GDT: Game 73 - Avs @ Wild - On the Table - 6PM

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
It would be nice for Greer to play over Bourque, but let's be honest, it's highly likely a non-factor, and the top 6 needs to show up or we lose this game
It's not a non factor though, having a 4th line that brings energy and actually can do something positive on the ice goes a long way. Kind of like how other teams use their 4th line to disrupt the Avs game. Bourque used to be somewhat passible when he was forechecking hard and engaged in games. Literally all his objective is lately be on the ice for single digit minutes and try to not get scored on.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Here I am talking about Greer or Bourque while forgetting that we’re actually running 11 forwards and 7 D.

f***ing sit one of the D and this argument doesn’t exist.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We were winning, Sakic sent Greer down and people were angry that he changed the lineup.
We won last game, Sakic calls up Greer as an extra body for security while on the road and people are angry that he is not changing the lineup.

Tough crowd.

FTR I would prefer Greer is in the lineup but I understand why they go with the same one.
New JErsey sucks and who knows how that game turns out if Grubs didn't have to come up with some show stopping saves. Fact is Greer and Toni should have never been sent down when they were winning games for the likes of Dries and Bork.

Reactions: S3rkie

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bourque isn’t a bad PK’er. He’s worse than Soda/Calvert/JTC but he’s next in the line after those ones based on what we have.

Realize the Avs active PK is a little unorthodox and not easy to learn too. You say you thought Greer handled his PK minutes well which is really odd considering he hasn’t played a second on the PK this season. AJ Greer has yet to step on the oven during a penalty kill in his NHL career so you’re seeing something else there.

Bourque is a much better PK option than Greer. Not because of Greer’s ability but because it’s complex and he likely doesn’t have it down yet. Bourque may not be the best PK’er but he’s one of the few that knows the setup.

No, actually he's horrible. He may be the worst possible guy to have out there. Even MacKinnon would be a better option, though no one in their right mind would ever use him in that capacity.

He isn't able to read or anticipate anything out there. Even fan-faves like Sheldon Dries are quite good at getting sticks in lanes to break up passes. All Gork knows how to do is block shots. And even then I don't think he's particularly "skilled" at it. He's just willing to do it. It's no coincidence that a lot of times the Avs' PK fails, Gork is out on the ice. Their ability to win back and clear the puck is severely compromised whenever he's out there because he is by far the least capable of reading the play and has by far the least amount of puck skill on the team.

I don't think the Avs' PK is that complex. They approach the guy with the puck in a wide arc to try and limit passing/shooting opportunities, and the forwards up front switch off depending on where the puck is. I don't think it's all that complicated. Personally I think it's way too passive and focuses far too much on shot blocking instead of a more aggressive approach that could lead to more turnovers and at the very least, less time spend in the defensive zone.

I really think "good at the penalty kill" gets thrown out there too often. It usually just means the guy is on the PK a lot, not that he's particularly good at it.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Forget the 4th liners. We need Kerfoot/Compher/Jost/Soderberg to actually produce.
But isn't that one of the things wrong with this orginzation, forgetting the 4th line? When's the last time this team had a servicable 4th line center, Jay McClement? If they figure out the 4th line that doesn't have to be sheltered then the top line wouldn't be exhausted from playing way too much. The lineup needs balancing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
New JErsey sucks and who knows how that game turns out if Grubs didn't have to come up with some show stopping saves. Fact is Greer and Toni should have never been sent down when they were winning games for the likes of Dries and Bork.
The reality was that they both needed to be sent down to qualify to play during the playoffs for the Eagles. And then the Avs also have a very limited number of call ups after the TDL so they needed to be conservative with when to use them.

Listen, I understand that our playoffs are more important but they are just starting this relationship with the Eagles and not qualifying them would have sent a really really bad message to them.

Anyway I was more commenting on the irony of the situation.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Wild are going to lay a whupping on the Avs. Just like the Stars did. A team with leadership that wants to win.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
9lRe.gif

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's not a non factor though, having a 4th line that brings energy and actually can do something positive on the ice goes a long way. Kind of like how other teams use their 4th line to disrupt the Avs game. Bourque used to be somewhat passible when he was forechecking hard and engaged in games. Literally all his objective is lately be on the ice for single digit minutes and try to not get scored on.
I understand that. It's still likely a non factor. How many games has the 4th line been good this season? 3-5? Greer helps, but my point was that the top 6 need to show up, or its a moot point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No, actually he's horrible. He may be the worst possible guy to have out there. Even MacKinnon would be a better option, though no one in their right mind would ever use him in that capacity.

He isn't able to read or anticipate anything out there. Even fan-faves like Sheldon Dries are quite good at getting sticks in lanes to break up passes. All Gork knows how to do is block shots. And even then I don't think he's particularly "skilled" at it. He's just willing to do it. It's no coincidence that a lot of times the Avs' PK fails, Gork is out on the ice. Their ability to win back and clear the puck is severely compromised whenever he's out there because he is by far the least capable of reading the play and has by far the least amount of puck skill on the team.

I don't think the Avs' PK is that complex. They approach the guy with the puck in a wide arc to try and limit passing/shooting opportunities, and the forwards up front switch off depending on where the puck is. I don't think it's all that complicated. Personally I think it's way too passive and focuses far too much on shot blocking instead of a more aggressive approach that could lead to more turnovers and at the very least, less time spend in the defensive zone.

I really think "good at the penalty kill" gets thrown out there too often. It usually just means the guy is on the PK a lot, not that he's particularly good at it.
Prove it.

Over the last two combined seasons Dries is the only full time PK’ing forward that has done a better job at limiting shots on goal, high danger shot attempts or scoring chances than Gabriel Bourque.

You can scream about him sucking because you dislike him all you want but you’ll have to provide eveidence to back that he’s bad at PK’ing. Especially when there is evidence to prove how effective he has been on the PK since the beginning of last season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Prove it.

Over the last two combined seasons Dries is the only full time PK’ing forward that has done a better job at limiting shots on goal, high danger shot attempts or scoring chances than Gabriel Bourque.

You can scream about him sucking because you dislike him all you want but you’ll have to provide eveidence to back that he’s bad at PK’ing. Especially when there is evidence to prove how effective he has been on the PK since the beginning of last season.

I'm curious, where are you getting this info?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad