GDT: Game 8: Carolina @ Toronto - The Laughing Dead

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
got a bounce and some luck for a change. Ward played well. I'm happy for Hainsey.

any time you beat the leafs it's good, no matter how.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I must admit, I was too down on Cam tonight after yet another short-side, glove-high goal against. It's getting frustrating that he can't get his glove into position on those shots. But he was very good and kept us in until we could get lucky.

And I can't believe that *nobody* has yet given credit to Radek Dvorak for winning the race to the dots to prevent icing on the winning goal. He's a full two strides behind Morgan Reilly at the blue line, yet kicks it into high gear and clearly wins the race.

And I'm still impressed with Murphy. His skills are so similar to Paul Coffey, it's scary. Obviously, he's a long way from having that type of career, but the skills are there and starting to translate.

I agree with every bit of this and am glad you're feeling sunnier!

--hank

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I know of at least one pre-game post on the Leaves board that deserves a "tee-hee." Something about the Canes being a very very bad team with maybe the worst defense in the NHL and how it was going to be a runaway victory. :laugh:

Stray thoughts as I warm my feet by the DVR: Dvorak is awesome, Ruutu belongs nowhere near the first line, holy crap a non-shootout game, why did Westgarth even dress, and for a team with a good record, Toronto was a hot mess tonight.

Beats me. I forgot he played, what with his 4 shifts for a total of 1:57.

bluedevil58*

Jordan is snake bit. It is only a matter of time. Many here have to realize he is an elite defensive center and has never been a scorer. R I think is just rusty but man he looked bad last night. He didn't even finish his checks last night which is concerned.

Ruutu-Jordan-Gerbe is the line I would roll with...

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
who wants to point out that ruutu was worthless all night?

i'll do it

ruutu was worthless all night

Perusing the thread for the first time since watching the game, and I'm SHOCKED that this is the first mention of this.

He was horrible. Credit to Muller for (finally) taking him off of the top line.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

i'll do it

He played just 2:18 in the second half of the game. Combine that with Westgarth's 1:57 total, and they were playing with 10 forwards for most of the 2nd and 3rd period. That's a good way to tire your team out over the course of the season.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I should probably point out Bellascore played well tonight since I pissed all over him in the Blackhawks GDT.

And I think an up-and-down season is what we should expect out of a rookie defenseman. I'm not sure that it's reasonable to make cut/keep decisions after every single game a rookie defenseman plays.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

i'll do it

Guy still needs to be eased back into the lineup IMO. Putting him right in with the top line was a dumb idea, play him on the 4th for a bit with PP time to let him get his legs under him. Pretty bad when Drayson Bowman is an exceptionally better offensive threat in a game then Tuomo Ruutu.

That's the one trade I'd still really like to have back. I mean, a Ladd-Staal-Semin line? :amazed:

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As a newbie here, I think I learned my lesson with these GDTs: Don't read any posts before 9:30PM.

Kudos to Bellemore, after me screaming to bench him last game, he played really well. Harrison had a decent bounceback game too.
I thought Faulk had a shaky first couple of games (shaky for him) and has looked like an absolute stud the last few (particularly this one).
Ruutu is clearly not ready for anything more than 3rd (or in our case, 2nd) line checking duty, he looks lost out there.
Why they dressed Westgarth is beyond me. If you just need a warm body, throw Sutter back out there, at least he hits people. I think he's 2nd on the team in hits (14 in 16 shifts).
I think the biggest issue with Semin, along with the impact it has on the 1st line, is missing nearly all of the preseason. Muller kept saying he's the type of guy that doesn't need practice and can just hop right in, I'd say his play proves otherwise. There's been a few times that we're lucky other teams don't take advantage of his lazy play in our own end. He's just floating out there, not moving his feet.
And I think LaRose is the only guy on this planet that could have missed an open net worse than Bowman did.

I thought we got slightly outplayed in the first, controlled the 2nd but couldn't put anything away, and dominated the 3rd. Seems to be our new MO

Last edited:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
As a newbie here, I think I learned my lesson with these GDTs: Don't read any posts before 9:30PM.

Kudos to Bellemore, after me screaming to bench him last game, he played really well. Harrison had a decent bounceback game too.
I thought Faulk had a shaky first couple of games (shaky for him) and has looked like an absolute stud the last few (particularly this one).
Ruutu is clearly not ready for anything more than 3rd (or in our case, 2nd) line checking duty, he looks lost out there.
Why they dressed Westgarth is beyond me. If you just need a warm body, throw Sutter back out there, at least he hits people. I think he's 2nd on the team in hits (14 in 16 shifts).
I think the biggest issue with Semin, along with the impact it has on the 1st line, is missing nearly all of the preseason. Muller kept saying he's the type of guy that doesn't need practice and can just hop right in, I'd say his play proves otherwise. There's been a few times that we're lucky other teams don't take advantage of his lazy play in our own end. He's just floating out there, not moving his feet.
And I think LaRose is the only guy on this planet that could have missed the net worse than Bowman did.

I thought we got slightly outplayed in the first, controlled the 2nd but couldn't put anything away, and dominated the 3rd. Seems to be our new MO

Faulk was an absolute stud in the first two games.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I learned my lesson with these GDTs: Don't read any posts before 9:30PM.

You're a quick study. That's my method...click on the Last Page link, go backward until I get to the time of day when the game ended. I started doing this about 4 years ago when I thought it was bad, and someone mentioned it has gotten worse in the past 2 years...I can't even imagine how bad it is, then.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
You're a quick study. That's my method...click on the Last Page link, go backward until I get to the time of day when the game ended. I started doing this about 4 years ago when I thought it was bad, and someone mentioned it has gotten worse in the past 2 years...I can't even imagine how bad it is, then.

you should really try reading a recent one sometime for #research

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
This forum goes all the way back to like 2006, its sad to look and see names that no longer post here even though I'm a board pup.

Edit: 2003! wow..

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Faulk was an absolute stud in the first two games.

May not have been the DET game, but 2 of PHI/PIT/PHX he had some turnovers, missed assignments, and struggles with getting the puck out of our end that I haven't seen from him. Even with that, he was still our #1. Similar to Sekera last night: made a couple of costly mistakes, but played very solid outside of them.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
May not have been the DET game, but 2 of PHI/PIT/PHX he had some turnovers, missed assignments, and struggles with getting the puck out of our end that I haven't seen from him. Even with that, he was still our #1. Similar to Sekera last night: made a couple of costly mistakes, but played very solid outside of them.

He was a bit shaky after leaving the ice for that injury he had in one of the games after the PHI game. He was also kind of rough in the two games after that one.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Sekera has been a great addition. If we had a healthy Joni with Haneisy, Murphy, Faulk and Bellemore/Gleason/Harrison I'd be pretty happy with our D.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I do think our D has issues with the breakout. Too many times with the puck behind the net, they're firing it up to a covered winger just short of the offensive blueline and it's a quick turnover.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Pretty bad when Drayson Bowman is an exceptionally better offensive threat in a game then Tuomo Ruutu.

Can you be an offensive threat when you miss uncontested empty nets from 5 feet away by about 5 feet?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad