GDT: Game 72: Avs @ Flames | Friday, March 18th, 7pm MT | The Race to 86 Points

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dougie Hamilton got a 10 min misconduct in OT?

Well now we'll really see if MacK was providing nothing or not.

Cussed out the ref after the Iginla tripping penatly where the Flames probably thought he went down easy there (which I even think as well, there was contact, but a player of Iginla's frame doesn't go down that easy there).

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
New plan everyone. Rest of the season no matter what, when we win games and when the Wild lose games, there must be absolutely no happiness at all. NONE. It is like the whole universe has been out of check these last couple days because of the back to back happy days that we got double whammied with bad news injuries. We must complain and not be satisfied at all costs.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
What did Mack's shifts after that injury look like? I doubt he tore anything might just be a similar injury to Duchene's.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What did Mack's shifts after that injury look like? I doubt he tore anything might just be a similar injury to Duchene's.

Looked relatively ok but his stride didn't quite look right. Not the same power Mack stride. He only had two shifts after I believe.

Like I mentioned on the last page we can't read anything into him not leaving immediately in pain. We've seen that many times in the league before, including the Avs, and then it ends up being pretty serious.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
No can't read anything into that unfortunately. We've seen guys finish shifts and finish games after tweaking their knee on a play, but then be out for the season.

Yup. I had a board collision in January - it hurt but I figured it would be fine if I went to the bench for a bit. 5 minutes later I felt fine and decided to try another shift. It didn't hurt but it felt weird/wobbly so I left after the period.

Turns out it was a grade 3 mcl tear, completely severed from the shin bone, as well as an acl tear, mfl tear, and meniscus damage. Needed surgery and I'm probably out around a year.

I hope this isn't the case as the initial trauma didn't look too bad, but it's really hard to know with knees. I was walking pretty normally the same day as I tore multiple ligaments.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yup. I had a board collision in January - it hurt but I figured it would be fine if I went to the bench for a bit. 5 minutes later I felt fine and decided to try another shift. It didn't hurt but it felt weird/wobbly so I left after the period.

Turns out it was a grade 3 mcl tear, completely severed from the shin bone, as well as an acl tear, mfl tear, and meniscus damage. Needed surgery and I'm probably out around a year.

I hope this isn't the case as the initial trauma didn't look too bad, but it's really hard to know with knees. I was walking pretty normally the same day as I tore multiple ligaments.

Bummer. Yea these knee injuries are weird and all over the map in terms of severity and how your body reacts initially. Good you're getting around ok and there wasn't too much pain.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
I don't think they'd announce Duchene's injury as 7-10 days if anything was torn...but then again they said EJ would be out 2 weeks and he ended up missing more.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
I don't think they'd announce Duchene's injury as 7-10 days if anything was torn...but then again they said EJ would be out 2 weeks and he ended up missing more.

7-10 days would be pretty consistent with a grade 1 mcl tear but who knows if that's actually what it is. After my knee injury I've become somewhat of an armchair expert on them :laugh:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bodnarchuk got 1 shift after the Gelinas injury. Redmond got benched after the game winner in Winnipeg.

You don't trust these guys. Just call up Zadorov. At least he's got potential and size.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That was a nice win, but why can't we have nice things? I mean seriously what did the Avs do to piss off the hockey gods?

First Landy goes full ****** and get suspended for 3 games at the worst time, then our best consistent offensive threat, Duchene, goes down with a similar injury to what he got in 2014 when he was also our best offensive threat, and now MacKinnon goes down with some freak injury...is this some kind of sick joke.

Fighting hard for that last playoff spots and the hockey gods don't want us to have it. Lame.

Thank god we play Edmonton next game because they are about the only team we have a chance of beating without Duchene and MacKinnon. And then hopefully one of Duchene or MacK is good enough to go by our next game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bodnarchuk got 1 shift after the Gelinas injury. Redmond got benched after the game winner in Winnipeg.

You don't trust these guys. Just call up Zadorov. At least he's got potential and size.

Yea, I think it made sense for Z to spend most of the year in SA so he can play a lot of minutes, but at this point of the season with only 11 games left down there, I don't think it'd make that much difference playing 3rd pair minutes with the Avs if that's what they decide to do.

He's clearly an upgrade on Gelinas, Bodnarchuk, Redmond, and Guenin no matter what, and these games are massively important.

He makes even more sense as a callup than Rantanen IMO.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Fate wants Rantanen and Zadorov on the Avs and doesn't care what Roy and Sakic think. Stop pissing off fate Roykic! We're running out of core players!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yea, I think it made sense for Z to spend most of the year in SA so he can play a lot of minutes, but at this point of the season with only 11 games left down there, I don't think it'd make that much difference playing 3rd pair minutes with the Avs if that's what they decide to do.

He's clearly an upgrade on Gelinas, Bodnarchuk, Redmond, and Guenin no matter what, and these games are massively important.

He makes even more sense as a callup than Rantanen IMO.

Neither of them will get as much benefit out of big minutes in SA than they will playing limited roles in the NHL this late in the season. The big club needs them and their development at this point can't be hurt and may be helped. The Rampage are a mess anyway and the Avs need their help. 11 more games of heavy minutes in the minors won't effect their long-term prospects anyway.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy just doesn't trust anyone.

They'll have 11 forwards even after Landy's return. I don't think any NHL team would willingly continue to not even dress a full team so I think they have to call someone. Smart money is on Everberg. But if someone is just going to play 6 minutes on the 4th line I'd love it to be Henley. He can win some faceoffs and hit a few guys and he's decent defensively at least. There's no point in bringing up anyone with a higher skill level than that to not use it. At this point I think Roy could stomache Everberg so that's probably the choice. There's still an extra D so no call there.

Funny that our core is supposed to be getting all this experience from the push and they aren't even playing.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Big comeback win. This one would have really hurt if they lost because they handed the Flames two SHGs on the same PP.

I can't stand Comeau. So clueless and lazy on one of those SHGs. I think it may have been the second one that could have easily been prevented. Just two more years. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll get picked up in the expansion draft so it'll only be one more year.

Varly was amazing in the second half of the game.

Hopefully MacKinnon is okay.

Parks

Dec 19, 2015
Colorado
I can't stand Comeau. So clueless and lazy on one of those SHGs. I think it may have been the second one that could have easily been prevented. Just two more years. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll get picked up in the expansion draft so it'll only be one more year.

I actually like Comeau. He forechecks hard, is good on the PK. The problem is he's a 3rd liner who's being asked to do too much. He doesn't have the puck skills to be on the PP. Hopefully next season we have enough depth at wing so he can settle into the 3rd line again and not be put on the PP.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I actually like Comeau. He forechecks hard, is good on the PK. The problem is he's a 3rd liner who's being asked to do too much. He doesn't have the puck skills to be on the PP. Hopefully next season we have enough depth at wing so he can settle into the 3rd line again and not be put on the PP.

The amount of playing time he gets isn't his fault but the dumb penalties and lazy turnovers is all him. Maybe he'll be fine at 13-14 mins/gm but I don't believe he'd stay at that amount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad