GDT: Game 9: Columbus vs. Ottawa | 10/28 7PM EDT

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
No way. The guy turned his back on Tropp just before he got there.

Yes he did, this will save Tropp a suspension. However, at full speed I find it hard to believe there's a way for the officials (the back ref made the call) not to call that a major. I know I would have.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yes he did, this will save Tropp a suspension. However, at full speed I find it hard to believe there's a way for the officials (the back ref made the call) not to call that a major. I know I would have.

This. Although Tropp may be suspended anyway, because who the hell knows about the NHL's discipline structure

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

That's a textbook charging penalty. NOT a "checking from behind" penalty.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Biggest takeaway from tonight for me is to never take Bob for granted. The way Curtis plays drives me up the wall, some of the goals were softies for sure. He reminds me so much of a fish out of water, flailing around, and still cannot hold a puck if his life depended on it. Not putting this loss entirely on him, but there certainly was a better backup out there somewhere this offseason, and that's on Jarmo for standing by this guy. True he got us through 5 or 6 tough weeks last season, but the guy is simply not a quality NHL starter, cut and dry.

JKG08

Oct 6, 2014
Southern, OH
Seeing jack Johnson interviewed makes me realize how much we are missing Dubinsky . Dubinsky would be pissed, and hold the guys accountable. I know we have a lot of injuries , but damn, 5 to 2 loss to ottawa at home . Johansen, now might be a good time to take a leadership role, and that means when u are one of the better shooters healthy, shoot the damn puck. Murray was bad tonight

I've been saying for the past year (not on HF since I only recently joined, but on another forum) that Dubinsky is the leader of the team and deserves the C on his jersey. I think not having his leadership in the looker room and his two way skill on the ice is hurting this team far worse than people realize. If Dubinsky was matched up against the top line in the Dallas game, I firmly believe we win that one.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Biggest takeaway from tonight for me is to never take Bob for granted. The way Curtis plays drives me up the wall, some of the goals were softies for sure. He reminds me so much of a fish out of water, flailing around, and still cannot hold a puck if his life depended on it. Not putting this loss entirely on him, but there certainly was a better backup out there somewhere this offseason, and that's on Jarmo for standing by this guy. True he got us through 5 or 6 tough weeks last season, but the guy is simply not a quality NHL starter, cut and dry.

We can certainly agree on that. Although the first two weren't his fault, that still gives us three goals to discuss compared to our two.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I've been saying for the past year (not on HF since I only recently joined, but on another forum) that Dubinsky is the leader of the team and deserves the C on his jersey. I think not having his leadership in the looker room and his two way skill on the ice is hurting this team far worse than people realize. If Dubinsky was matched up against the top line in the Dallas game, I firmly believe we win that one.

Well, I'm not seeing strong leadership from Johnson (at least not on the ice).

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

I think if we were to name a captain of this team today, he would be it. However, I'm guessing they are holding it for Boone Jenner in a couple seasons.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Not reading too much into this game. Fourth game in 6 nights after west coast trip. Limited lineup. Anisimov taken out. Boll jumped to fight twice. Overreacting refs in Tropp penalty. All that killed our energy level by end of 5 minute penalty against Tropp and the Sens get go ahead goal. Hoping a couple of the guys missing are back Friday.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know it sucks, but if the team is able to hold serve and keep afloat by the time everyone but Horton comes back (because god forbid MORE injuries) we'd be in a really good spot. To be honest, they're not playing terrible, they're just not converting and the defense/goalie has let them down a little bit. Just hold our head above water for the next month, we'll be fine.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The first period was all CBJ.....too bad that they couldn't have had a lead leaving that period. Puck movement was outstanding 5v5 and on the PP. Thought that Savard's goal right after the BS early whistle non goal was poetic justice. Two games in a row for that.

Like everyone has said, it's gonna be tough to win when you're playing 2.5 4th lines, playing your 4th game in 6 nights after some coastal travel and playing a back up goalie. Still, had Ottawa not gotten their 3rd goal immediately after Hartnell was robbed, the CBJ could have won this deal.

Hope that Asinimov is ok. Ridiculous head shot deserves a substantial suspension for Gryba. Whoever tried to gouge Boll's eyes needs some time in the cooler as well.

Murray isn't quite there yet, but it's only his second game.

Atkinson's goal was sweet. Savard's as well.

Gotta just hold on tight until this roster is at least significantly restored to health. Thank the Hockey Gods that there are only 4 games in the next 10 days and that two of them are against Carolina.

Hate to see the league going full pacifist. Stopping fights as early as they are is just a prelude to banning them entirely. A huge mistake in my book. Lack of fighting is killing the minor leagues. I can't imagine how the NHL thinks eliminating the one part of the game everyone knows it for is going to help the league.

Have Adam Cracknell and Colton Gillies ever been seen in the same room together?

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Pinching too much, turnovers and bad passes in the D zone, throwing it out in front of his own net, etc.

Not going to just blame JJ. He isn't the only reason that we have given up 21 goals in 5 games.

I said this during the West Coast trip. This team is giving up way to many in close chances, and committing way to many turn-overs. This is not tight checking CBJ hockey. They are once again trying to skate with these teams and it aint working. Especially with so many starters out.

The CBJ succeed when they play a tight defensive game, create opportunities off a hard fore-check, and cash in on turn-overs.

Richards needs to put his thumb down on the boys and get them playing CBJ hockey again, no matter who is in the line-up.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
The CBJ succeed when they play a tight defensive game, create opportunities off a hard fore-check, and cash in on turn-overs.

Richards needs to put his thumb down on the boys and get them playing CBJ hockey again, no matter who is in the line-up.

Exactly. HCTR needs to get them playing CBJ hockey. It is tough now, but they need to step it up. JJ is very disappointing so far.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Honestly, the dirtiest incident of that night wasn't either of the hits.

Chris-Neil-640x431.jpg

What a dirtball.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Regarding the Boll thing, I was at the game and pretty unhappy with Neil (he's better than that) - but then this morning I saw the footage below (start at 1:38) of Neil getting Boll's attention in the penalty box, explaining he was going for the helmet. If Boll is ok with it I guess we should be.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Regarding the Boll thing, I was at the game and pretty unhappy with Neil (he's better than that) - but then this morning I saw the footage below (start at 1:38) of Neil getting Boll's attention in the penalty box, explaining he was going for the helmet. If Boll is ok with it I guess we should be.

Neil was patting Boll on the back as the linemen were stepping in. Perhaps he was already trying to explain. I was pissed, to, and felt Neil should have had to answer for the eye poke, but if this is the case, then...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00