GDT: Game #9 Sharks vs Sabres @ SAP Center 1pm PDT - Crummy Doodles Getting Weird

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
**** this, I'm going to bed early, feeling a bit under the weather today.

I expect to see a Fire Doug Wilson thread when I wake up.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I totally disagree. I think this is who this team has been for a while now. I feel like I could prove it, but kinda hard on short texts.

And how does making a conference final help us at all? If we can't compete for a cup and aren't getting better, what's the point?

Sure, there's no point in just making the conference finals, but if all it took was marginal improvements to get there (CBO Burish, not signing Hannan or Scott), then couldn't we make the finals with a major improvement? I think we could have. Leddy was available, Sekera will be at the deadline. I think either one would've done the trick.

At this point, I'm all for really rebuilding. I'd just hate to look back and think we were potentially a couple players away from a Cup and then go through years of a rebuild -with no guarantee of ever getting this close to it.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I knew it was you Jumbo.

1508.gif

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I totally disagree. I think this is who this team has been for a while now. I feel like I could prove it, but kinda hard on short texts.

And how does making a conference final help us at all? If we can't compete for a cup and aren't getting better, what's the point?

Every Cup team is a conference finals team. **** happens, it's hockey. The #1 D of the other team could get taken out of the series, then you're in the finals.

But you have to be at least that good to have a shot. The Sharks were that good. They aren't anymore thanks to the ******** that happened this past offseason.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Back from the tank, and it was ugly, ugly, ugly.

First, Thornton was playing like a minor league who clears waivers going back and forth with ease.
Second, the defense was bad. Failure to clear the puck out of the blue zone, not passing the puck but swatting it any which way they could.
Third, the offense was disjointed, never looked where they were passing, and if by chance the pass was on target, it was likely flubbed.
Fourth, Hertl was not quick with his shot off his stick, much slower at the start of this year than last year.
Fifth, Sharks are not hitting but skating like it is open time at Sharks ice. Hertl was getting pounded on occasion, but no real response from the Sharks enforcers.

DW needs to trade Thornton, or Thornton needs to realize it's time to go. I'd trade him for a defensive player and a 1st, while moving Burns back as a forward. Defense sucks with or without Burns.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
DW needs to trade Thornton, or Thornton needs to realize it's time to go. I'd trade him for a defensive player and a 1st, while moving Burns back as a forward. Defense sucks with or without Burns.

Sleeping for the past 5 months?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The ability to move the puck and transition from defense to offense is a big problem right now for them. The defending portion did well even with the two mistakes that happened with Irwin and Hannan on the ice. And while Stalock lost that puck on the 2nd goal, he and the defensive play was good enough to win but they couldn't move the puck efficiently enough out of their zone and couldn't do much of anything in the attacking zone. They didn't really get much in the way of rebound opportunities or much of any interior scoring opportunities in the slot area. A lot of perimeter stuff.

Couture and Tierney's lines did well. Thornton's line got better as it went along but the entire team had no urgency the first two periods. Mueller played better but he's still pretty far away from being top four material. He'd be good in Irwin or Hannan's spot pairing with Demers on the 3rd pairing. Just another example that they need a good PMD on the left side capable of top four minutes and their team would be pretty much fixed to a large extent.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Please call up a woostahs d man.

Please move pavs down.

Please remove shep to a different line

Please stop handcuffing this team.

We have the skill. We have the coaches but man they are stubborn.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
WTF, glad we can get two of their guys their first goals and their first regulation win of the season. We are a generous team to play against.

crappy d coverage again.. made me sick to watch this one.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Our best line this year (arguably) has been the Marleau - Couture - Nieto line...

... So they change it to put a 3rd liner (at best) on the wing.

Our D is more concerned about trying to hit stretch passes to exit the defensive zone rather than taking the opportunity to skate it out with pace.

Thornton is too slow with the puck through the neutral zone.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Hannan, Irwin, and Mueller played as much even strength time as Braun and Vlasic did. I don't mind Mueller playing that much but even with Hannan and Irwin's **** ups, they played them just as much.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Life would have been so much better if Doug Wilson had waited until AFTER the playoffs to re-sign Thornton and Marleau. Thornton was in love with being captain and there's zero chance Patty would have left home for even 75% of the offer of other teams in free agency. Giving both a NMC before the season ended really hogties the franchise to them, when JT at least could use a new scene.

So,... yeah, a "Fire Doug Wilson" thread at this point would be apt.

I am the first person in Internet history to suggest that Joe Thornton be waived.

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
So sick of this apathetic BS from the players and management.

Losing to the Sabres with only 15 shots against is disgusting.

Quick, someone scapegoat Mueller and Tierney! What a fkn joke. . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad