GDT: Game 72: Avs vs. Devils - Last Second Edition

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Mack needs 2G 3A in the next 2 games to match last year's performance. Unlikely but not impossible.

Scoring is way up though, so it wouldn't be as impressive.

Reactions: Tike Myson

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Could you imagine these boards had Bednar rode Grubauer at the start of the season? People would have been calling for his head 10 games into the season.

I think some subscribe to the notion that Grubauer may have played better with more opportunity early in the season. He came here to be the starter; Varlamov was given the starter role for no discernible reason (he didn't outplay Grubauer in camp and in fact only flourished when he was officially named the starter, a confidence booster for any goalie), and for a long while Grubauer was coming in on mop-up duty or after long stretches on the bench.

It's not as simple as "Varlamov was good and Grubauer was bad so that's why they were starter and backup". Grubauer played the best hockey of his career when given a chance as a starter with Washington. Varlamov had to shit the bed for weeks before Grubauer was given the same kind of chance on the Avs, and by then it was clear his confidence and trust in Bednar was damaged.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Of course once the Avs are most likely out of the playoffs, they get a flat team, and the good bounces off two skates for goals. Then NJ basically packs it in for the 3rd with only five shots.

A nice read and a shot by Barrie, and a few nice shifts by MacKinnon and Mikko, but overall this felt more like an average performance than the kind you want to see in a must win. I'm not sure that gets it done against a good team, but two points is two points.

Another shutout for Grubauer, even though it was another relatively easy one. Made a few big saves when they needed it though, and looked sharp. He deserves the next start.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I think some subscribe to the notion that Grubauer may have played better with more opportunity early in the season. He came here to be the starter; Varlamov was given the starter role for no discernible reason (he didn't outplay Grubauer in camp and in fact only flourished when he was officially named the starter, a confidence booster for any goalie), and for a long while Grubauer was coming in on mop-up duty or after long stretches on the bench.

It's not as simple as "Varlamov was good and Grubauer was bad so that's why they were starter and backup". Grubauer played the best hockey of his career when given a chance as a starter with Washington. Varlamov had to **** the bed for weeks before Grubauer was given the same kind of chance on the Avs, and by then it was clear his confidence and trust in Bednar was damaged.

And that’s fine. We can Monday Morning quarterback it all we want. But the fact of the matter is to say Grubauer played bad the first half of the season would be a compliment to him.

The guy wasn’t handed the starting job over the goalie who has been the starter here for the last 7 years? Tough shit. Go out and show that you deserve to be the starter. Which he has not done until this last month.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
This win makes the Ducks lose that much more painful if that makes any sense. For the record I would have started Grubs in both these weekend games. Grubs should also play the majority of the games down the stretch here as it seems the team plays different with him back there than they do with Semyon of late.

I expected them to split these last 2, with the better goalie getting both the Dal and Min game. Then split the b2b with Chi.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Graves being better than Cole and Nemeth is a bit of a mirage. Had he been used in roles such as those two I’m sure he wouldn’t be viewed as positively.
Its true. Hes a solid bottom pairing guy but his game dipped big time when he was playing some heavier minutes against bettter players. I like him in the bottom pairing role and I love that he loves to shoot.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Which in a way I get, but at the same time he was brought in to develop and build a young team. Outside of MacK & Rants, who should’ve improved regardless of the coach none of the young players have progressed by leaps and bounds in his 3 seasons.

I mean, I think its fair to say a decent amount of that is on the players. But at the same time, Compher has certainly made strides under Bednar, Kerfoot for as much as we dump on him is a productive NHLer straight out of college for us. Zadorov has certainly improved under Bednar just maybe not as much as we had hoped but again to me that is on Zadorov just not having it click for him.

A few of our young guys have taken strides under this coaching staff.

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also, Ian Cole is a dirty pos and he also sucks. Beautiful turnover in the third when he had no pressure at all. He had his d partner wide open and tried to Chris Pronger a pass that was picked off. I hate this guy.

He's been trying and failing to Chris Pronger his outlet passes all year. It's quite frustrating that he hasn't learned he isn't capable of doing this.

I think he's capable of playing better defensively. Not sure why his game has fallen off so much. It's mostly mental mistakes on his part.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Yeah Grubauer is actually instilling some confidence in me again. He has been almost unbeatable his last 5 starts. I'm feeling lukewarm about a Grubs/Frankie tandem for next year at this point.

I think it's a worthy gamble to go with them and see what happens.
Am I the only one that thinks Grub gets all the easy starts now against the bottom feeders and that’s the reason his stats in the past 5 are great?

I mean he did get Nashville. And the Canes are hot rn. But even those teams don’t have crazy offensive stars. More blue line heavy.

I reserve the right to see how he’d do against Tampa or something before saying he deserves the net anymore than Varly

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Am I the only one that thinks Grub gets all the easy starts now against the bottom feeders and that’s the reason his stats in the past 5 are great?

I mean he did get Nashville. And the Canes are hot rn. But even those teams don’t have crazy offensive stars. More blue line heavy.

I reserve the right to see how he’d do against Tampa or something before saying he deserves the net anymore than Varly

Lol some of the lengths people will go to discredit Grubauer.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
But Karlsson..

If he signs in Denver this offseason the 1st time I make it out there for a game I’m treating everyone from the area who can make it to a nice steak dinner, plus picking up the postgame bar tab. :laugh:

*Assuming we’re talking Erik, not William.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The Avs will have to win out, go 10-0 to have a shot at the playoffs.

The math is ugly at this point. Arizona sits 4 up with 10 games left we have to go 5 points better than them over that stretch because of tiebreakers. If we go say 8-2, unlikely but say it happens. That would mean AZ would have to go 5-4-1 or worse to make it. That's a lot of luck if they play that bad down the stretch. 9-1 for us makes gives you a better shot. 10-0 you probably make it due to how many games we have left against direct competition.

No matter what at this point 8-2 is the minimum, but 10-0 is probably where it needs to be to get in. Can't count on other teams losing.

Reactions: MacBradley

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Never loved math much and those numbers suck.
For the first time in years Im cool with them goin for it and not rooting for a loss everynight.
Lotto Gods

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad