Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Avalanche @ Lightning | Avs win 2-1 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
- PP; for some reason we still haven't seen the Barrie, MacKinnon, Iginla, Landeskog and EJ PP unit that was so deadly before Barrie's suspension. And Iggy playing on the point continues to be a disaster.
- Landeskog; I love you man but jesus christ. Skille was a great and Duchene keeps looking good without having any puck luck or offensive confidence, but holy hell was Landy not himself today. What I wouldn't give for that line to have a big game.
- The team playing scared-to-lose in the third. I get why they're doubting themselves, but playing like that will cost us when Varly isn't on form. Hopefully Varly can steal us another win or two if this game doesn't give them some confidence to build on the next time they step on the ice.

-For sure the PP just isn't good enough to move the puck around all that much like classic Malkin/Crosby/Letang used to (do?) on the Pens. They need to shoot it and have some net presence (they did have some of that tonight.

-Landeskog playing better in the future should really help if he sticks with Duchene but I'm worried that either Roy will break up that MacKinnon/Tanguay/Iggy line or that the two old guys on that line won't be able to play as well as they did tonight, Mac I'm not worried about thoguh some days teams do a better job of covering him.

-We always play scared and get outplayed in the 3rd and basically have to get good goaltending going back to Roy's first season. That's why I'm not a fan of him, even when we win, it's uncomfortable to watch usually. If Varly stays consistent and the D is good then we should get some wins this way.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd probably play Varly tomorrow. He's had plenty of rest and he was great tonight.

Plus Varly always does better when he can play a ton and get into a zone than when he's in & out of the lineup.

Berra's done well this year, but I'd let Varly try to get on a roll here.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Mack is clearly the player that will carry this team on his back. I think he gets close to a PPG this season. His decision making is way better this year.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy was critical of Duchene in the postgame, said he's not sure he had a good game, and that the save at the start of the game might have stuck with him.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Postives:
- Varly went full Varly.
- MacK and the Geriatrics did really well together
- Soderberg's line had a good game and earned us that second goal with their work in the ozone on the previous shift.
- Another positive game from Holden, his confidence with the puck is completely different from the terrified icing-machine he has been for us and that was a great play with his stick at the end there.
- Greg got some PP time!
- And we got the win! You could see how tense they got in the third so thank god Varly stepped up and carried it home. The awful early schedule at the start of the year + Barrie's suspension has them really tight and lacking in swagger. They need a few wins in games where things do bounce their way and then a big break out game to really get mentally fit, but eeking this out was crucial.

Negatives:
- PP; for some reason we still haven't seen the Barrie, MacKinnon, Iginla, Landeskog and EJ PP unit that was so deadly before Barrie's suspension. And Iggy playing on the point continues to be a disaster.
- Landeskog; I love you man but jesus christ. Skille was a great and Duchene keeps looking good without having any puck luck or offensive confidence, but holy hell was Landy not himself today. What I wouldn't give for that line to have a big game.
- EJ's still not himself and doesn't look like he's healthy enough for the kind of minutes we all want him to play.
- The team playing scared-to-lose in the third. I get why they're doubting themselves, but playing like that will cost us when Varly isn't on form. Hopefully Varly can steal us another win or two if this game doesn't give them some confidence to build on the next time they step on the ice.

Terrific post, man!

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
We beat a good team on the road. Solid. Also, I had a quote I was going to pop up there, but i decided against it. you are welcome mods.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Roy was critical of Duchene in the postgame, said he's not sure he had a good game, and that the save at the start of the game might have stuck with him.

As I said on Twitter...it can be understandable to agree (somewhat) with what Roy is saying. We, as a fanbase, know that Duchene (for whatever reason) has some mental struggles when it comes to hockey and when he's struggling to score. We can keep hoping he'll grow out of it, but I think there's some fairness to start to wonder if it'll ever happen, now that he's in his 7th season in the league.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As I said on Twitter...it can be understandable to agree (somewhat) with what Roy is saying. We, as a fanbase, know that Duchene (for whatever reason) has some mental struggles when it comes to hockey and when he's struggling to score. We can keep hoping he'll grow out of it, but I think there's some fairness to start to wonder if it'll ever happen, now that he's in his 7th season in the league.

Roy is starting to push that button and maybe it does need to be pushed in a different way, like how he's being more critical publicly. I do think it's fair to wonder if this is who Duchene is but it's going to be more how to manage it. A lot of guys have one issue or another on ice or off ice, it's up to the leaders to manage it and get the most out of him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I watched the highlights. Mackinnon had a nasty giveaway on a 5 on 3, but I can't fault him. Mackinnon is a beast, carrying this team.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Roy is starting to push that button and maybe it does need to be pushed in a different way, like how he's being more critical publicly. I do think it's fair to wonder if this is who Duchene is but it's going to be more how to manage it. A lot of guys have one issue or another on ice or off ice, it's up to the leaders to manage it and get the most out of him.

It's just a bit disappointing, as a fan (and I'm sure he's disappointed too) because we all know how good he can be, he knows how good he can be, but when things aren't going as smoothly for him, it certainly appears as if he just is always in his own way. Like you said, maybe the button needs to be pushed in this manner to evoke some positive differences in Duchene's play.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Was the penalty he drew on Hedman in the highlights?

I don't think so, but I have the attention span of a gadfly and get drawn to bright lights and sudden movements. The sudden Mack giveaway caught my attention. Didn't see the penalty being drawn.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I might be wrong but Duchene strikes me as a player and person you just should keep giving ice time and show confidence in when he is going through his struggles. Like, don't worry Matt, we know you are good player, keep doing what you're doing and the points will come.

I don't think putting pressure on him is the best idea. He probably is over thinking and worrying waaay too much as it is. Like not playing him on a PP or in a 6 on 5 at the end of game. I think those things get into his head too much.

He just doesn't strike me as someone you need to light a fire under. The effort is always there.

I really don't think Matt is more "streaky" than any other star player with similar production rate. It just has become a thing that people talk about and now is in Matts head too much.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Best part of that presser was him joking about the PP being good and saying now the internet people can bash him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I might be wrong but Duchene strikes me as a player and person you just should keep giving ice time and show confidence in when he is going through his struggles. Like, don't worry Matt, we know you are good player, keep doing what you're doing and the points will come.

I don't think putting pressure on him is the best idea. He probably is over thinking and worrying waaay too much as it is. Like not playing him on a PP or in a 6 on 5 at the end of game. I think those things get into his head too much.

He just doesn't strike me as someone you need to light a fire under. The effort is always there.

I really don't think Matt is more "streaky" than any other star player with similar production rate. It just has become a thing that people talk about and now is in Matts head too much.

You mean like last year when he was going through his cold streak, Roy (at first) kept giving him PP time but then took him off because he still wasn't doing anything? (and replacing him with McLeod...but I'm not inclined to kick up that hornet's nest again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad