup or two but overall he was making the simple plays to get the puck out of harms way. The only goal against he was on the ice for was that BS goal by Tarasenko that should never have gone in from a miserable angle. That one was on Grubauer.

The other three I mentioned earlier were a trainwreck last night.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Our O-Zone entries last night were abysmal. Especially on the PP. We telegraphed exactly what we would do and they just stacked up at the blue line. Occasionally we changed it up and dumped behind them which gave us some success but it was frustrating watching the guys try the same shit over and over with the same results.

Having said that. There are some games that are ok to lose. This, despite being a division rival, was fine in my books. Crazy long road trip against some of the leagues top teams and we come away 3-1-1? Yea I'm ok with that.

Fingers crossed for rants and that the three days off gives the avs the rest they need to continue pushing forwards. We have to sort the shitty pp out though. The game last night would have been a lot different had we been able to capitalize on the PP (apart from the 5on3).

Reactions: missionAvs

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The BSN podcast was praising Jost in this game.

I thought he was noticeable in the first, but I swear to god I almost posted a message in the 3rd period asking you guys and gals if he had been benched, as it felt like he hadn’t been on the ice in eons.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Losing this game doesn't concern me in the slightest. You could tell from the moment Mikko went down with his injury that the rest of the teams focus shifted away from from the game itself.

What I am extremely concerned about is Mikkos injury. That did not look good at all, plus the fact he didn't return and the fact we dont have an update yet really leads me to believe the next news we do get is going to suck.

It would not surprise me if this is a 6 week injury for Mikko and the type that lingers for a while after that.

This times one million. Defending champs, team was on the back end of a pretty packed and tough stretch of games. Loss is not a big deal. Losing Mikko for an extended period would be pretty devastating.

Reactions: MacBradley

pcr3939

May 7, 2007
Sad to see a great player injured. But , I was wondering who do you think gets that plum assignment on the top line and power play?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Anybody have an exact quote from Landeskog on Mikko?

Listening to NHL Radio all morning and Stellick keeps mentioning how Landeskog didn’t seem concerned that Mikko’s injury is anything series but he didn’t say what Gabe said exactly.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Better to have this injury happen early where it can more fully heal. While Mikko is out the team is going to suffer which is why it was key we had a nice point cushion to start things out. I would not take the fact we know little about the injury now as a negative since the team is going home for a few days where a more complete work up is easier.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Still kills me that Mikko got injured from skating. Not an opposing player hitting him, not a slash but he was simply skating and hurt himself. We joke about his terrible balance and bambi legs but who would have thought he would hurt himself. Im actually kinda mad at him haha.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is just a throw away and move on game. It was bound to happen and the Avs were just not good the whole night. The worst part is I'm expecting Mikko to be out 6 or so weeks...

Reactions: MacBradley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->