GDT: Game 72: Avs vs. Devils - Last Second Edition

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Avs will have to win out, go 10-0 to have a shot at the playoffs.

The math is ugly at this point. Arizona sits 4 up with 10 games left we have to go 5 points better than them over that stretch because of tiebreakers. If we go say 8-2, unlikely but say it happens. That would mean AZ would have to go 5-4-1 or worse to make it. That's a lot of luck if they play that bad down the stretch. 9-1 for us makes gives you a better shot. 10-0 you probably make it due to how many games we have left against direct competition.

No matter what at this point 8-2 is the minimum, but 10-0 is probably where it needs to be to get in. Can't count on other teams losing.

Nah, not true at all. Especially if Dallas doesn't get a point tonight and finds themselves right back in the thick of this mess.

8-2-0 and we'd be in. So long as our 2 losses dont come to Dallas/Minnesota/Arizona who we play each one more time down the stretch. Win those 3 games, and could get in on an 8-2-0 record, hell maybe even 7-3-0 would get it done.

Arizona and Minnesota still play each other once as well. As does Dallas and Minnesota. So somebody has to lose each of those games.

I'd be confident in saying 7-3-0 where we go 3-0-0 in those 3 key games would get us in a playoff spot.

Reactions: Tike Myson

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nah, not true at all. Especially if Dallas doesn't get a point tonight and finds themselves right back in the thick of this mess.

8-2-0 and we'd be in. So long as our 2 losses dont come to Dallas/Minnesota/Arizona who we play each one more time down the stretch. Win those 3 games, and could get in on an 8-2-0 record, hell maybe even 7-3-0 would get it done.

Arizona and Minnesota still play each other once as well. As does Dallas and Minnesota. So somebody has to lose each of those games.

I'd be confident in saying 7-3-0 where we go 3-0-0 in those 3 key games would get us in a playoff spot.
You forgot the 2 games vs Hawks, which are right now the hottest team of the bunch and are ahead of us.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You forgot the 2 games vs Hawks, which are right now the hottest team of the bunch and are ahead of us.

Not really, they're a factor but not nearly as much as the other 3. They're behind us and still play us twice, Arizona, and Dallas down the stretch.

If we go 7-3-0 down the stretch with 5 of our 7 wins being those big games we'll be more then fine. 8-2-0 or anything better and we should stand a good chance at getting WC1 honestly.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

If you go 3-0 against those three teams with no OT in there the number could be 8. If you go 2-0 against Chicago as well it probably drops to 7. No matter what it's a tall task for a team that has no consistency what so ever.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
172AA975-886A-4D14-8E6C-3F27758EA9A3.gif

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
2 more years.

Safe to say that Sakic sucks at signing UFA dmen: Stuart, Beauchemin and now Cole. We should be thankful he originally lost the Orpik and Alzner sweepstakes.

Don't do it again Joe.

Deep down I think Joe is one of these 90's era guys who get their dick hard for "grit" and the team suffers

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’ll take one Ian Cole terrible pinch please.
Correct. He does this on his first shift of a nothing nothing game. Zero reason for it. He just does it and forces Grubs into making a 10 bell save. Now, Barrie didn't exactly play that well either but the blame for the play happening falls squarely on the guy Joe signed last summer.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
The way he has constructed his teams would contradict your theory.

Roy, sure. Sakic? He ranks skating and high IQ above everything else.
Yeah I dont see a whole lot of size and grit on this team outside of Z/idk/idc. Tons of small and so-called "skilled" forwards and very little depth.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Joe seems open to analytics, as does Yzerman, but both still seem to value physical stay-at-home types who don't have great underlying numbers.

I'm not too mad about the Cole signing. But it is telling that the team played better without him. What I'm more mad about is that it took THIS LONG for the coach to finally put Ryan Graves back in.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Joe seems open to analytics, as does Yzerman, but both still seem to value physical stay-at-home types who don't have great underlying numbers.

I'm not too mad about the Cole signing. But it is telling that the team played better without him. What I'm more mad about is that it took THIS LONG for the coach to finally put Ryan Graves back in.
I wish Bednar would've went to 7 D a few weeks ago after sending Greer down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad