Goal-Day Thread Game 8: Coyotes @ Blue Jackets - 4 PM - It's a long way down the holiday road

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Fun one to watch! Always glad to have a chance to throw my hat!

Awesome to see the Yotes rewarded for driving the net/getting around the crease.

Every goal tonight was scored by a Coyote (even Keller haha)

Kudos to Kuemper for getting it done.

First line looked a bit rough but I can see how it might work! Like seeing Gally on the PP.. having someone who teams have to watch out for like that opens other options.. and if they don't he can just label cannon shots on net all game.

Second line was great. All 3 guys showed up ready to rock and I'm thankful for that. Good setups by stepan and good finishes by Fisch... Perlini looked good too with his game.

Can't wait till Thursday haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZviaNJ

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Got half of those roadtrip points like I was hoping for!

Need to keep the momentum going against Vancouver on Thursday and hope to catch a sleeping TBL on Saturday. Hino is looking like a Domi replacement minus the grit. Some of the lines are starting to click and the vets are finally turning around. OEL deserves a goal or two at this point, Grabner too. Goligoski looked dangerous and made smart plays too.

Interesting how bad Keumper looked last season and during the games he played over the summer. He has looked more like the borderline starter in L.A and Minnesota this season. Wonder if it was just a system adjustment or any nagging injuries.

Got outplayed at times tonight but also capitalized on breakdowns this game. Start of the season is feeling further behind the team and is feeling more like bad luck than a bad team.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I thought the Stephan , Perlini , Fischer line really carried the play. And were terrific.

Kemper was awesome.

I thought the other lines took a step back , and I Know I am in the minority but I could count on my one hand the number of board battles we won especially in our own zone. I just didnt see the effort in the other lines like we usually do ... Maybe because its the last game of the road trip etc

I know alot of you thought Gologoski had a great game which he did , but man there were times offensively , where I thought this is where plays go to die.

What was funny was the one time I thought he made a great play finally , it turned out to be OEL , and the announcer got the name wrong .. It was when Oel got dumped in the end boards as he was streaking towards the net and drew the penalty late in the game.

In any case we won and that is the bottom line , couldnt be happier.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
..... And to think not to long ago most everyone wanted to banish Kuemper to the planet Pluto (which isn't considered a planet anymore so it's appropriate) :laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Huh, wonder what requires surgery yet had that kind of quick recovery time

Herinia?

Most likely. If it is a fairly "standard" procedure, I think the recovery time is between 4-6 weeks, and wasn't he shut down right around September 17th? Probably one of those things where the recovery period went well and we wanted to make sure he was in a good position not to reinjure himself before retaking the ice.

Let's just close out the month with 3 solid games. If we are at .500 points-wise, we are in good shape. I know the question on our board is whether or not we can be a playoff team, and my question back is, if we consistently put together games like this, how could we not be considered in the running? Even in the losses, it was a lack of goals and not necessarily the lack of good opportunities.

Honestly wish I would have put down some money on the Yotes to win division or win conference when I was in Vegas, b/c I could see it happening so long as our offense continues to carry over.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
I know its early but only 4 pts out of the third spot in the pacific with a game in hand on the Flames. They're playing well, and hopefully weathered the early sh!t storm.

Reactions: Mosby

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Most likely. If it is a fairly "standard" procedure, I think the recovery time is between 4-6 weeks, and wasn't he shut down right around September 17th? Probably one of those things where the recovery period went well and we wanted to make sure he was in a good position not to reinjure himself before retaking the ice.

Let's just close out the month with 3 solid games. If we are at .500 points-wise, we are in good shape. I know the question on our board is whether or not we can be a playoff team, and my question back is, if we consistently put together games like this, how could we not be considered in the running? Even in the losses, it was a lack of goals and not necessarily the lack of good opportunities.

Honestly wish I would have put down some money on the Yotes to win division or win conference when I was in Vegas, b/c I could see it happening so long as our offense continues to carry over.

Recovery time from a Knee arthroscopy is about 4-6 weeks as well which could be what he had done, with his past knee problems.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Perlini can drive the net consistently it opens up a lot of room for his linemates.

Still not stoked about Crouse on a top 2 line. Strome needs a more talented RW but not sure there is one to be had.

Kuemper looked big and calm in the net.
What ever RT and Perlini talked about it worked. Perlini's best game of the year, by a wide margin.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Recovery time from a Knee arthroscopy is about 4-6 weeks as well which could be what he had done, with his past knee problems.

Rotoworld originally had it as a groin injury before adjusting to the generic "lower-body"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Got half of those roadtrip points like I was hoping for!

Need to keep the momentum going against Vancouver on Thursday and hope to catch a sleeping TBL on Saturday. Hino is looking like a Domi replacement minus the grit. Some of the lines are starting to click and the vets are finally turning around. OEL deserves a goal or two at this point, Grabner too. Goligoski looked dangerous and made smart plays too.

Interesting how bad Keumper looked last season and during the games he played over the summer. He has looked more like the borderline starter in L.A and Minnesota this season. Wonder if it was just a system adjustment or any nagging injuries.

Got outplayed at times tonight but also capitalized on breakdowns this game. Start of the season is feeling further behind the team and is feeling more like bad luck than a bad team.

Good post. We struggled with the hard fore check Columbus threw at us. I expect other teams will start to do the same.

I thought the Stephan , Perlini , Fischer line really carried the play. And were terrific.

Kemper was awesome.

I thought the other lines took a step back , and I Know I am in the minority but I could count on my one hand the number of board battles we won especially in our own zone. I just didnt see the effort in the other lines like we usually do ... Maybe because its the last game of the road trip etc

I know alot of you thought Gologoski had a great game which he did , but man there were times offensively , where I thought this is where plays go to die.

What was funny was the one time I thought he made a great play finally , it turned out to be OEL , and the announcer got the name wrong .. It was when Oel got dumped in the end boards as he was streaking towards the net and drew the penalty late in the game.

In any case we won and that is the bottom line , couldnt be happier.

Kuemper's best game in a Coyote uniform. Best game for a number of players. The first line struggled, but that was kind of expected.

I'd like to see Kuemper start Thursday night. He deserves the start after the win.

Why not. I was really happy when we traded for Kuemper, then he went on to play like crap. I was really worried about Kuemper heading into this year. Hopefully, he continues his fine play.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
That was a nice slash by Strome leading to his power play goal, knocking the defender's stick out of his hand to free up Hinostroza's passing lane. I actually don't mind him playing with Cousins, who draws a lot of attention, he's at his best when he's inconspicuous. Could be a nice 50 point bust for the Coyotes.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
That was a nice slash by Strome leading to his power play goal, knocking the defender's stick out of his hand to free up Hinostroza's passing lane. I actually don't mind him playing with Cousins, who draws a lot of attention, he's at his best when he's inconspicuous. Could be a nice 50 point bust for the Coyotes.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Gally doesnt work out at center. I would hope Strome moves to the top line. I'd be worried that Stepan moves up, Richardson becomes our 2C and Strome and Cousin the bottom two centers...

Strome did have a nice game. Not as good as his games before the roadtrip but better than his last three. I liked how much he shot last night.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Strome is not physically ready for 1st line minutes. He needs to get stronger. I’m hoping that Strome will stay on the 3rd line this year and play well enough to eventually force other teams to game plan him as a 2 nd or 1st line center.

Reactions: Fyreman

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Strome is not physically ready for 1st line minutes. He needs to get stronger. I’m hoping that Strome will stay on the 3rd line this year and play well enough to eventually force other teams to game plan him as a 2 nd or 1st line center.

Yes. I've come to this realization as well. The kid still gets pushed around a lot and if teams play their top centers and defenseman against him, he will struggle. He needs to hit the gym a lot and get stronger.

He's close. Not quite there yet, but close. Love him as a PP option as well.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
..... And to think not to long ago most everyone wanted to banish Kuemper to the planet Pluto (which isn't considered a planet anymore so it's appropriate) :laugh:

It's always a planet in my heart! <3 haha... I am glad he's having a strong couple of games to start. Couple of flukey goals against but he has saved some hard ones and gives the team a chance.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree he is not ready. I think he isn't good on D because he has never had to be good on D. I don't think it has to do with strength, its his positioning. If he was as intuitive on D as he is with the puck or on offence in the O zone, he would be our 1C. We shall see if he improves.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I fear the historical Coyote pattern of solid road win only to return home and play an absolute stinker against a team we should beat (note: Van plays in Vegas tonight at AZ tomorrow...will be without Pettersson and possibly Boeser).

It's already happened once this year.

Trying to jinx it from happening again.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad