GDT: GAME #8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Just my opinion....but I think the Benning stuff should go in the appropriate thread...this thread is about the game.

Disappointing result (though not unexpected - didn't think they would win but neither did I think they'd be 'blown out'.).

Nothing really to lose though at this point - might as well 'reunite' that line.

That sounds like a 'Willie comment'.

Should we put that in a different thread, or address the issues at hand?

I get what your saying bud, but we should probably try to look forward; and try new things.

Constantly looking back, and seeing what worked in the past, while not paying attention to what has changed, leads to where we are now.

I guess I just feel we need to have someone leading us, that looks at future potential; not past production.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There you go over complicating things again... They failed the re-tool a while ago.

They are giving up _even_younger_pieces to get those age gap pieces, therefore giving up more years of service in the process.

Speaking of the stuff "outside the bubble" have you seen this GM poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2098909&page=7

There _was_ a middle ground between a rebuild and competing. It's called a "re-tool". They messed it up.

What you are seeing is a team that has failed a re-tool, not this special rebuild on the fly/competing for the playoffs but not imperative tripe...

There you go oversimplifying again. So you want to sift every single building process in the entire NHL into 3 neat and tidy bins. "Rebuild", "Re-Tool", "Contending". :laugh:

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
In a pub and everyone here is an oilers fan. Embarrassing.

I was at the game and it was even worse. Clearly the AB economy is in the tank and they've all moved to BC. Probably had to sell their 4x4 and snowmobiles in order to afford their shiny new McDavid jerseys and tickets to the game.

It was a pretty good game. The Canucks had some chances but no one can put the puck in the net.

Finally, damn does Henrik ever look old out there. It was really depressing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That we should rebuild? You think we shouldn't?

No.

That we should abandon the idea of having a team that plays responsible 2-way hockey, gives a good effort, tries to win close games by sticking to their structure. That we should play "run 'n gun hockey" and lose with lots of goal-scoring and entertainment instead.

I haven't the faintest idea what makes that appealing after watching the Oilers do just that for the past decade. Nor how that would be even remotely feasible at this point in the rebuild. :dunno:

It's like some people are upset that the Canucks are trying to make the most of their current situation by playing hard, and putting together a structured defensive game.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
There's a vast middleground between "win at all costs" and a scorched earth rebuild that it seems many people are looking for in this transitional phase for the Canucks.

Does signing Eriksson forfeit them a Top-5 pick like Juolevi? Prospects like Boeser, Virtanen, Demko, or young players like Horvat, Baertschi, Hutton, Gudbranson? No. That's still a clear emphasis for them...assembling a future core. They're simply bolstering the current team with some young guys who can play now, and some UFAs who cost nothing in draft picks/futures.

Regardless, it's undeniable that where their intentions and actions fall on that "win now" ---> "rebuild now" spectrum is completely divorced from the realities of this team. They were one of the worst teams in the league last year and are almost universally predicted to be one of the worst this year, yet they're making moves like they're still a decent bet for the playoffs and just need to tinker with a few spots on the roster and supplement with a few veterans. They're getting all the losing and misery of a tank team without the benefit of stockpiling assets for the future.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what the plan is because they're doing a poor job realizing it no matter what. They need to draft a new core yet they go into each draft with a deficit of picks and end up trading other prospects for players that can help immediately. They're a team that is absolutely the bottom of the barrel in offense over the last 3 seasons yet their big trade acquisitions have been a 30 point 3rd line C and a 10 point #4/5 defenseman. They're an asset poor team that needs anything it can get, yet they can't get a single piece in return for their players at the deadline.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good effort by the team. I don't think there is a lot to criticize. However, this team can not score enough to cover up for any mistakes they make. McDavid factor clearly huge. Changes uniforms and we likely win fairly easily. As it is, we may be back to the 80's when we couldn't handle Gretzky.

The Good

Miller - team has no problem in goal. Both Miller and Markstrom have been good. Giving their team a chance every game. When Miller is on top of his game he is elite.

Larsen - played inspired against his former team. His ability to force some offense and still get back was evident. Thought he was efficient in his own end and puck movement and offensive support were very good. Has the knack of finding open ice with his speed and passing. Big need now is for him to start to score.

Stecher - Can't see how he is not in your starting 6. His stretch passes were on the money all game. Moves very well off the puck and constantly provides good outlets. Not getting physically overwhelmed. This player has a great motor and brings it every shift

Skille - starting to look more and more like a bona vide NHL player. Took the puck to the net and forced the play in the offense end. Created chances which others muffed

Gudbranson - played physical and strong in his end. Good at getting people off the puck and moving it up to the forwards. Also, with Hutton getting out of position, Gudbranson had to do a lot of covering up. Good at forcing the play in the neutral zone and moved the puck up well. Been a very good acquisition so far.

The Bad

Edler - was slow in everything he did. Always had to take the extra time to steady puck on his stick and the extra moment to see the pass, the extra second to get off his shot.... Little alertness in his play and mostly just moved the puck over to Stetcher to do the work.

Hutton - the little mistakes he makes in reads and coverage are hurting the team. I would say, again, that this player did not have the time at a lower level to learn how to consistently process the game. Makes moves in the mid ice that are just a tad too slow or too dangerous and that allow for odd man rushes. Saw it on the McDavid goal and a few other times tonight and in other games. However, only experience is going to help this situation and the team is going to have to live with these glitches to get the long term benefits out of Hutton. One problem here is that defense and goaltending have to be almost air tight to cover up for the lack of offense.

Others

Sbisa - had no problem with Sbisa in this game. Can make him a whipping boy on some nights but he was fine in this game. Gave the team some physical push back and was skating well enough to force the play wide and got involved offensively.

Baertschi - don't think you can say he was bad but he must begin to bury chances. That miss in the third was inexcusable for a player who must score goals to be a contributor at this level.

Virtanen was fine. Used speed to get into passing lanes and to get himself open enough to make plays. Expectations on this player are probably too high leading to frustration on the part of the fans. He is player learning his craft and on a pretty bad team (not a good situation) and expecting him to be an offensive leader on the team is expecting too much. There is a dynamic quality to Virtanen that needs to be developed. You hope the team doesn't trade him away for some quick fix. Might be that Willie would to do this and maybe the confrontation with the coach might be a situation Willie can use to this. You hope not but elements of the Neely situation seem present. Canucks must retain the young talent they have.

Thought Hansen played ok but it was probably his most ineffective game to date.

No results but I thought it was Eriksson best game so far.

Sedins must be better in their own end. Created a ton of chances and Talbot had to be good but also a ton of chances against.

Megna actually looked decent before his injury. Showed a good turn of speed. With the injury to him and Gaunce looks like the whole starting 4th line is out.

Team needs more out of Horvat. Not playing bad but need him to get to the next level.

Seems like team don't mind icing the puck against us. They seem convinced the Canucks can't do much with ozone face-offs.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
There you go oversimplifying again. So you want to sift every single building process in the entire NHL into 3 neat and tidy bins. "Rebuild", "Re-Tool", "Contending". :laugh:

Bud. Do you really like the direction our management is taking us in?

I respect your thoughts, but yes or no.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Liked the effort, and enjoyed the game, but man we need to find a way too put the puck in the net.

we've been saying that for almost 3 4 years now. its the same old ****. sedins 1 line everyone else passsengers. defense is improved but they wont score u alot of goals. its the changing of the guard. the twins have regressed

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
We play the caps and habs next, Holtby + Price

We might actually beat the record of being shutout if we lose

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Me too, but apparently selling Tanev would be a terrible thing..

I mean, can you get much worse trading Tanev? I would welcome it because we desperately need a rebuild.

Stecher - Gudbranson as a top 2 on the right side is really not bad at all, ESPECIALLY while we're rebuilding.

I hear ya. If we had people to make to proper trade, I hear ya!

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Well, the Oilers did their level best to wear the Canucks down physically through out-hitting and out-skating the Canucks. We may see a fatigued Canucks tomorrow.
There was a lot of effort, but... the finish was lacking.
It would be nice to see sustained pressure in the opponent's zone, but other then the Sedins, there really aren't any players who know how to play the cycle. It's a whole lot of one and dones. Back and forth hockey, which seems exciting at first glance, but generally makes for poor offense, unless you have a game-breaking player like McDavid.

It's true. The kids also need some training on how to grind it out on the boards. Even Bo isn't that superb at it, and he really should be with his strength. Where's Torts when you need him? Just kidding. But seriously someone needs to drill some Hansen into them.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
As usual, agree with everything said by orcatown.

The main difference between when the canucks were winning a lot of games 5 years ago and now is the twins. You put the prime Sedins in tonight's game and we would have won this game.

Its probably as good as you can play as a team without having anyone who can really score.

I like Horvat but he's not going to replace Henrik Sedin offensively.

Our hope is to draft or trade for a #1C and see if we can form a duo with that player/Boeser.

The defense looks promising for the future.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
That feel when Calgary and Edmonton have twice as many goals this season.

pFpxRID.gif

27th in the league and the teams below us (1 less goal) have 2 fewer games played.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
No.

That we should abandon the idea of having a team that plays responsible 2-way hockey, gives a good effort, tries to win close games by sticking to their structure. That we should play "run 'n gun hockey" and lose with lots of goal-scoring and entertainment instead.

I haven't the faintest idea what makes that appealing after watching the Oilers do just that for the past decade. Nor how that would be even remotely feasible at this point in the rebuild. :dunno:

It's like some people are upset that the Canucks are trying to make the most of their current situation by playing hard, and putting together a structured defensive game.

I never made any comment regarding style of play. The team sucks so regardless of playstulr, we will still lose.

I mean the only rea difference between rebuild or not at this point is whether we try to get more picks back through trades or lose picks by trading for bandaid solutions.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Great until lucic made him look like a child

I'm not a stetcher fan boy like many on here but this comment isn't really correct. Lucic had a step on him , maybe even just half a step. He leaned on him. That's a good hockey play often used. Same result if he did that to any other defensmen on our team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hutton - the little mistakes he makes in reads and coverage are hurting the team. I would say, again, that this player did not have the time at a lower level to learn how to consistently process the game. Makes moves in the mid ice that are just a tad too slow or too dangerous and that allow for odd man rushes. Saw it on the McDavid goal and a few other times tonight and in other games. However, only experience is going to help this situation and the team is going to have to live with these glitches to get the long term benefits out of Hutton. One problem here is that defense and goaltending have to be almost air tight to cover up for the lack of offense.

Agree with pretty much everything said there...but this one in particular, i think is kind of a microcosm of where this team is at right now, in a single player evaluation.

It's a razor edge they walk...trying to win tightly structured 1-goal games, while integrating this many young players who like Hutton, really are still learning on the job. When you're playing with such a thin margin for error...that one rookie misread can sink your night.

But it is what it is, and for me, seeing the team and especially the young players giving it this kind of effort and doing that important learning in an environment with consequences...i enjoy seeing that, and i think it bodes well for the future of these players.

Seems like team don't mind icing the puck against us. They seem convinced the Canucks can't do much with ozone face-offs.

This seems particularly true as well. The days where teams were deathly afraid of conceding offensive zone faceoffs against the Sedins where they might well be hemmed in until a penalty is committed or a goal ends up in the net are long long gone. They can still pull some amazing shifts out of the bag, but the intimidation factor is gone.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I never made any comment regarding style of play. The team sucks so regardless of playstulr, we will still lose.

I mean the only rea difference between rebuild or not at this point is whether we try to get more picks back through trades or lose picks by trading for bandaid solutions.

And my initial comment wasn't responding to anything you said at all. :dunno:

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
That sounds like a 'Willie comment'.

Should we put that in a different thread, or address the issues at hand?

I get what your saying bud, but we should probably try to look forward; and try new things.

Constantly looking back, and seeing what worked in the past, while not paying attention to what has changed, leads to where we are now.

I guess I just feel we need to have someone leading us, that looks at future potential; not past production.

I don't necessarily agree with you, but I hear what you're saying. The question I think we're coming to is (and it's still too early to say for sure), is the Sedins-as-first-liners thing finally over? And if it is, is there anyone else on the team at present who could perform better than them offensively if given the opportunities they regularly enjoy (top PP time, etc.)?

Put another way, if Hansen is something of a line-fixer, your best line-boosting player, is it worth using him to boost the Sedins, or is it better to use him to boost another line and just stop prioritizing the Sedins, even from a win-now perspective? Is this still their team?

I personally think that, despite the bad start, the Sedins are still the team's best offensive forwards. I also think that's really sad.

Should be a fun year!

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
No.

The internet is killing sport, making it completely pedestrian. Just message me when we win the Cup so I can be happy for 5 minutes and move on to #winning something else.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
McDavid reminds of Bure the way he streaks past everyone. He's just very fun player to watch. Watching Bure as a kid in Ontario is what got me into the Canucks in the first place and I'm sure McDavid will have a similar affect for the Oilers countrywide.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I don't necessarily agree with you, but I hear what you're saying. The question I think we're coming to is (and it's still too early to say for sure), is the Sedins-as-first-liners thing finally over? And if it is, is there anyone else on the team at present who could perform better than them offensively if given the opportunities they regularly enjoy (top PP time, etc.)?

Put another way, if Hansen is something of a line-fixer, your best line-boosting player, is it worth using him to boost the Sedins, or is it better to use him to boost another line and just stop prioritizing the Sedins, even from a win-now perspective? Is this still their team?

I personally think that, despite the bad start, the Sedins are still the team's best offensive forwards. I also think that's really sad.

Should be a fun year!

Great thoughts and well said, but I was speaking towards putting the Twins on different lines.

Crazy, I know. But since they are virtually the same player now, it might balance out our top 6.

I still love the Twins though! Just thinking what's best for the team.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad