GDT: Game 74: Kings @ Avalanche | March 22, 2018 | 7PM MT

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Only thing im gonna annoyed by is the coming Kopitar highlights of his amazing game making the Avs look like fools over the next week
But hey we've been getting Mack love for a while now so i guess its our equalizer

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Is there anybody else not really impressed by Jost, or is it just me?

Between him, Kerfoot and Compher i'm start to accept the idea of bringing Stastny back next year.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I'd rather playoffs than no playoffs, though. After MacK's season it'd be depressing - for me as a fan and I certainly imagine for him and his linemates - to miss. They deserve a chance to play, even if it's against Winnipeg. So I'm all aboard the Minny fail train - and plus, what self respecting Avs fan doesn't want Minny to fail? :sarcasm:

Oh I agree, but I'm pretty confident the Avs are going to make it unless they really fall on their faces or something else terrible happens. Knock wood and all that. I want to see them in the playoffs as long as possible so I'd much rather them try their hand in the Pacific division instead of likely being one and done against Winnipeg or Nashville.

Also, I don't want Minny to win, I just want them to not lose. There's a difference! :sarcasm:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Is there anybody else not really impressed by Jost, or is it just me?

Between him, Kerfoot and Compher i'm start to accept the idea of bringing Stastny back next year.
I think there's been a clear difference between Jost and the other two, but the production isn't there to back that up. That said, I don't expect Tyson Jost to be a 20 point forward next season.

However, I'm not opposed at all to improving the 2nd line. It needs to happen, and it's a risky bet to ask Jost/Compher/Kerfoot to become legitimate 2nd line producers consistently next season. If they fail, we're either asking the Soderberg line to do what they're doing this season once again, or we're stuck with MacKinnon's line doing everything nightly.

Reactions: Iceberg

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I think there's been a clear difference between Jost and the other two, but the production isn't there to back that up. That said, I don't expect Tyson Jost to be a 20 point forward next season.

However, I'm not opposed at all to improving the 2nd line. It needs to happen, and it's a risky bet to ask Jost/Compher/Kerfoot to become legitimate 2nd line producers consistently next season. If they fail, we're either asking the Soderberg line to do what they're doing this season once again, or we're stuck with MacKinnon's line doing everything nightly.

I agree that Jost has been better than the other two, but the other thing about Jost that I find encouraging, is that he is playing better hockey in March than he did in October. I can't say that for the other two guys.

But with all of them - not one of them has played a full season's worth of 82 games of NHL hockey yet. It's really pretty early to get down on them.

I think the team does need another legit goal scorer, and that person could be put on Soderberg's wing, and they could have the makings of a reasonable - if somewhat unexciting - 2nd line. If Jost is not the Avs future 2nd line center, who in the organization is?

Edit: Compher has played exactly 82 NHL games.

Reactions: Iceberg

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree that Jost has been better than the other two, but the other thing about Jost that I find encouraging, is that he is playing better hockey in March than he did in October. I can't say that for the other two guys.

But with all of them - not one of them has played a full season's worth of 82 games of NHL hockey yet. It's really pretty early to get down on them.

I think the team does need another legit goal scorer, and that person could be put on Soderberg's wing, and they could have the makings of a reasonable - if somewhat unexciting - 2nd line. If Jost is not the Avs future 2nd line center, who in the organization is?

Edit: Compher has played exactly 82 NHL games.
If the team doesn't bring Comeau back next season, I think they have to try Soderberg back in that 2C hole. Nieto can still remain in the bottom 6 but if Soderberg is playing 2C with legitimately skilled wingers, I think we see his production go back to 45-50 points. Especially if he gets PP time.

That would leave a large hole at the 3C position, though, given I believe this organization views Compher as a RW.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If the team doesn't bring Comeau back next season, I think they have to try Soderberg back in that 2C hole. Nieto can still remain in the bottom 6 but if Soderberg is playing 2C with legitimately skilled wingers, I think we see his production go back to 45-50 points. Especially if he gets PP time.

That would leave a large hole at the 3C position, though, given I believe this organization views Compher as a RW.

Are we sure of that? Or are they playing him at wing in his first pro season, so he can get aclimated, etc?

I agree with the Soderberg thing. He can still put up points, but he needs scorers to do it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Are we sure of that? Or are they playing him at wing in his first pro season, so he can get aclimated, etc?

I agree with the Soderberg thing. He can still put up points, but he needs scorers to do it.
I'd understand acclimation if this team wasn't filled with other young kids like Jost, Kerfoot, and Toninato - all of whom have seen more time at centre than Compher has this season.

He's easily the best of the bunch on draws, but he's used more often on the wings.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Over the past month, yes, he has been the better of the three, but i expected more offense from him.

Earlier in the season Kerfoot and Compher found ways to make plays, to get noticed even if it didn't result in points. I'm just not having that kind of impression with Jost.

Maybe i'm holding him to a higher standard, i don't know.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If I was Vegas, I'd lose the next 2 games to Avs on purpose so i would face them in the 1st round instead of the Blues, Ducks or the Kings. Lets face it, Avs are a one line team, and they'd probably be the least dangerous out of those other teams.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If I was Vegas, I'd lose the next 2 games to Avs on purpose so i would face them in the 1st round instead of the Blues, Ducks or the Kings. Lets face it, Avs are a one line team, and they'd probably be the least dangerous out of those other teams.
Let's hope Vegas thinks like you do. I'm gonna guess they don't.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Let's hope Vegas thinks like you do. I'm gonna guess they don't.
Yeah, they probably don't think that way, but it would be win win for everybody. Even though Avs most likely won't get passed the 1st round no matter who they play, they'll gain a valuable playoff experience and be an attractive destination for free agents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad