GDT: Game 72: Avs vs. Devils - Last Second Edition

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Christ, he blanked the Preds and Varly got the next 3 starts!! Right when we were fighting for a playoff spot! Lost all respect for Bednar right there. He needs to go.
I still have plenty of doubts when it comes to Grubauer despite his current impressive streak but I agree with you. It was a confusing decision which on the other hand has become a typical thing after the deadline.

Reactions: Avs and Tike Myson

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I’m not forgetting a damn thing, you just don’t get what I’m saying.
Apparently not. I’m talking about earlier in the season. If you are talking about this last month, then yes, I agree Grubauer should definitely have more starts.

From October-February, I think the goaltending starts we’re handled just fine, minus starting Frank a few games when things were reeeeally bad.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Am I reading things wrong or are people on here complaining about Bednar playing the superior goalie more than the worse one?

I’m glad to see Grubauer playing well lately and I hope he earns the job as our starter for the next 5 years. But as bad as Varlamov has been this year, Grubauer has been significantly worse.
Not in the last month he hasn't. Which is the most important factor when looking at goalies.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
Am I reading things wrong or are people on here complaining about Bednar playing the superior goalie more than the worse one?

I’m glad to see Grubauer playing well lately and I hope he earns the job as our starter for the next 5 years. But as bad as Varlamov has been this year, Grubauer has been significantly worse.

I’m not complaining, personally I would have made the same decision as it makes sense on paper, it just took almost a full season now to actually see how much Varly has declined and how Grub can infact play great but also can suck hard

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The only way Avs will make the playoffs is if they go 8-2 the last 10 games

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Grubauer got easier starts than Varly and still ****ted the bed. In his first ten starts he had save percentage of below 90% five times. You have to be quite dum dum to give that kind of goalie the reins.
"That kind of goalie" was universally regarded as the best backup in the league last summer and ready to take on starting duties. Mistake was made on day #1 when Bednar decided his guy on an expiring contract would be his starter for the year and he stuck with it all season long.

Baron

Aug 23, 2007
10 games left:
Wild
Stars
Blackhawks
Blackhawks
Knights
Coyotes
Blues
Oilers
Jets
Sharks

Wild game is a big one. Hawks games can make or break it for us or Chicago. Stars and Coyotes games are big opportunities too. Basically these next 6 games will decide it...

Reactions: Avs

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

He was bad because he needed 20 games or so to adjust to a new team/system like most other goalies after being traded. Too bad it took so f***ing long to give him 20 games.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not in the last month he hasn't. Which is the most important factor when looking at goalies.
Yes and now you see Grubauer getting more starts. The month prior Varlamov was ungodly good so he was given the opportunities.

Both goaltenders were disastrous for a few months. Then one caught fire and that one was Varlamov. After outplaying the opposition on a nightly basis for nearly two months yet losing solely because of goalie they had one goalie catch fire. Of course you are going to ride him. Now it’s evening out again.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Lets hope this is what Grubs can can do most nights from start of the season he seems to be moving a lot better in the crease and following the puck better

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He was bad because he needed 20 games or so to adjust to a new team/system like most other goalies after being traded. Too bad it took so ****ing long to give him 20 games.
Yeah that’s what a borderline playoff team should do. Give a goalie who plays like absolute shit a little 20 game warm up to see if he gets good all of a sudden.

Again, Varly’s days should be nearly over as an Av. That decision was basically made when Grubauer was traded for an extended. But to suggest playing a goalie who was legitimately the worst goaltender in the NHL for most of this season so he could get used to his new team is lunacy. An NHL coach isn’t going to play his worst option in goal to get him used to his new team. His team’s season and his job is on the line.

The season started with a split. One goalie got hot so he was ridden. Then when he went cold they went back to a split while they both sucked (Grubauer still sucked more). Then when one of those goalies started playing well again he was ridden again and now you’re seeing it go the other way.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
"That kind of goalie" was universally regarded as the best backup in the league last summer and ready to take on starting duties. Mistake was made on day #1 when Bednar decided his guy on an expiring contract would be his starter for the year and he stuck with it all season long.

Just stop. Varly was a better goalie and had better numbers. This isn't some videogame where you can try things unlimited times until you find the right choice. Every coach in the league would had kept Varly as a starter if they were in Bednar's shoes.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
He was bad because he needed 20 games or so to adjust to a new team/system like most other goalies after being traded. Too bad it took so ****ing long to give him 20 games.

If a goalie is playing as bad as Grubauer was the first few months, you don’t keep starting him, no matter the situation. That makes 0 sense

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
I still have plenty of doubts when it comes to Grubauer despite his current impressive streak but I agree with you. It was a confusing decision which on the other hand has become a typical thing after the deadline.
I do too, but it’s at least nice knowing he has the ability to play good when we need big games, there might be some more upside to him for playoff games when we become a contender.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Yeah that’s what a borderline playoff team should do. Give a goalie who plays like absolute **** a little 20 game warm up to see if he gets good all of a sudden.

Again, Varly’s days should be nearly over as an Av. That decision was basically made when Grubauer was traded for an extended. But to suggest playing a goalie who was legitimately the worst goaltender in the NHL for most of this season so he could get used to his new team is lunacy. An NHL coach isn’t going to play his worst option in goal to get him used to his new team. His team’s season and his job is on the line.

The season started with a split. One goalie got hot so he was ridden. Then when he went cold they went back to a split while they both sucked (Grubauer still sucked more). Then when one of those goalies started playing well again he was ridden again and now you’re seeing it go the other way.

Could you imagine these boards had Bednar rode Grubauer at the start of the season? People would have been calling for his head 10 games into the season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just stop. Varly was a better goalie and had better numbers. This isn't some videogame where you can try things unlimited times until you find the right choice. Every coach in the league would had kept Varly as a starter if they were in Bednar's shoes.

Varly is responsible for his struggles earlier in the year, but I put blame on Bednar for burning him out a few weeks ago.

9 games in 16 days. Including three OT games in four days, and then playing him again two days later against an eastern team in Toronto. That was a no brainer start for Grubauer.

Yeah that’s what a borderline playoff team should do. Give a goalie who plays like absolute **** a little 20 game warm up to see if he gets good all of a sudden.

That's how I view it as well. I think the right goalie decisions were made except for a couple times in the season.

Early on not playing Francouz when both goalies were struggling, and there was a stretch of Eastern games. Plus recently by overplaying Varlamov coming off a minor injury. Varly was playing very well, then started looking extremely tired, and never really recovered.

Last edited:

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
940B6EF1-DFFE-4F8D-8B92-50F749F81087.gif
Could you imagine these boards had Bednar rode Grubauer at the start of the season? People would have been calling for his head 10 games into the season.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and Avs

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yet, we'd likely be sitting in a playoff spot now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad