Post-Game Talk: | Game #III | Pens vs Habs | OTL | Whole lotta yuck

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's always funny at the start of seasons. A lot of users choose a player or two to defend come hell or high water.
The justifications get more amusing as the evidence flows in, game by game. The bias just pours out shamelessly.
They are often not even their favorites on the team. They just feel that they're their designated reputation defenders...a role no one asked them to fill.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I didn't get to watch the game -- had too much going on personally.

Just based on stat-watching we really need to give the 4th line more minutes. We need them to relieve the oldies on the top 3 lines. Or: bump Carter down to the 4th line once Blueger is cleared to play.

Part of the issue is having a 4th line that you can trust. Just reading the posts here makes it seem like Archibald needs to be the 13th+ forward. Which we already expected.

It's weird how Sullivan has gone from "we need to roll four lines" to consistently burying his bottom pairing and 4th line the last few years.

Reactions: pistolpete11

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Man is POJ having a hard time right now. This is completely opposite how he should look right now. Him regressing so much at this point has really thrown a wrench into what should have played out this year with us flipping a defenseman and saving some cap.

We need to get Blueger back so they can slot Carter back where he belongs.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That's the 3rd line I assume.

While I agree it could work, the resulting McGinn-Poehling-Kap line is one I'd have serious reservations with.
Eh I honestly I’d be confident in that personnel on the 4th until they gave me reason not to.

Tbh I’d really like to see:
Heinen-Poehling-Kap
McGinn-Blueger-Carter

Roll both as equal b6 lines.

Reactions: vodeni

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It's always funny at the start of seasons. A lot of users choose a player or two to defend come hell or high water.
The justifications get more amusing as the evidence flows in, game by game. The bias just pours out shamelessly.
They are often not even their favorites on the team. They just feel that they're their designated reputation defenders...a role no one asked them to fill.
you could say the same with those that choose to hate on one guy.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't get to watch the game -- had too much going on personally.

Just based on stat-watching we really need to give the 4th line more minutes. We need them to relieve the oldies on the top 3 lines. Or: bump Carter down to the 4th line once Blueger is cleared to play.

Part of the issue is having a 4th line that you can trust. Just reading the posts here makes it seem like Archibald needs to be the 13th+ forward. Which we already expected.
I’m one of the crowd that doesn’t think Archie is going anywhere lol even though he sucks at actual hockey…he’s great at running around and throw hits though…once Blue is back, I’m expecting Poehling to sit….McGinn-Blue-Archie

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Trade McGinn and Waive Archi. get some youth in there

Jake - Sid - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Heinen - TB - Carter
DOC/Poehling - DOC/Poehling - Kap
Hallader

:)

OO and you can call Smith back up too.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It only took until Game 3 for the lackadaisical half-assery to show up and not even on a b2b lol…just wait until we get a couple games into the road trip w a 22-man roster…the Kings will be coming here on the last day of 3-game road trip and having to play 3 games in 4 days, and they’ll probably still smoke us as they usually do lol…

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Why the f*** are you here, your team won YAY, Petry you said was the reason your team won YAY . BYE
I made comment of Petry for a laugh. You kept bashing me for it. Other wise I probably would hve been one and done. Relax man.

btw.......Im all for the Bedard tank, so wanted and bet the Pens to win. We should have kept Petry and lost last night. ( ;

Cheers

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
That's the 3rd line I assume.

While I agree it could work, the resulting McGinn-Poehling-Kap line is one I'd have serious reservations with.
why, that could be a 3b line expensive one though, but it could provide a spark, worth of shot, but it won't happen cause for some unknown reason Carter and Kappy are designated duo

I’m one of the crowd that doesn’t think Archie is going anywhere lol even though he sucks at actual hockey…he’s great at running around and throw hits though…once Blue is back, I’m expecting Poehling to sit….McGinn-Blue-Archie
I don't think you are the one, I am 100% sure that Poehling will be bumped

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's weird how Sullivan has gone from "we need to roll four lines" to consistently burying his bottom pairing and 4th line the last few years.

Well to be fair, he doesn't have Cullen to roll out on that 4th line. That was a major Ace in the hole.

And I'm not sure I want to see MORE of POJ than what he's getting. He needs to earn it. Right now he's "treading water" with his assignments. Not drowing, but not really making headway. Recognize it's only 3 games though

Rutta could get a slight uptick in his mins and I think we'd be fine.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Same and honestly what has Poehling done to deserve being in the line up?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Carter hasn’t been AWFUL but I’m not sure why he’s being used as this two way ace. He doesn’t have the jump/energy/hustle for it.

He is an offense only poacher at this stage. Which is fine. But use him as such.

Part of me wants a Heinen-Blueger-Carter line with him at wing.
Yeah, I get having him around because the room loves him and he's good on the draw and faceoffs, but he's not really the two-way answer there or on the PK outside of his skills in the dot.

It's just weird that we're throwing him out in these situations when it's becoming increasingly clear it's not working. :dunno: Like sure, keep him around for vet leadership and secondary scoring, but maybe manage some of those defensive minutes?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Same and honestly what has Poehling done to deserve being in the line up?
What have Hallander or DOC done to deserve being in the lineup? Or any of our young guys. None of them had stand out camps/pre-seasons other than Poulin. Archibald has played well and added some physicality to the 4th line. Poehling and McGinn have been fine. So many people want guys to play just because they're young with no other reasoning.

Poehling will likely be scratched when Blueger comes back anyways.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well to be fair, he doesn't have Cullen to roll out on that 4th line. That was a major Ace in the hole.

And I'm not sure I want to see MORE of POJ than what he's getting. He needs to earn it. Right now he's "treading water" with his assignments. Not drowing, but not really making headway. Recognize it's only 3 games though

Rutta could get a slight uptick in his mins and I think we'd be fine.
I mean, the obvious solution is to try to find a newer version of Cullen that can handle those minutes, not playing the 4th line more to play less.

Reactions: Gurglesons

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Carter hasn’t been AWFUL but I’m not sure why he’s being used as this two way ace. He doesn’t have the jump/energy/hustle for it.

He is an offense only poacher at this stage. Which is fine. But use him as such.

Part of me wants a Heinen-Blueger-Carter line with him at wing.
I think This is where Carter would excel. Let him take the face off when we need a right-handed guy

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
What has Hallander or DOC done to deserve being in the lineup? Or any of our young guys. None of them had stand out camps/pre-seasons other than Poulin. Archibald has played well and added some physicality to the 4th line. Poehling and McGinn have been fine. So many people want guys to play just because they're young with no other reasoning.

I was talking about Poehling over Archibald when TB comes back. I never said replace Poehling with them. But I see Poehling and DOC as very similar. I wish they were actually both up competing against each other for a spot. I would rather play both over archibald just to see what they have in them now instead of late season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What has Hallander or DOC done to deserve being in the lineup? Or any of our young guys. None of them had stand out camps/pre-seasons other than Poulin. Archibald has played well and added some physicality to the 4th line. Poehling and McGinn have been fine. So many people want guys to play just because they're young with no other reasoning.
I don't like Archibald's tendency to chase hits instead of picking his spots, but even I'll admit he's not been a huge problem the first three games. I'd bench McGinn over him 100% of the time as it stands. Poehling has been fine, but neither TB nor Poehling are really the long term 4C answer if we want to get back to the old Sullivan model (which is itself a question that should be answered).

That doesn't mean there aren't worrying things about Archibald's game per se, just that the 4th has a bit of an identity crisis at the moment. It's not defensive enough to be relied upon for lots of shutdown minutes. It's not really offensive enough to make other teams worry about defending it. It's not really physical enough to keep people's heads on swivels. It's a step in the right direction, but it's not really clicking yet, and I don't think people should get too weird about that.

Not that weird considering our fourth line sucks.
I like that we're trying to make it suck less than previous seasons, but I sure hope they don't just go "eh" and leave it as is because TB's a homegrown talent and we spent money for McGinn and Archibald.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I was talking about Poehling over Archibald when TB comes back. I never said replace Poehling with them. But I see Poehling and DOC as very similar. I wish they were actually both up competing against each other for a spot. I would rather play both over archibald just to see what they have in them now instead of late season.
They'll get games soon enough when IRmageddon 2022 strikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad