Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Avalanche @ Lightning | Avs win 2-1 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Looks like my luck at games continues, loved the game except for the third period.

Boy does Guenin stand out in a negative way even more in person than on TV.

Duchene looked equal parts good and bad, one shift he looked great, and the other he looked horrible. You can definitely tell him and Landeskog are not in sync, but Skille did some positive things and for-checked hard.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You mean like last year when he was going through his cold streak, Roy (at first) kept giving him PP time but then took him off because he still wasn't doing anything? (and replacing him with McLeod...but I'm not inclined to kick up that hornet's nest again)

Yeah, like that. Don't do stupid stuff like replacing him with McLeod. Keep Duchene out there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think so, but I have the attention span of a gadfly and get drawn to bright lights and sudden movements. The sudden Mack giveaway caught my attention. Didn't see the penalty being drawn.

It was great, he dragged Hedman around the zone and then drew a penalty on top of it.

I might be wrong but Duchene strikes me as a player and person you just should keep giving ice time and show confidence in when he is going through his struggles. Like, don't worry Matt, we know you are good player, keep doing what you're doing and the points will come.

I don't think putting pressure on him is the best idea. He probably is over thinking and worrying waaay too much as it is. Like not playing him on a PP or in a 6 on 5 at the end of game. I think those things get into his head too much.

He just doesn't strike me as someone you need to light a fire under. The effort is always there.

I really don't think Matt is more "streaky" than any other star player with similar production rate. It just has become a thing that people talk about and now is in Matts head too much.

I agree the last thing he needs is even more pressure, just some guys get messages in different ways. He is an emotional player, that doesn't bother me because it's who he is. It's their job to manage him, it doesn't mean he's a lesser player.

Landy has been uneven this season too just in a different way. I'd also like to see more from EJ and Barrie. Duchene does get the brunt of it a bit more than the others do.

If Duchene hasn't seen a sports psychiatrist, maybe it's time.

He has, I'm sure he still is

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
You mean like last year when he was going through his cold streak, Roy (at first) kept giving him PP time but then took him off because he still wasn't doing anything? (and replacing him with McLeod...but I'm not inclined to kick up that hornet's nest again)

Yes.

The PP was a seperate team issue IMO. Replacing him with players like McLeod is only gonna hurt Duchene and the team short term and long term.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, like that. Don't do stupid stuff like replacing him with McLeod. Keep Duchene out there.

Yes.

The PP was a seperate team issue IMO. Replacing him with players like McLeod is only gonna hurt Duchene and the team short term and long term.

So when he's not doing anything, and the offensive play is dying on his stick (which was the case last year), and spoonfeeding him PP minutes isn't working, because the play is dying on his stick, the solution is...continuing to do that?

But when things aren't working for other players, Roy is demanded to "adjust" and "try something different".

Makes sense.

Somehow both of you missed my point and honed in on the McLeod part...which isn't surprising. Robin, the PP was most definitely a team issue, but the play was DYING on Duchene's stick last season when he was in his slump, so it's not like he can't be taking heat for that. But let's ignore that what you posited has been tried with ZERO positive effects from it

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So when he's not doing anything, and the offensive play is dying on his stick (which was the case last year), and spoonfeeding him PP minutes isn't working, because the play is dying on his stick, the solution is...continuing to do that?

Yes.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

This is ridiculously dumb.

You have a player that is KILLING the play, but let's keep him giving him minutes! Hell, isn't what people were hating on Iginla for, and want him demoted to the 3rd line?

****ing ridiculous. I should hope you never ask for Roy to "adjust" when things aren't working for certain players, because I'm just going to refer back to this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

You have a player that is KILLING the play, but let's keep him giving him minutes! Hell, isn't what people were hating on Iginla for, and want him demoted to the 3rd line?

****ing ridiculous. I should hope you never ask for Roy to "adjust" when things aren't working for certain players, because I'm just going to refer back to this.

I mean, ideally you'd try something different with the PP set up because what they were doing wasn't really working for anyone. However, if the coaching staff isn't going to adjust and their only solution is sending 4th liners out there, might as well keep him out there. You act like Duchene was the only issue on the PP and the reason it was ranked 29th in the league.

Refer back to whatever you like.

hold3n

Registered Loser
Jul 15, 2011
London, ON
Alright guys... I did it... but poorly:

mytwodads.png

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I mean, ideally you'd try something different with the PP set up because what they were doing wasn't really working for anyone. However, if the coaching staff isn't going to adjust and their only solution is sending 4th liners out there, might as well keep him out there. You act like Duchene was the only issue on the PP and the reason it was ranked 29th in the league.

Refer back to whatever you like.

No, again missing the point. That when he was in a slump, he wasn't just getting his regular 5v5 shifts, but was being given the supposed "easy minutes" on the PP (or "prime minutes", whatever you want to call them) and it didn't work to get him out of his slump, the play continued to die on his stick (and it wasn't just him, I already agreed that the PP was still a TEAM problem, but he was among the glaring issues during his slump). Thus, Robin's request of "giving him more minutes when he's in a slump" has actually been tried, and it certainly seemed like he played just as bad, and if it wasn't just as bad, it certainly was no better.

[EDIT]

And just to clarify. I'm NOT in favor of cutting Duchene's minutes...but we have seen that he tends to go "1 dimensional" and tends to not use his linemates when he's in a slump, so I don't think the answer is MORE minutes.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

I think there is a difference in how you handle an aging 38 year old and a young star player whos future could pretty much make or break this organizations chances of success.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
So tonight Zadorov played only 12 minutes, Beauch played 26, EJ 23, Holden 19, Guenin also played the same-ish as Zadorov, and Barrie 18.

Don't like this need to see Zadorov on the ice more and Barrie should be pushing into the low-20s.

Zadorov looked bad tonight tbh. I love him but he wasn't good.

[Edit]

Other thoughts:

Mackinnon is great, really is. When he plays with confidence he can take over games. I guess I'm one of the few people who didn't particularly like Skille on the second line. Duchene was on and off and Landeskog was pretty bad. The third line is pretty solid and had some good possession. I really want to see Grigorenko play with talent 5vs5. In the second (I think) he slowed the play down in the neutral zone and entered their end with a slick deak and no one was with him. He can slow down the play and create space. I like the approach Roy is taking with him and I suppose I'm getting impatient. I trust Roy's plan but I like how he plays his off-wing and would look great with Duchene and Landeksog me thinks. Plus that reunites our dominant 4th line, win win. Oh yeah, Varly is beast.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Zadorov looked bad tonight tbh. I love him but he wasn't good.

Have to agree with this one, he looked tentative tbH. Like his confidence was shaken. I'm not that surprised with his age, and the way the team is playing.

The whole team is under pressure not to make mistakes, and a young defender is going to feel that pressure quite a bit. We're going to see some games like that with him, but I'm not worried. He will hopefully even out over the course of the season as long as he keeps getting consistent ice time.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Well, I got to watch the 3rd on DVR after my game. Nice to see they held on, I was a bit concerned after they gave up that goal.

I see things on here are the same as always. An appetizer of cheers and jeers with a full serving of infighting

So here goes my foray into the fun:
- Liked that MacK adjusted his game a bit and became the space maker for the old dudes. He definitely opened up some ice for those guys to make some impact. Tanguay may have had his best game of the year.
- Didn't really see much after the first out of the Dutch and Landy line. They were solid, but not as dynamic as I hoped. Hopefully Roy sticks with it though maybe even throughout this trip. Give em a chance to work out some cohesion.
- No one really made me cringe tonight overall.
- The power play was ugly again
- Overall, it was a good win, and hopefully one that carries over tomorrow.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd be fine with them bumping Duchene down and trying Landy/Soderberg for a little bit. I feel bad for Dutchy and have been one of his most vocal defenders, but the kid ain't a kid anymore...he needs to figure it out on his own how to be an effective player even when the puck isn't going in the net. Maybe using him in an easier depth role will help.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Have to agree with this one, he looked tentative tbH. Like his confidence was shaken. I'm not that surprised with his age, and the way the team is playing.

The whole team is under pressure not to make mistakes, and a young defender is going to feel that pressure quite a bit. We're going to see some games like that with him, but I'm not worried. He will hopefully even out over the course of the season as long as he keeps getting consistent ice time.

Yeah I'm not surprised or worried at all. Zadorov is a massive boy, 6'4" 225? He's still pretty raw and has all the potential in the world. Some games he'll look great (already has) and some he'll look a little tentative (tonight). Once (if) he figures it all out he can be a dominating defensemen. Very excited and happy to have him a part of this team. Also, get Gormley in for Guenin. Guys useless.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I'm not surprised or worried at all. Zadorov is a massive boy, 6'4" 225? He's still pretty raw and has all the potential in the world. Some games he'll look great (already has) and some he'll look a little tentative (tonight). Once (if) he figures it all out he can be a dominating defensemen. Very excited and happy to have him a part of this team. Also, get Gormley in for Guenin. Guys useless.

Yeah, watching Guenin live was even more gut wrenching. The game is always so much faster in person. You see all of the little mistakes he makes behind the play as well, he gets beat everywhere on the ice.

He has to let his man get ground on him so often because the only other way for him to keep up would end up with him in the box. Little things like receiving a pass, or the absolute weak sauce he puts on his passes. He looks like hes playing hot potato with the puck.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd be fine with them bumping Duchene down and trying Landy/Soderberg for a little bit. I feel bad for Dutchy and have been one of his most vocal defenders, but the kid ain't a kid anymore...he needs to figure it out on his own how to be an effective player even when the puck isn't going in the net. Maybe using him in an easier depth role will help.

The thing is he hasn't even been that bad. I think he has actually been pretty good the last few games but isn't getting any bounces going his way. He's also our best faceoff guy and has been pretty solid defensively IMO. I'd prefer him staying right where he is in the lineup. I certainly don't think Soderberg has been any better.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's becoming painfully obvious this team has not enough Top 6 talent. It's basically the Mackinnon show with two old geezers, a head case (Duchene), a Swedish third line grinder, and a half blind Swedish third line grinder.

Edit: Ok ok, Landeskog is not a third line grinder. The rest is true.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's becoming painfully obvious this team has not enough Top 6 talent. It's basically the Mackinnon show with two old geezers, a head case (Duchene), a Swedish third line grinder, and a half blind Swedish third line grinder.

I will say this, Tanguay and Iginla played with a lot of energy tonight. If they could keep that up even 90% I'd stop complaining about either one of them.

Iginla worked his ass off in the O-zone compared to other games this season. Seen him take some hard hits on the boards to make plays fighting for the puck, and fought a lot harder to get space in the slot.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not going to judge Zadorov or anyone who is playing with Guenin. There simply is no way anyone can be expected to carry that slug and a 20 year old kid?

Zadorov shouldn't have to do that. He should be put in a situation where he's not feeling like he has to cover for his partner.

I still think they should go back to Zadorov/Barrie and let them figure it out.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Only caught the third. But holy moly was Varly fired up.

A wins a win. Doesn't have to look pretty but needed to stop the slide. Look better tomorrow and all the sudden things aren't so bad and we can even think about getting out of October not completely out of it.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
My best guess to get Duchene going would be to give him PK time.

First, it would give him more ice time, allowing him to stay in the game easier or get into the game. Second, it forces him to simplify his game and focus on discrete tasks (active stick, covering lanes, pressure, stops and starts). Third, he looked pretty good at it his rookie year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad