Post-Game Talk: GAME 7 - YUCK!!!! Ducks score 3 in final 4 minutes

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

It was a punch right to the gut of the franchise.
Fueled by a furious third-period rally, the Anaheim Ducks stunned the Bruins, 4-3, in overtime Thursday night, denying Boston the best start in the franchise’s 100-year history.
Instead, the Bruins fell to 6-0-1 after blowing a 3-1 lead when Anaheim scored a pair in the final two minutes of regulation, and Mason McTavish finished it off with the winner during the 3-on-3 extra session.

“Inexcusable,” said Bruins coach Jim Montgomery.

After smothering the Ducks (3-4) for most of the first 55 minutes, the Bruins lost focus over the final five. They went from structured to discombobulated, particularly in their end.

“A lack of poise with the puck. We had opportunities. I thought the game was over twice to convert an empty net. Guys whiffing on pucks. The guys were trying to go for the open net instead of using the walls as an indirect to clear and get off the ice. That was mostly it,” said Montgomery. “And then the other thing is we could have extended our lead to 4- or 5-1. We had many opportunities to do it and we didn’t finish the game.”

You could feel the sense of impending doom.

With Gibson still on the bench, Troy Terry tied it with a quick rising wrister from the right dot with just 15 ticks left on the clock.

Having seized the momentum, the Ducks controlled the overtime period and McTavish ended it, sneaking a wrister past Linus Ullmark (28 saves) off a pass from Carlsson.

“Well, those are games you want to finish the right way and those are points you need down the stretch,” said Charlie Coyle. “It’s tough to win this league. You’re never out of it. And we’ve got to learn from it.”

Then came the final five flurry that nobody saw coming. Getting to the puck and clearing it became a monumental task.

“Yeah, we’ve got to find a way to do that, and we have to play our structure the right way, whether they get a bounce or not,” said Coyle. “It’s up to us to put us in the best position to win a hockey game and we’ve got to get the puck out when the play’s there [or] teams will make you pay. It doesn’t matter who you’re playing, teams will make you pay and can’t afford to give them those opportunities. We’ve got to make them earn it and a few of those they didn’t.”

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
As someone who has had a couple serious eye injuries, even that pic makes me cringe. Eye injuries hurt like hell, more so during the healing process. Any time I see a hockey player get hurt around the eyes I have a very strong visceral reaction. So glad that what happened to Lauko was not worse.
Yeah i got a stick just above my left eye when I was a kid. 6 stitches and your right the healing was terrible. Nice scar though. Lol. This happened before the mandated face masks. Shows how old i am lol

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Why not? McAvoy is pretty clearly one of the best doing it. What #12 can't skate well enough.

He was a lot better than McAvoy in that series and good again against Toronto.
Its what happens once inside the offense zone that has me asking for #12 to at least get a shot at PP1 . He is calm with the puck and is not afraid to take a shot and can get a shot on net consistently. Charlie is all over the place with the puck , he has moves and tons of skill but lacks a consistency especially with his shot on net. Plus it gives #73 a few minutes rest on avg per night , come playoff time that can be a big benefit.

Reactions: BMC

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
agree to disagree

But one thing is for sure Montour was the best Dman in that series last year.....Mac wasnt even close.
Not to mention he out produced the Bruins top D in the reg season too.

Yea but we are were comparing top Dmen.
I’m still taking McAvoy over Montour.

Montour was great against the Bruins, no doubt, but the rest of his post season left a lot to be desired. He went on a stretch of 1 point in 12 games after that series.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’m still taking McAvoy over Montour.

Montour was great against the Bruins, no doubt, but the rest of his post season left a lot to be desired. He went on a stretch of 1 point in 12 games after that series.
Where as McAvoy was great in the first half of a round ......the rest of the series he "left a lot to be desired"
Close but Montour took the lead last season. IMO

Cheers

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
And the second center, Coyle looks like a fourth liner. Slow as shit losing face-offs coughing up pucks left and right in the D zone.

Need a trade to get a legit NHL center and move these guys down in the line up where they belong. The next 5 games wIll be interesting for sure
gonna have to trade a goalie

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
It is crucial for them to realize that relying solely on the best goalie tandem in the league won't save them every time. They must clear the puck out of the zone with more urgency. This should serve as a much-needed wake-up call, especially considering that the schedule is becoming more challenging.

Reactions: BMC

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I agree. He is one of my favorites (ever) in Boston though.
Sorry Susan, I was actually joking. When GodFather suggested bringing Claude back I couldn’t help but pretend I thought he meant as a player — hence the “he’s lost a step” bad joke.

On a serious note, I don’t think Claude is a possibility to come back — if only because of his health. But like you, I loved the guy and he was definitely a favorite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad