GDT: Game 74: Kings @ Avalanche | March 22, 2018 | 7PM MT

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Man I might be the only one but I've always liked McNab, I don't get the hate. :(

I'm not calling you out specifically Balthazar but it always seems to be when we're losing people hate on McNab. I don't recall too many times people calling him out when we're winning.

I can partially see why people hate on him when we're losing but I will be sad the day he no longer works with the Avs.
He's solid and doesn't annoy me at all so I agree with you

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The Avs weren’t going to keep getting points in every game till the end of the season. They were due for a loss eventually, and whether it is 7-1 or 1-0 it is the same in the standings.

When the Avs lost to Vegas 7-0, they came out and scored 16 goals in their next 3 games. Winning 3 in a row.

The Avs are 1 point behind Los Angeles with a game in hand.

2 points behind Minnesota, with an extra game played.

They just have to win 4/8 and they are more than likely in a playoff spot.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Nordiques4life

Jan 22, 2010
montreal
Yup, and in those two games he's been useless with next to no positives. There's 8 games left in the season and every point matters. He's had 2 games to show what he could do, whether it's due to rust, injuries, or whatnot he needs to show more if he wants ice time. This isn't the time of year to hope a player is going to find his groove, you go with the proven players that can at least keep up with the pace.
TRUE

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It might be time to sit both Compher and Kerfoot. Play Vegas with:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Andrighetto - Jost- Wilson
Bourque - Toninato - Yakupov

I hate Yakupov as much as the next guy, but he's going to come in here and at least bust his ***. Compher and Kerfoot have clearly hit a wall and are struggling mightily out there. Compher especially. Dude has had like one good game in the last four months.

I don’t believe that any lineup changes are necessary amongst the top4/top6. It was one bad game, after a few weeks of generally solid play.

Yes, both Kerfoot and Compher haven’t looked great at times, but at this point in the season, I’d rather play the guys I trust defensively over some upside offensively, and that ain’t Yakupov.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The rookies are tired, nothin' you can do about that. Kamenev lost an entire year of development, he's likely gonna be in the press box barring further illness/injury.

I don't think any serious lineup changes are necessary. In fact, they're not really possible. The team just needs to play better next game. Hopefully illness did not play a factor and they'll bounce back strong.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is just one game... a terrible game, but just one. I still think 94 is the key number and they can find a way to get there. It won't be easy, but they should be able to hit it.

Reactions: ArWKo

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah losing this game doesn't concern me a whole lot when considering making the playoffs. My issue is that I'm spoiling myself and am worrying about playing Vegas in the playoffs instead of just worrying about making the playoffs in general.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I’d rather see Yakupov in the line up than a few guys right now.

Colorado’s bottom two lines suck, and they have for a while.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Of our remaining 8 games, only 2 are against non-playoff teams and one of those two games is against St. Louis.

Of the Blues' remaining 9 games, 4 are against non-playoff teams: Vancouver, Arizona, and two against Chicago.

Colour me officially worried.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Of our remaining 8 games, only 2 are against non-playoff teams and one of those two games is against St. Louis.

Of the Blues' remaining 9 games, 4 are against non-playoff teams: Vancouver, Arizona, and two against Chicago.

Colour me officially worried.

I think it will be close between St Louis and the Avs, but the winner of the Blues/Avs likely gets in. Play decent hockey until then, and win that game and they should be fine.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I’d rather see Yakupov in the line up than a few guys right now.

Colorado’s bottom two lines suck, and they have for a while.

I agree. Assuming Soderberg stays out I'd ice something like that:

Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen
Wilson, Compher, Andrighetto
Nieto, Toninato, Comeau
Jost, Kamenev, Yakupov

In any way, Bourque and Kerfoot need to stay out of the lineup. Kerfoot because he's in need of a break and Bourque because he doesn't have NHL quality.

Reactions: shadow1

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It is just one game... a terrible game, but just one. I still think 94 is the key number and they can find a way to get there. It won't be easy, but they should be able to hit it.

I am curious as to why you think that 94 points is the key number. You are not the only one saying this, but it seems low to me, at least based on how the grouping of Colorado, St. Louis, Anaheim, and LA are playing. Purely based on gut with no analysis, it feels like 96 or 97 points will likely be the magic number.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I am curious as to why you think that 94 points is the key number. You are not the only one saying this, but it seems low to me, at least based on how the grouping of Colorado, St. Louis, Anaheim, and LA are playing. Purely based on gut with no analysis, it feels like 96 or 97 points will likely be the magic number.

It has been explained by a few on here, but the Avs own the first tiebreaker in ROW over the teams chasing them. Meaning those teams will need to be one point more than the Avs. So if everybody is tied at 94, the Avs will likely get in. Of that grouping you listed, 3 of the 4 are getting in and 1 won't matter to the Avs at all. So really we are talking about St. Louis vs the Avs. St Louis has 3 games on the second night of back to backs against Columbus, Arizona, and the Avs. They likely lose 2 of those 3 games. St Louis matches up pretty poorly with San Jose, so I think that games is a loss. The game in Chicago before the Avs game is either not as important as the Avs game, or critically important. So either they are taking that game lighter and saving Allen... or they are in full must win mode leaving the Avs to face a team coming off a loss, or a tired team. Then you combine that with playing in Vegas for a game and playing the Caps... you should have another loss there. The best I can see St Louis coming into face the Avs is with 95 points, and I think that is pretty unlikely. 91-92 seems pretty realistic to me. In that case, as long as the Avs finish with 94 points they are in, regardless of that final game. Now if St Louis is at 93-94 coming in and the Avs come in at 92... they just have to take care of business before shootout if St Louis is at 93, or in regulation if they are at 94.

Basically, basically win in regulation against St Louis and get to 94. That is the key.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I was worried after last night about missing the playoffs, very nice to come on here and see the nice calming presences of Henchy and Cousin Eddie to make me feel better with their quality posting ;) , thanks dudes.

I also wish Nates opening second period shot was one inch lower.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It has been explained by a few on here, but the Avs own the first tiebreaker in ROW over the teams chasing them. Meaning those teams will need to be one point more than the Avs. So if everybody is tied at 94, the Avs will likely get in. Of that grouping you listed, 3 of the 4 are getting in and 1 won't matter to the Avs at all. So really we are talking about St. Louis vs the Avs. St Louis has 3 games on the second night of back to backs against Columbus, Arizona, and the Avs. They likely lose 2 of those 3 games. St Louis matches up pretty poorly with San Jose, so I think that games is a loss. The game in Chicago before the Avs game is either not as important as the Avs game, or critically important. So either they are taking that game lighter and saving Allen... or they are in full must win mode leaving the Avs to face a team coming off a loss, or a tired team. Then you combine that with playing in Vegas for a game and playing the Caps... you should have another loss there. The best I can see St Louis coming into face the Avs is with 95 points, and I think that is pretty unlikely. 91-92 seems pretty realistic to me. In that case, as long as the Avs finish with 94 points they are in, regardless of that final game. Now if St Louis is at 93-94 coming in and the Avs come in at 92... they just have to take care of business before shootout if St Louis is at 93, or in regulation if they are at 94.

Basically, basically win in regulation against St Louis and get to 94. That is the key.

Thanks, I appreciate your detailed response.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I don't think there's any reason to read too much into this game, it was an absolute laugher but every team has them, it's just rough that this one came when it did.

It was always going to be a tough race to the finish and nothing has changed there, and this team has shown before they can bounce back from bad losses. The schedule is tough too but it isn't like they need to win out (yet).

Now if they drop both games to Vegas it's panic time, if they split it's back to the grind and if they somehow pull 4 points out of the home and home then they're in a great spot. Would've been nice to get this one but it's time to move on to the next one and make sure that even while there will surely be some more losses to come down the stretch that they don't put down an embarrassment of an effort like last night again.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Also someone may have posted this already but apparently the Avs are 1-15 now with the set of refs that were on for the game last night. Kozari and L'Ecuyer.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm interested in seeing if Minny falls. They are 2 points ahead, game in hand, but they get Nashville tomorrow, Boston the next night, and then Nashville two days after that. Nashville x2 and Boston in 4 nights is brutal. Would love to see them lose all 3, would put a ton of pressure on them.

Unfortunately they then get Dallas x2 and Edmonton, but their final 3 are then Anaheim, LA and San Jose

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm interested in seeing if Minny falls. They are 2 points ahead, game in hand, but they get Nashville tomorrow, Boston the next night, and then Nashville two days after that. Nashville x2 and Boston in 4 nights is brutal. Would love to see them lose all 3, would put a ton of pressure on them.

Unfortunately they then get Dallas x2 and Edmonton, but their final 3 are then Anaheim, LA and San Jose

Avs get that same final 3, but then have one game to go. All 3 on the road.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

That's interesting. I think they'll definitely lose a game to Nashville, and I definitely believe Edmonton will beat them since McDavid constantly makes the Wild his *****. It would be amazing if they went on a 5 game losing streak right now, although I don't expect it in the least.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I'd rather Minny stay right where they are and keep not losing because I want the Avs to win as much as possible and still avoid third in the division. First wildcard or bust for me.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd rather Minny stay right where they are and keep not losing because I want the Avs to win as much as possible and still avoid third in the division. First wildcard or bust for me.

I'd rather playoffs than no playoffs, though. After MacK's season it'd be depressing - for me as a fan and I certainly imagine for him and his linemates - to miss. They deserve a chance to play, even if it's against Winnipeg. So I'm all aboard the Minny fail train - and plus, what self respecting Avs fan doesn't want Minny to fail? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Jazzguitar

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd be pretty shocked if Minnesota fell out of the playoff race. They're built to be a playoff team IMO, just not a legit contender for the Cup. It would be an epic implosion that will most assuredly cost Boudreau and Fletcher their jobs. Also, Nashville's capable of serving up a steamer like they did last night against the Leafs. They're in for sure, and likely winning the division so I could see them dropping a couple down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad