GDT: Game 8: Carolina @ Toronto - The Laughing Dead

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
My opinion on Jordan is that some expect more from him offensively than what he's capable of. he has always been cast as an excellent checking player and sure, every once in a while he makes a nice play. he and JR wanted to make him into an offensive force and he was advertised as such coming in. to me that just doesn't mesh with his talents and I think that confusion in his game has been obvious as people wonder "what's wrong with Jordan Staal?" as he has been trying to play both roles. I don't care what they decided to pay him and if he would just concentrate on being what he has traditionally excelled at, it would be better for him and best for the team.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Jordan's scored 20+ goals 4 times. And was on about a 55 point pace last year.

The opinions on Jordan's offense have skewed way to far to the opposite end of the spectrum. He's an effective offensive player, he just hasn't gotten into the groove yet. 20 goal players playing in a defensive role don't grow on trees.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh

The opinions on Jordan's offense have skewed way to far to the opposite end of the spectrum. He's an effective offensive player, he just hasn't gotten into the groove yet. 20 goal players playing in a defensive role don't grow on trees.

Agreed. Too soon to judge.

He's got that Staal slow-start gene and we've just barely settled on new wingers for him. Plus he's only just turned 25 and has more in him as a player than what we've seen to date.

My first and only name jersey after a decade of STH status was a Sutter one and even I understood the trade. The Brind'Amour-like defensively responsible two-way offense will come.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country

perhaps the pendulum has swung a bit too far and if anything, people probably under value players that are defensive. there is no denying that he doesn't have a good knack around the net. I'm not critisizing Jordan but he got those goals as coincidentals primarily while concentrating on the defensive aspect of the game IMO, and you're right, players like that are valuable to a team. every player has their unique aspects. he's just not a player that I expect alot of offense from. if he produces some, all the better.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
What do you consider a lot of offense?

31 points last year put him at 72nd amongst forwards.

Guys within a point or two: Seguin, Krejci, Marleau, Callahan, Yakupov, Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Dustin Brown, Loui Eriksson, Iginla, Plecanek, Jeff Carter...

What people consider 'good offensively' is way off base.

His slow start is undeniable, but his entire history in the league has been one of a productive offensive player.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I'm reserving judgement on Jordan for the long term, but it did feel like to me that he got a lot of cheapies in terms of assists last season. That may be my imagination. He was certainly a hell of a lot more assertive offensively last year than he has been in the early going this season. I expected a bit more goal scoring prowess than 10 in 56 but that may have been hopeful thinking considering he had 25 in 62 with the Penguins the year prior.

He's shooting 7.6% as a Hurricane, and that number is bound to normalize, but the lack of offense is concerning. If you're a second line center, defense can only exercise so many sins and absolve a lack of tangible production for so long on a team that pays you to score and defend.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm reserving judgement on Jordan for the long term, but it did feel like to me that he got a lot of cheapies in terms of assists last season. That may be my imagination. He was certainly a hell of a lot more assertive offensively last year than he has been in the early going this season. I expected a bit more goal scoring prowess than 10 in 56 but that may have been hopeful thinking considering he had 25 in 62 with the Penguins the year prior.

He's shooting 7.6% as a Hurricane, and that number is bound to normalize, but the lack of offense is concerning. If you're a second line center, defense can only exercise so many sins and absolve a lack of tangible production for so long on a team that pays you to score and defend.

Welp, there's one.

--hank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad