GDT: Game #7 Wings vs Avs: October 17th 2013, 7 PM MST | A serious case of Elder Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Johnson on the left point getting shots through was my favourite part of this game apart from his goal. Too bad the both times he did get his shot through there were no Avs forward screening Monster

We scored twice but the PP still isn't right. Benoit, Tanguay, and PAP can't shoot and the lack of a threat from the point hurts even more when the goalie can see everything. I don't know if Roy/Army wants it that way but why aren't Downie and Landeskog in front of the net?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not against Wilson getting to play through his issues but Barrie needs to come back in, could get both of them going as Wilson can just focus on get himself on track defensively while Barrie focuses on doing his thing with the puck.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
We scored twice but the PP still isn't right. Benoit, Tanguay, and PAP can't shoot and the lack of a threat from the point hurts even more when the goalie can see everything. I don't know if Roy/Army wants it that way but why aren't Downie and Landeskog in front of the net?

I agree, if I have to see Tanguay do another slap pass to the bottom of the circle Im going to cry. The man should not be on the point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Man how good could this team be if we could bring in a veteran top pairing puck mover like Erhoff or Campbell without breaking up our team. That would be a realistic playoff team who could even win a series already.

Would also help us buy time for Bigras to fully develop into the stud he should become, as well as make it easier for Barrie to thrive. I'd totally give up Elliott and our First round pick to make it happen.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Tanguay have to shoot at times or he'll never be able to use the diagonal passes, which have been working great. Downie is going to score lots of goals from there.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
He played the point in Calgary too and fed Cammallieri one-T's all day. He's not the problem.

It's too bad we don't have a legit right handed sniper like a Cammallieri. As the season goes on I could see Mack teeing them up,from the half circle.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I have no idea what pairings should be on D, just want Barrie back. Young guy should be playing or send him down.

Swap Downie with McGinn and Tanguay with Parenteau.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
Tanguay is really starting to bother me. He could be the best passer in the NHL but if you don't ever shoot you can't fool the defense let alone make a play around the defense. This one dimensional play is a bad habit. He's losing opportunities for the team by overpassing. He has to realize that some plays that the shot is the best play. Landeskog can crash the net and God knows how well Stastny can react to rebounds. Anything near him he can direct to his stick (mostly talking about passes to him but rebounds too). Landeskog was great tonight, he could've had a couple. Also, I really really really enjoyed MacKinnon's hunger tonight especially in the 2nd period. He looked like he really wanted to bury one. All in all a "good loss" if that's possible. Our offense was dynamic in the 2nd and 3rd period. Detroit's two powerplay goals were guys left alone in front of the net and in the slot where our coverage wasn't working and that was the difference I didn't see the Mitchell change so I can't comment on that. Varlamov played adequate and like Roy said, he couldn't really do much on their goals.

Edit: I'm not saying Tanguay's the best passer in the NHL, just that even if he was, ""

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Tanguay is really starting to bother me....

I actually though Tangs was much more fond of shooting the puck last night.
I was happy that he didn't pass that much as he did before. I mean the Dallas game had a ridiculous amount of passing by him. Last night it was okay.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why is everybody blaming Mitchell for that goal? He worked the puck down low all by himself on the PK and kept it deep for a good 20 seconds. He was without a stick and went to the bench for a change. He or anybody else would have done the same whether there was a stick in their hand or not. When you decide to go deep on a pk you risk the fact that you when you get back to the zone there will be 4 players from the other team already setting up but when you keep the puck deep for as long as he did, that risk is usually worth it.

He maybe should have skated a little harder to the bench but that's about all you can ask for. There's no way he could gas out going back to the defensive zone. It was time for fresh legs. If any of you have played hockey before you know the msot exhausting part of playing is when there's a scrum on the boards.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why is everybody blaming Mitchell for that goal? He worked the puck down low all by himself on the PK and kept it deep for a good 20 seconds. He was without a stick and went to the bench for a change. He or anybody else would have done the same whether there was a stick in their hand or not. When you decide to go deep on a pk you risk the fact that you when you get back to the zone there will be 4 players from the other team already setting up but when you keep the puck deep for as long as he did, that risk is usually worth it.

He maybe should have skated a little harder to the bench but that's about all you can ask for. There's no way he could gas out going back to the defensive zone. It was time for fresh legs. If any of you have played hockey before you know the msot exhausting part of playing is when there's a scrum on the boards.

I agree with you. While I haven't played hockey at a level higher than the lowest tier in my Rec league, my team Captain is hard on all of us if we don't hustle on and off the ice for changes.

That's what I blame him for. He was so lackadaisical in skating back to the bench. He could've hustled more and allowed a better opportunity for the new skater to join the play.

I also think he could've made the pass attempt to O'Reilly sooner. By the time he did the Red Wing player had a chance to get his stick in the way. We're only 7 games into the season and I'm already tired of Mitchell. He has some good qualities, yes he does, and those include his blazer of a shot and his stickhandling, but he is absolutely a puck hog. He doesn't seem to like to pass unless he comes to a 100% realization that he has to. If I were Roy I would bench him for the next game based on his lazy looking skating back to the bench on the last Wings PP goal.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I put more of the blame on Mackinnon actually on that play. His stick should have been on the ice. If his stick was on the ice he prolly intercepts or deflects that pass to Franzen and we be ok.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Honestly I felt the Avs played a decent game last night, we weren't going to go 82-0. I actually though there were some positives.

1. EJ getting a goal, I think he is right on the verge of breaking out in a big way he has played really well this year defensively and now he is starting to get some offensive results the past 2 games, I think his confidence will sky rocket.

2. Landy getting a goal. I think he was pressing, hopefuly this will relax him a little bit so he can go into viking mode.

3. Getting 2 PP goals, I know the PP still didn't look good but hopefully results will give us more confidence going forward.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Honestly I felt the Avs played a decent game last night, we weren't going to go 82-0. I actually though there were some positives.

1. EJ getting a goal, I think he is right on the verge of breaking out in a big way he has played really well this year defensively and now he is starting to get some offensive results the past 2 games, I think his confidence will sky rocket.

2. Landy getting a goal. I think he was pressing, hopefuly this will relax him a little bit so he can go into viking mode.

3. Getting 2 PP goals, I know the PP still didn't look good but hopefully results will give us more confidence going forward.

After scoring goal he really started to show a lot of confidence, which actually back-fired later, but at least he was showing confidence in his offensive game. That's good thing. I think EJ will put up 25+ points this season.

Landeskog The Viking

Duchene The Boss
Jul 5, 2007
NS Canada
After scoring goal he really started to show a lot of confidence, which actually back-fired later, but at least he was showing confidence in his offensive game. That's good thing. I think EJ will put up 25+ points this season.

I agree i had a feeling if he was used right he'd get some points he should be good for at least 5 goals if he gets to play the left side on the PP and don't see why not 25+ assists. succo definitely put him in no position to succeed. when we first got him hee was racking up points. i believe hes gonna be a 40pt guy yet something similar to suter. with all that pp time theres no way he won't rack up assists on this team

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not with the Sea of RED I saw on the television. Yuck

Unfortunately the Mass Exodus from Detroit has brought a ton of their fans to the Rocky Mountain area. Gonna take a while for Avs fans to reclaim the building from Wings fans during weekday ,especially now that the Wings will only play 1 game a year in Denver (until we beat them for a Stanley Cup anyway :nod: )

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just watched the game and thought we looked great. The sequence near the end where we had them hemmed and were blasting shots was fun to watch. We dominated them at times.

I'm glad they brought the effort they did. Can't see us losing too many games if we play like that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No. There's a reason you don't see many forwards on the PK go too hard on the forecheck--if they use up all their gas (which Mitchell clearly did) then getting off the ice for the change once there's a break the other way leaves the rest of the team even more shorthanded, which is exactly what happened.

I really love Mitchell's grit and heart, but he didn't make the smart play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad