GDT: Game 72: Avs @ Flames | Friday, March 18th, 7pm MT | The Race to 86 Points

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't care about the business aspect at this point. Get Rantanen and Zads up here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I actually like Comeau. He forechecks hard, is good on the PK. The problem is he's a 3rd liner who's being asked to do too much. He doesn't have the puck skills to be on the PP. Hopefully next season we have enough depth at wing so he can settle into the 3rd line again and not be put on the PP.

Yeah basically this. He's pretty much the ideal third line forward. Kills penalties, scores 30 or so points a year, plays physical. It's not his fault he's unable to handle playing on a scoring line and on the PP.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
i was at the game didn't see anything about mackinnon can someone tell me what happened

went back and watched macks shifts the last 15mins or so. This play below was the only one of note. Was skating fine and looked good until this. Finished the shift and had two more after it, but didn't look quite right. Like his foot was bothering him or something, his stride didn't look normal and powerful. No contact or anything worrisome before or after this play.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't care about the business aspect at this point. Get Rantanen and Zads up here.

yep, it's definately :deadhorse: at this point

if your goal is to win and make the playoffs this season (like Roy stated it was) then you ice the lineup that gives you the best opportunity to do just that and I (and many others) have believed those 2 give you a better chance than players suiting up right now or even before trades, injuries, and suspensions

I don't claim to be an expert in any way on some of the business aspects of the CBA, ELC, etc but screw all that .... you play for today not tomorrow .... there are no guarantees and you don't know what it holds .... either of these guys could have a career ending injury next year ... so what good will it have done you to hold them back now

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Big comeback win. This one would have really hurt if they lost because they handed the Flames two SHGs on the same PP.

I can't stand Comeau. So clueless and lazy on one of those SHGs. I think it may have been the second one that could have easily been prevented. Just two more years. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll get picked up in the expansion draft so it'll only be one more year.

Varly was amazing in the second half of the game.

Hopefully MacKinnon is okay.

I noticed today more than usual Comeau was killing an absurd amount of plays offensively when MacKinnon and Boedker would be working the cycle. He just isn't a quick decision maker with the puck and shouldn't play anything close to what he does, but injuries and Roy cause him to play where he is in the lineup.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Some days you get either the good Comeau or the bad Comeau. On the good days he's seemingly the one one that forechecks, gets a little nasty and shoots the puck. On the bad days he takes bad penalties, makes stupid decisions and turns the puck over. What can ya do :dunno: I do think he and Soderberg have been missing a little something since they've been split up. Maybe not an ideal pairing but it seems like Soda calms Comeau down a bit and in return he kinda revs up Soderberg.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Some days you get either the good Comeau or the bad Comeau. On the good days he's seemingly the one one that forechecks, gets a little nasty and shoots the puck. On the bad days he takes bad penalties, makes stupid decisions and turns the puck over. What can ya do :dunno: I do think he and Soderberg have been missing a little something since they've been split up. Maybe not an ideal pairing but it seems like Soda calms Comeau down a bit and in return he kinda revs up Soderberg.

It's really true and quite strange. Some shifts he's the ultimate team guy, making hits, sacrificing the body, controlling the puck well, making great passes, and going hard to the net for goals.

Other shifts and he's sending passes to absolutely no one, seeing open guys and confusingly not passing to them in favor of some 5% type of pass that doesn't come close to working, making weak efforts on shots he should bury, or dogging it on the back check.

I'm not sure I've seen such a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde routine within games so often. It's not hot and cold week to week or month to month. It's within every game. It's becoming Mitchell level frustrating.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
WTF was Gelinas doing on that 3rd goal? :laugh:

The same thing he was thinking when he skated back for the puck with the pace of a snail, and left himself completely vulnerable for the elbow injury got.

JuGfNo1.jpg

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Okay so from what I saw tonight , first of all the 1st goal was kicked in for sure, bigras played average, we had a very lousy 1st period but we actually had a very strong 3rd. But in all I think we had a very average game and think we escaped with two points

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I actually like Comeau. He forechecks hard, is good on the PK. The problem is he's a 3rd liner who's being asked to do too much. He doesn't have the puck skills to be on the PP. Hopefully next season we have enough depth at wing so he can settle into the 3rd line again and not be put on the PP.

It's easier to ***** about him than accept that he saved 2 sure goals last night and made a number of good plays against the puck.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
It's easier to ***** about him than accept that he saved 2 sure goals last night and made a number of good plays against the puck.

Saved one goal, made a good takeaway on a 3-on-2 and was at fault for one goal against.
I'd say that was an okay performance. Not better or worse.

But I agree it's easier to moan about him. He's playing too much and his faults are more exposed. If he'd play 12-14 min along with PK time (included in that 12-14 min) his contributions would be more praised.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I was able to acquire EJ's goal puck last night. First goal puck for me.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Hopefully MacKinnon's okay. I was suspecting an injury when he magically disappeared from the lineup. Roy and Sakic are going to need to do some call ups or something with Dutch and MacK out @ C and Gelinas out as well. Hopefully this means the beginning of great things by Rants and Zads.

With regards to the actual game, the Avs puck watch so much it's brutal. People are getting out of position so easily. Against the Flames and the Canucks they basically gave the opposition teams as much time and space as they wanted right in the middle for tips and tap ins. These are all things that will absolutely need to be fixed.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Boedker has been a game breaker each of the last couple games we've played. He has been great.

Any word on Duchene and Macks injuries? If either one of these guys are out long term we're gonna be in tough shape. If both are out you gotta think this team is probably done. Soderberg would be the #1C and lord only knows who would be the #2C(Grigorenko I guess?).

We need those two back as quickly as possible. And if they're gonna be out a while Rantanen has to be called up. Contract be damned.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
One thing I did like seeing yesterday was Greg starting to use his big frame to his advantage while with the puck. He definitely needs to get stronger and get a sense of how to use his size to his advantage at this level. He has a bad habit of just using his reach when along the boards that would be so much more useful if he got his body in the way first. I think he'd be a guy that would grow so much with a guy like Jagr giving him some tips (not necessarily just Jagr though, any of the big bodied skill forward vets would do IMO...I just want Jagr cause he's awesome).

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
One thing I did like seeing yesterday was Greg starting to use his big frame to his advantage while with the puck. He definitely needs to get stronger and get a sense of how to use his size to his advantage at this level. He has a bad habit of just using his reach when along the boards that would be so much more useful if he got his body in the way first. I think he'd be a guy that would grow so much with a guy like Jagr giving him some tips (not necessarily just Jagr though, any of the big bodied skill forward vets would do IMO...I just want Jagr cause he's awesome).

Its nice seeing Gregs doing so so well, not perfect but a HUGE improvement

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Hopefully MacKinnon's okay. I was suspecting an injury when he magically disappeared from the lineup. Roy and Sakic are going to need to do some call ups or something with Dutch and MacK out @ C and Gelinas out as well. Hopefully this means the beginning of great things by Rants and Zads.

With regards to the actual game, the Avs puck watch so much it's brutal. People are getting out of position so easily. Against the Flames and the Canucks they basically gave the opposition teams as much time and space as they wanted right in the middle for tips and tap ins. These are all things that will absolutely need to be fixed.

Gelinas and Bodnarchuk watch the puck so much I think they might be hypnotized by it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad