GDT: GAME #8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You don't think a player like Nylander over Virtanen would help that? Forsling over Clendenning? Kassian over Prust? Time and time again these guys have made important decisions wrong. Decisions that, if made correctly, could really have put us in a much better position. These are just a few examples.

No. I don't think the famous flamingo over Virtanen would really help fill the void this team has long term. Nylander is not a contender calibre #1C. Might it help a little bit in the short term? Sure...he'd probably pot a few more points than Virtanen is now, and that would appease some who need instant gratification to make hockey worth watching. But in the long-term, where it really matters...the verdict is still out on who the better player is.

Personally, i'd be a little disappointed to have this dude as the "face of my franchise"...

He's hardly earned the Sedins right to pull that crap. And frankly, i just don't think he's anywhere near as good as Henrik Sedin, nor do i think he's really going to be any sort of long-term Cup Contending #1C calibre replacement for a guy like Hank.

Get back to me when some team wins a Cup with Willie Nylander as one of their very best players i guess. Figure he looks as rosy right now playing with Horvat instead of Auston Matthews?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
No. I don't think the famous flamingo over Virtanen would really help fill the void this team has long term. Nylander is not a contender calibre #1C. Might it help a little bit in the short term? Sure...he'd probably pot a few more points than Virtanen is now, and that would appease some who need instant gratification to make hockey worth watching. But in the long-term, where it really matters...the verdict is still out on who the better player is.

Personally, i'd be a little disappointed to have this dude as the "face of my franchise"...

He's hardly earned the Sedins right to pull that crap. And frankly, i just don't think he's anywhere near as good as Henrik Sedin, nor do i think he's really going to be any sort of long-term Cup Contending #1C calibre replacement for a guy like Hank.

Get back to me when some team wins a Cup with Willie Nylander as one of their very best players i guess. Figure he looks as rosy right now playing with Horvat instead of Auston Matthews?

Okay I understand that this forum is kinda Nylander-crazy right now, but these are some sour sour grapes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's pissed away chances to add quality prospects using his assets to chase veteran 3Cs and 4Ds, fubaring deadlines, mismanaging players, refusing to see the obvious etc. Chase a mid 1st, not when he could get bonino, oops, flips bonino for a 1st+, nope Sutter. 2015 was a great draft and didn't even get a 2nd 1st rounder let alone get a lottery ticket for McDavid, somehow they only got one pick in the first round two rounds. 2016, 2 picks before 140.

We keep getting told we are 5-8 years away. Sutter and gudbranson won't even be under contract and will need to be re-signed, assuming they can. By then Sutter's going to be early to mid-30, what foundation is that for? An old age home? Gudbranson will be the approaching to same age as too old guys like garrison, Bieksa and Hamhuis. The reason for wanting these guys is to compete now and delay the rebuild until later. You don't building around 3Cs and #4Ds, you add then to rebuilt teams or contenders.

Now we have people talking about trading Tanev because he is too old for the rebuild. A 24yo is going to be too old by the time the rebuild is completed? That's a baldly botched job.

Does any of this even remotely address what people are really upset about? Our lack of a future superstar core to replace the Sedins? Where are these star 1st liners coming from...instead of what we have now? How on earth do you reconcile a bundle of mediocre to poor assets "pissed away" with the "superstar scoring forwards" that we're really missing, and that people are deeply disappointed we don't have yet?

The anger is over the fact that the Canucks actually made the playoffs in that McDavid year instead of chasing lottery tickets? I mean yeah, he's a phenomenal generational player who is going to haunt us for a decade. But the expectation is that we should have won that lottery? Despite being a divisional seed playoff team that year? Anything less than being a massively worse team on purpose to out-tank the Oilers that year and being incredibly lucky and winning a literal game of chance is "bad management"? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
well ftr i was pushing for nick ritchie, even after everyone else had moved on to the virtanen and ehlers (and to a lesser degree nylander) bandwagons.

but re: nylander, i see him longterm as a playmaking winger, in the kane, gaudreau mould, not a derek roy-type bad-team-point-producing center. not as good as kane, mind you, but that kind of player and a valuable potential contributor to good teams.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
In 2 years will have three guys who can score

Horvat
Boeser
Gaudette

This team needs to implode FAST

Fire Linden!
Fire Benning!
Fire WD!

NOW

Fire WD? You risk putting the implosion on ice - dare say keep him on the bench as long as possible, into the New Year if you really want to hit rock bottom. The worst thing this club did was let Torts walk away rich when he was well into 'tank-mode' after one season...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I made it through two periods last night. Wasn't going to put forth any more effort given I had an early morning coming. What a horrible team, made worse by the system...even though I understand they have no choice but to play a trap if they want to win. They can't score and when the goaltending stops having a 0.930 sv% look out.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Phil Kessel?

What a strangely rambling post considering your usually much more 'reasoned' in your arguments.

Can Nylander replace Henrik? Maybe, maybe not. Does he need to? Is there no point in adding good players if they aren't "Sedin replacements"??? That is a false dichotomy. Henrik will go whether or not we have Nylander. Wouldn't it be better to add a player who can at least replace *some* of Henrik's lost offence than not? Is Jake going to replace it better than Nylander? I've been a Virtanen supporter since the draft but even I can see that is extremely unlikely.

And what is the point of crapping on the kid because of one stupid play? Does that negate everything else he does well? Do his goals and passes leading to goals not help his team win more than failing to block that one shot? It's bizarre that you would reduce a player's entire value to a single play. It's no different than people who crapped all over Jake for his blindside hit last year. Players do good and they do bad. What counts is how much of each they do.

Honestly this post makes the least sense I've seen in a long time from you. You're a better poster than this.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Yep, it's going to be a long season. No way this is a playoff team, no matter what Linden and Benning try to sell us.

But, a couple of top 5 picks over the next couple of seasons combined with the continued development of our young core (Horvat, Hutton, Juolevi, Stecher, Gudbranson, Virtanen and Boeser) and and we should be good again. We've been worse off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->