First goal

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ok I am now officially on the fire Sullivan train. The man is given a generational talent and he's got ideas on how to improve his game?

EK is a unicorn. He's great because he doesn't have to follow the rules. He made a play at the offensive blueline last game where he deked out a defender as the last man back. If anyone else does that then you bench them for a month. EK can make that play consistently so he gets to do it whenever he thinks it's there. That's why he's the highest paid defenseman in the league.
Goat-unicorn = Karlsson.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sideline

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
“We think we can grow his game defensively so that we can turn him into the useless plug and PK expert that I prefer to have playing on the ice” — Mike Sullivan

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The tiny part of my brain that hasn't been crushed under apathy and pessimism says "Well, this is gonna be a turning point for Dubas' view of Sullivan". But I know better.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The tiny part of my brain that hasn't been crushed under apathy and pessimism says "Well, this is gonna be a turning point for Dubas' view of Sullivan". But I know better.
Dubas iced Mike Babcock when everyone in hockey thought of Babcock as an all time great coach and Dubas as a 12 year old dork. I'll give him a year before I judge on that front.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The more that I hear and see Sully doing just the dumbest **** that would even make Dan Bylsma blush, the more I think Dubas is only here because FSG just kept throwing money at him until couldn’t say no.

I don’t think he’s stupid enough to think the current (and future) state of this team and lifetime appointed coach was actually a smart career choice for him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The more that I hear and see Sully doing just the dumbest **** that would even make Dan Bylsma blush, the more I think Dubas is only here because FSG just kept throwing money at him until couldn’t say no.

I don’t think he’s stupid enough to think the current (and future) state of this team and lifetime appointed coach was actually a smart career choice for him.
I mean, I'll make a dumb career choice for like $40 million every time. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Mike Sullivan is blameless, guys. Somehow this isn't actually his roster, either. EK was foisted upon him and he's just trying to coach him up and instill some stick-to-it-ivness to him. Really get to his game, you know.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think it was Marek who was saying Dubas was brought in to rebuild the Penguins and everything about winning is a facade.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I forget who said it, it's been literally years ago at this point, but the "Sullivan cannot be wrong, only wronged" was true then, and has been evergreen since. :laugh:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah this is just a prelude to the REAL action... watching Mike Sullivan develop the next core of the Pittsburgh Penguins!
No way he’s coaching through a rebuild. He’ll get a bag from the Devils or some contender.
I think it was Marek who was saying Dubas was brought in to rebuild the Penguins and everything about winning is a facade.
Could see this but I also think there’s real desire to win in the next year or 2.

just business wise, if you could get a deep run or two then “choose” to rebuild on a high note- I feel like that keeps a lot of fans glued to the team. If they just fizzle out before a rebuild you lose more casual eyeballs imo.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
As a Caps fan, I really love seeing how the dynamic has shifted from pure hatred to begrudging respect to just straight up respect for each other between the teams.

It definitely helps that the Caps finally beat the Pens and went on to win the Stanley Cup and then both teams immediately cratered into overwhelming mediocrity and then finally fell out of the playoffs at the exact same time.
We do not respect the caps

Reactions: Factorial

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Well, the EK move doesn’t really support that.

I understand they likely want him around for the rebuild but I still think they have the impossible expectation that you can be a contender and rebuild at the same time. It just doesn’t work like that. Even if you strike gold and win a lottery for a big talent, you still have to suck at least a year.

I don't think it'll be Dubas' last job, tbh. Dude probably has another 25 years before he simply retires.
If he completely Hextall’s the job here, I could see teams not so eager to offer him the GM role for awhile. Sure he could get a lesser role, but I don’t know that he would want that.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well, the EK move doesn’t really support that.

I understand they likely want him around for the rebuild but I still think they have the impossible expectation that you can be a contender and rebuild at the same time. It just doesn’t work like that. Even if you strike gold and win a lottery for a big talent, you still have to suck at least a year.

If he completely Hextall’s the job here, I could see teams not so eager to offer him the GM role for awhile. Sure he could get a lesser role, but I don’t know that he would want that.
I think it takes a special kinda stupid to follow in Hextall's footsteps, and I don't think Dubas possessed that. I don't think Dubas is gonna be perfect, and I have no hope this team's gonna legitimately compete for a Cup again in the next decade, but again--Hextall was a Mike Johnston-level buffoon.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Btw I love how we're all so wound the f*** up as the era dies down that, for the umpteenth time, the most predictable word trash to come out of Sullivan's mouth just sets us all foaming at the mouth like Ren in the space station episode of Ren and Stimpy. :laugh:

ice-cream-bar-ren-hoek.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Btw I love how we're all so wound the f*** up as the era dies down that, for the umpteenth time, the most predictable word trash to come out of Sullivan's mouth just sets us all foaming at the mouth like Ren in the space station episode of Ren and Stimpy. :laugh:

ice-cream-bar-ren-hoek.gif

I honestly just think it's funny. I've long since stopped being legitimately wound up about anything on this team.

Yeah buddy... you're gonna coach up the 3X Norris winner when you can't even run a powerplay that doesn't look like a dumpster fire with three HOFers on it and you haven't brought along a prospect of note for years. Sounds good.

Let's ask Kapanen how that elite coach's touch worked out for him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I honestly just think it's funny. I've long since stopped being legitimately wound up about anything on this team.

Yeah buddy... you're gonna coach up the 3X Norris winner when you can't even run a powerplay that doesn't look like a dumpster fire with three HOFers on it and you haven't brought along a prospect of note for years. Sounds good.

Let's ask Kapanen how that elite coach's touch worked out for him.
Yeah, I'm deeply rooted in apathy since the Habs series. Now I kinda love when they bungle things up in chaotic and hilarious fashion because at least it's -something- as opposed to the zero event hockey that Sullivan salivates over.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I think I was neutral towards Sullivan at a time when most of this forum had soured on him. Eventually, towards the end of last season, I came around on the notion that his shelf life here was up. And while I don't actively route against the team, per se, I will say that opening game stung, and at this point, I'd rather them drop several games early and axe the coach than watch the team see-saw only for the inevitable canning to drag out further...

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I'm deeply rooted in apathy since the Habs series. Now I kinda love when they bungle things up in chaotic and hilarious fashion because at least it's -something- as opposed to the zero event hockey that Sullivan salivates over.

Who doesn't like a good meltdown? Maybe we'd actually see some emotion out of this team (outside of the usual handful of guys who get immediately drug for the audacity) for a change.

This is all bonus time, anyway.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad