Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Avalanche @ Lightning | Avs win 2-1 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK Avs

Nov 29, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't get to watch the game, unfortunately, but I saw some of the hightlights. I was curious to see what the units were; looks like the lines and D-pairing stayed the same as OP indicated, but what were the PP and PK units? Did I see Johnson out there with Barrie on the top unit?

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I was carving a pumpkin during the game so my focus wasn't entirely on the game, but wasn't MacKinnon horrible on the PP? I don't like blaming players on mistakes like some of the posters here, but he was definitely to blame for killing the 5v3 by himself. Glad he was great 5v5, but I thought he really struggled on the power play.

And Tanguay, the dude gets one goal like Duchene and goes crazy with confidence after that, him and Iginla both looked like they were 30 years old again. I thought Duchene didn't have a good game yesterday, but as long as I see effort, the points and bounces will come.

I noticed this too. Kind made me laugh how hard they were working and pushing the play following that goal. Hope they do it again tonight.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I thought Varlamov and MacKinnon looked great last night. Other than the MacKinnon turnover on the PP he played great. I also thought Tanguay played his best game of the year. He had a lot of jump and was playing like he was 10 years younger. Iginla wasn't quite as good as Tanguay but he played well too.

Duchene, Landeskog, and Zadarov didn't look good... at all.

Lots of people have been complaining that Duchene gets stuck with Iginla and never gets any decent wingers to play with and that's why he has been struggling. However, put the crap wingers with MacKinnon and they all play great. Meanwhile, Duchene gets to play with the Avs best winger and they both crap the bed. The sample size is obviously way too small however it does make me wonder if it's the wingers bringing Duchene down or Duchene bringing his wingers down.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought Varlamov and MacKinnon looked great last night. Other than the MacKinnon turnover on the PP he played great. I also thought Tanguay played his best game of the year. He had a lot of jump and was playing like he was 10 years younger. Iginla wasn't quite as good as Tanguay but he played well too.

Duchene, Landeskog, and Zadarov didn't look good... at all.

Lots of people have been complaining that Duchene gets stuck with Iginla and never gets any decent wingers to play with and that's why he has been struggling. However, put the crap wingers with MacKinnon and they all play great. Meanwhile, Duchene gets to play with the Avs best winger and they both crap the bed. The sample size is obviously way too small however it does make me wonder if it's the wingers bringing Duchene down or Duchene bringing his wingers down.

I feel pretty confident at this point in saying Mackinnon is a better hockey player than Duchene so it makes some sense that Iginla looked better with him.

As for Landeskog, he's looked like crap for several games now. All but one of those were with Mackinnon so based on that and the fact that Duchene looked a lot better than Landeskog last night makes me think that maybe Landeskog is just in one of his terrible slumps. He's due for a few every year.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I feel pretty confident at this point in saying Mackinnon is a better hockey player than Duchene so it makes some sense that Iginla looked better with him.

As for Landeskog, he's looked like crap for several games now. All but one of those were with Mackinnon so based on that and the fact that Duchene looked a lot better than Landeskog last night makes me think that maybe Landeskog is just in one of his terrible slumps. He's due for a few every year.
I agree, MacKinnon is a lot better player and has a much higher ceiling right now.

if Landeskog is in a slump, Iginla and Tanguay are too old to play with Duchene, and Skille is a 3rd/4th line winger, then who is suppose to play with Duchene? Grigorenko and Rantanen? The Duchene needs better wingers theory is kind of running out of options.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Better to me is not Mitchell, Talbot, etc. Landy is the best option Duchene has right now and by default the other one will be a bottom 6 type because we only have one not ancient top 6 winger. I know, Grigo is going to have to get a roll at some point.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Better to me is not Mitchell, Talbot, etc. Landy is the best option Duchene has right now and by default the other one will be a bottom 6 type because we only have one not ancient top 6 winger. I know, Grigo is going to have to get a roll at some point.
It wasn't working with Igina this year. Tanguay is just as old and slow. They tried Comeau and Skille without any luck. They're trying Landeskog now and so far no good. Other than Grigorenko and Rantanen who is left?

At some point Duchene has to figure it out and it's not the winger's he's playing with. MacKinnon didn't seem to have a problem with Iginla and Tanguay at least for one game.

member 116861

Just finished watching the game,I'm happy that Tanguay, Iggy, and Varly finally showed up.

Time for Duchene, Landy, and Barrie to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad