GDT: GAME #8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's a lie. They've been frittering away youth/pure futures in order to make the team better now, in order to compete now.

Linden's TSN1040 interviews attest to this.

I know you will over complicate what's been said, but it's quite simple: Fans are upset because they don't like the direction of the team. Not only in how it is conveyed, but also in how it is executed. That's really it.

I know you will oversimplify what has been said, as you just have, but it's quite simple...they're not "frittering away youth/futures" for anything resembling "playoffs at any cost" assets.

The pieces they're acquiring are younger pieces, pieces who are going to be here for a number of years, or young pieces to audition who might also be able to help them now. Pushing for the playoffs has always been the clearly stated goal of this management group since they arrived, whether they achieve that or not...but so too has rebuilding and starting to assemble a new future core. Which is also clearly happening.

That they're not dominating the league while rebuilding, should hardly be surprising or all that upsetting to fans who actually follow some of the rest of the league outside of the center of the universe in Vancouver.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Is nobody bold enough to try the 'split up the Sedins' line-up challenge?

Yes, they are great. But they are the same player now, and I still love them.

Nobody?

Why not just stick Hansen with them to give that line some speed and jam (and scoring, too)? It's the obvious solution. The Granlund, Sutter, Hansen line is fine, but it's hardly some WCE that you just can't touch. Put Eriksson on a line with Bo or Sutter or whoever, or maybe on a plane to one of Tony Robbins' self-help/brainwash sessions to get in touch with whatever it is that's wrong with him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Thank you.

As I've said prior, Pratt yaps about this as well...as he has vastly misjudged the level of aptitude of the majority of Nuck fans:

We will always, and continue, to support our team - as long as we see the direction we are headed.

It seems as though the dissatisfaction with the "direction" comes largely from completely unreasonable and unrealistic expectations, and an apparent inability to follow a "direction" that isn't 100% black and white linear in this idiotic "Cup or bust" vs "Tank or bust" dichotomy. :dunno:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
"Playoffs at all costs" season hasn't been on the docket since this management group arrived. It's consistently been, "try for playoffs, keep collecting and integrating youth". I have no idea why that concept is apparently so completely incomprehensible to so many Canucks fans.

At all costs? Maybe not. But you're kidding yourself if you think that this team isn't doing pretty much everything it can within reason (and sometimes without) to try to make the post season. You don't sign a guy like Eriksson for 6 years, try to sign Lucic for 6-7 years, try to trade for a guy like Subban, spend to the cap, and trade prospects and picks for older players if you're in a holding pattern and are focused on development.

Never mind that coaching, management, and the team's captain have all explicitly stated that while development was a goal last season, this year their priority is winning and making the playoffs. And that pretty much has to be their goal because Desjardins is probably out of a job if the team flops and Benning will be behind him soon enough barring a big turnaround.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why not just stick Hansen with them to give that line some speed and jam (and scoring, too)? It's the obvious solution. The Granlund, Sutter, Hansen line is fine, but it's hardly some WCE that you just can't touch. Put Eriksson on a line with Bo or Sutter or whoever, or maybe on a plane to one of Tony Robbins' self-help/brainwash sessions to get in touch with whatever it is that's wrong with him.

Yeah. I think there was a compelling reason to avoid tinkering with that Granny/Sutter/Hansen mix when they were on fire and the team was eeking out on top of those 1-goal games. But at this point, i think it's fair game to start cannibalizing that line to get some other units going better.

The Twins just look deathly slow (especially in a game like this) and Eriksson really isn't getting the job done there. Hansen has shown that he can work well there, and he's by far the best option for injecting some functional speed on that Sedin line right now.

Not sure which of Virtanen and Eriksson slots in on which of the other lines, but this team really needs the Sedin line to be going, and they're not right now. Getting Eriksson and/or Virtanen going as well would just be a swell side effect if it happens.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The amount of people in this thread who seem to legitimately want the Canucks to look like the Oilers of the past decade is absolutely sickening to me.

"Who cares about defence, giving an honest effort, or playing responsible hockey, let's just watch them **** around and try to score goals with no repercussions!" :laugh:

Strawmen

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

My humble reason is; this is not the same Twins this year. We might want to think of what might work, instead of what worked in the past.

Do you really think anyone on the right wing would work right now? I would love to think putting Hansen there would work too.

Unfortunately, the Twins are not the same Twins as last year.
But I do hope you are right bud! I'd be happy.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Just my opinion....but I think the Benning stuff should go in the appropriate thread...this thread is about the game.

Disappointing result (though not unexpected - didn't think they would win but neither did I think they'd be 'blown out'.).

My humble reason is; this is not the same Twins this year. We might want to think of what might work, instead of what worked in the past.

Do you really think anyone on the right wing would work right now? I would love to think putting Hansen there would work too.

Unfortunately, the Twins are not the same Twins as last year. But I do hope you are right bud! I'd be happy.

Nothing really to lose though at this point - might as well 'reunite' that line.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
At all costs? Maybe not. But you're kidding yourself if you think that this team isn't doing pretty much everything it can within reason (and sometimes without) to try to make the post season. You don't sign a guy like Eriksson for 6 years, try to sign Lucic for 6-7 years, try to trade for a guy like Subban, spend to the cap, and trade prospects and picks for older players if you're in a holding pattern and are focused on development.

Never mind that coaching, management, and the team's captain have all explicitly stated that while development was a goal last season, this year their priority is winning and making the playoffs. And that pretty much has to be their goal because Desjardins is probably out of a job if the team flops and Benning will be behind him soon enough barring a big turnaround.

There's a vast middleground between "win at all costs" and a scorched earth rebuild that it seems many people are looking for in this transitional phase for the Canucks.

Does signing Eriksson forfeit them a Top-5 pick like Juolevi? Prospects like Boeser, Virtanen, Demko, or young players like Horvat, Baertschi, Hutton, Gudbranson? No. That's still a clear emphasis for them...assembling a future core. They're simply bolstering the current team with some young guys who can play now, and some UFAs who cost nothing in draft picks/futures.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Is Linden the biggest IDIOT in town??? I think so and so do millions of others i bet

yoss

May 25, 2011
now canucks have 8 5vs5 goals thru 8 games

thought it may improve as the oilers give up more 5vs5 goals than any other team in the league, but no

and 1 goal in 8 first periods.

First goal of game given up 7 of 8 games.

Shutout streak of whatever it's at, 130+ minutes, etc. etc.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
Well, the Oilers did their level best to wear the Canucks down physically through out-hitting and out-skating the Canucks. We may see a fatigued Canucks tomorrow.
There was a lot of effort, but... the finish was lacking.
It would be nice to see sustained pressure in the opponent's zone, but other then the Sedins, there really aren't any players who know how to play the cycle. It's a whole lot of one and dones. Back and forth hockey, which seems exciting at first glance, but generally makes for poor offense, unless you have a game-breaking player like McDavid.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well, the Oilers did their level best to wear the Canucks down physically through out-hitting and out-skating the Canucks. We may see a fatigued Canucks tomorrow.
There was a lot of effort, but... the finish was lacking.
It would be nice to see sustained pressure in the opponent's zone, but other then the Sedins, there really aren't any players who know how to play the cycle. It's a whole lot of one and dones. Back and forth hockey, which seems exciting at first glance, but generally makes for poor offense, unless you have a game-breaking player like McDavid.

I know they're not robots; but this early in the season & after just one game like this?

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Great. Looking to have top 4 regular potential, potentially even 1st pairing. He's just such a good puck mover and so slick with the puck. If he was taller, he would have been a very high draft pick.

Yep. If Benning was not in charge, I'd sell Tanev....massively high.

Why not? Who would not like an exciting top six, and a nice top round pick?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Just my opinion....but I think the Benning stuff should go in the appropriate thread...this thread is about the game.

Disappointing result (though not unexpected - didn't think they would win but neither did I think they'd be 'blown out'.).

Nothing really to lose though at this point - might as well 'reunite' that line.

I am not at all disappointed.

Every loss is another stone on the mountain that will soon come down and crush someone - WD, or Benning, I care not.

I am, however, generally satisfied with our D-corps. Gudbranson has been solid, everyone else has been playing well. Sbisa needs to dig himself a hole in the middle of northern BC jump in and never come out.

I interpret Daniel's reaction to the loss as sign of our Orca boys' subtle protest to the worst coach and worst GM in Canucks history.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yep. If Benning was not in charge, I'd sell Tanev....massively high.

Why not? Who would not like an exciting top six, and a nice top round pick?

Me too, but apparently selling Tanev would be a terrible thing..

I mean, can you get much worse trading Tanev? I would welcome it because we desperately need a rebuild.

Stecher - Gudbranson as a top 2 on the right side is really not bad at all, ESPECIALLY while we're rebuilding.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I know you will oversimplify what has been said, as you just have, but it's quite simple...they're not "frittering away youth/futures" for anything resembling "playoffs at any cost" assets.

The pieces they're acquiring are younger pieces, pieces who are going to be here for a number of years, or young pieces to audition who might also be able to help them now. Pushing for the playoffs has always been the clearly stated goal of this management group since they arrived, whether they achieve that or not...but so too has rebuilding and starting to assemble a new future core. Which is also clearly happening.

That they're not dominating the league while rebuilding, should hardly be surprising or all that upsetting to fans who actually follow some of the rest of the league outside of the center of the universe in Vancouver.

There you go over complicating things again... They failed the re-tool a while ago.

They are giving up _even_younger_pieces to get those age gap pieces, therefore giving up more years of service in the process.

Speaking of the stuff "outside the bubble" have you seen this GM poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2098909&page=7

There's a vast middleground between "win at all costs" and a scorched earth rebuild that it seems many people are looking for in this transitional phase for the Canucks.

Does signing Eriksson forfeit them a Top-5 pick like Juolevi? Prospects like Boeser, Virtanen, Demko, or young players like Horvat, Baertschi, Hutton, Gudbranson? No. That's still a clear emphasis for them...assembling a future core. They're simply bolstering the current team with some young guys who can play now, and some UFAs who cost nothing in draft picks/futures.

There _was_ a middle ground between a rebuild and competing. It's called a "re-tool". They messed it up.

What you are seeing is a team that has failed a re-tool, not this special rebuild on the fly/competing for the playoffs but not imperative tripe...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The true evidence of this will be if WD gets fired this year. I think this will finally, hopefully, wake some fans up as to what they think the organization's mantra is and what is actually happening.

If they're not dead set on making the playoffs, why would WD get fired for missing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad