pittsburgh-penguins-washington-capitals.gif

Sully:

1696885734934-png.750440

Karlsson:

0i6Xqoy.gif

200w.gif

giphy.gif

pittsburgh_penguins_logo_primary_20004054.png

As a Caps fan, I really love seeing how the dynamic has shifted from pure hatred to begrudging respect to just straight up respect for each other between the teams.

It definitely helps that the Caps finally beat the Pens and went on to win the Stanley Cup and then both teams immediately cratered into overwhelming mediocrity and then finally fell out of the playoffs at the exact same time.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
EK is quoted saying, "I watch a lot of TV"? Wat de heck is that?
EK is a proud boob-tube'r ... got it!

• Haha
Reactions: Ugene Magic

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Caps are in decline and OVI was a 100 foot player now probably a 50 foot player. But against the Pens seems Mr. Dot will strike again.
we will be one of the few teams that won't cover him on the pp

Friedman is probably the only one that is crazy enough...
Wilson is a big bloke.
better chance it would be one of the new guys that didn't get sully's memo.

Reactions: LOGiK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I won’t be able to watch this game…hopefully that’s a positive for them since my negative vibes won’t get in the way lol…theyre going to have to play a 180 from the way they did on Tuesday…I’m not convinced they can do so under this coach but we’ll see: at what point does the coach stop banging his head against the wall and realize the team can’t “be hard to play against,” that it’s antithetical to how he wants them to play and the roster he helped create lol..

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Don't think I'll be able to see this one tonight as I have RL obligations (the horror).

If we can keep me and @Andy99 from watching the Pens might just win this one

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I won’t be able to watch this game…hopefully that’s a positive for them since my negative vibes won’t get in the way lol…theyre going to have to play a 180 from the way they did on Tuesday…I’m not convinced they can do so under this coach but we’ll see: at what point does the coach stop banging his head against the wall and realize the team can’t “be hard to play against,” that it’s antithetical to how he wants them to play and the roster he helped create lol..
don't talk to me about last season. this is a new team, new season.

Don't think I'll be able to see this one tonight as I have RL obligations (the horror).

If we can keep me and @Andy99 from watching the Pens might just win this one
there are plenty of us jinxers, you don't worry...

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
As a Caps fan, I really love seeing how the dynamic has shifted from pure hatred to begrudging respect to just straight up respect for each other between the teams.

It definitely helps that the Caps finally beat the Pens and went on to win the Stanley Cup and then both teams immediately cratered into overwhelming mediocrity and then finally fell out of the playoffs at the exact same time.

The Pens with Sid and the Caps with Ovi have often felt like a bit of a sibling rivalry. You end up in the knockdown, drag-out brawls over who's better precisely because of how similar they've been. Getting beaten by the Caps was always especially annoying because of that, but I've always had at least a grudging respect for them as well.

I reserve my true hatred for the Flyers, anyway! :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I think both fanbases are content with the legacies of their players at this point. Ovechkin finally got his cup and smythe is going to get the all time goal record. Sid got his three cups and two smythes and his legacy in the hockey world is secure.

Both guys have delivered and then some on the hype.

Anything that Sid/Geno/Ovechkin do playoff-wise for the rest of their careers is pure gravy, no matter how thirsty any of us are for more playoff success. I don't think at this point that either fanbase is nervous about how their favorite players will be viewed in the years to come. They're legends. For a while there I think there was nerves about oh what if Ovechkin never wins a cup, how does he get viewed then? Or oh what if Sid only wins the one cup, what's his legacy? With all the injuries and just the one cup, is that a disappointment?

But now they both have trophies galore and lots of successes. They're secure and so the fanbases feel the same way.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Tristan Jarry starts in goal tonight against the Capitals, the first game of a back-to-back set for Pittsburgh, which means Alex Nedeljkovic will likely make his Penguins debut on Saturday night at home versus Calgary. But of course, we’ll confirm that when the time comes.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Once again Sullivan trying to turn players into something he wants to be instead of letting them thrive playing their game.

"He won the Norris last year, but we think we can help him reach a level only Chad Ruhwedel has reached"

Sullivan misusing/totally wasting our EK65 acquisition??

Shocking!!!!

Not. :rolleyes:

I knew this would happen. I just didn’t think it would be so soon….

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Once again Sullivan trying to turn players into something he wants to be instead of letting them thrive playing their game.

"He won the Norris last year, but we think we can help him reach a level only Chad Ruhwedel has reached"

Weird how we never catch defensive criticisms about Rust or Sid despite them largely being responsible for the game going from 2-0 to 3-2.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Ok I am now officially on the fire Sullivan train. The man is given a generational talent and he's got ideas on how to improve his game?

EK is a unicorn. He's great because he doesn't have to follow the rules. He made a play at the offensive blueline last game where he deked out a defender as the last man back. If anyone else does that then you bench them for a month. EK can make that play consistently so he gets to do it whenever he thinks it's there. That's why he's the highest paid defenseman in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad