GDT: Game #7 Sharks @ Bruins - Black Bear Diner Edition - 4:00 PM PDT CSN-CA KFOX

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hertl-Thornton-Wingels
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Sheppard-Pavelski-Tierney
McGinn-Desi-Hayes

Vlasic-Burns
Mueller-Braun
I don't care (really shoudl be Fedun)-Demers

I think that looks like a pretty good lineup.

Essentially the line up I've posted.

It's much more balanced. I really think the Thornton-Pavs thing doesn't work, because they are play similar roles. With this line up you have the skillful playmakers in the center, and the wings with the pace.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Hertl-Thornton-Wingels
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Sheppard-Pavelski-Tierney
McGinn-Desi-Hayes

Vlasic-Burns
Mueller-Braun
I don't care (really shoudl be Fedun)-Demers

I think that looks like a pretty good lineup.

Yeah but that'd be like playing be a gm on easy. Todd likes playing on extreme difficulty by icing Hannan, Scott, Burish, and benching the youngsters. It's more of a challenge to him or some nonsense theory only koalas believe. :shakehead

SJSharks42

May 8, 2009
I hope the coaches can see that we're really not worse off playing players like Tierney, McGinn, and Mueller over Burish, Scott, and Hannan.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tied 3-3 in the third. We were in it. It's not like we were blown out of the building.

Everything's fine. We've a 4-2 record.

Tweak a bit, maybe. But let's go at least 10 games before talking multiple changes.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Tied 3-3 in the third. We were in it. It's not like we were blown out of the building.

Everything's fine. We've a 4-2 record.

Tweak a bit, maybe. But let's go at least 10 games before talking multiple changes.

I'm not really commenting because I don't have anything new or constructive to say, but I'm not upset about the losses. For the opposite reason though. I have zero expectations for this team. Their record thus far is frankly better than they deserve, they are clearly worse than last year.

I do think it's pretty funny though that Burns currently leads all d-men league wide in points, and he's still getting trashed here, lol. Burns isn't perfect, but he's the one guy on the team who rolled into this season ready to go, him and Marleau maybe.

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying the games more because I can fast forward a bit through the crap play, and not get all frustrated etc when they screw up.

The forward group isn't good enough, they lack talent in key areas and the proper balance in skill's in key positions.

The defensive group lacks skill.

The goalies are all over the map, no consistency.

I really doubt this all gets worked out this season. Just relax and enjoy the hockey and quit banking your happiness on a cup or bust.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm not really commenting because I don't have anything new or constructive to say, but I'm not upset about the losses. For the opposite reason though. I have zero expectations for this team. Their record thus far is frankly better than they deserve, they are clearly worse than last year.

I do think it's pretty funny though that Burns currently leads all d-men league wide in points, and he's still getting trashed here, lol. Burns isn't perfect, but he's the one guy on the team who rolled into this season ready to go, him and Marleau maybe.

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying the games more because I can fast forward a bit through the crap play, and not get all frustrated etc when they screw up.

The forward group isn't good enough, they lack talent in key areas and the proper balance in skill's in key positions.

The defensive group lacks skill.

The goalies are all over the map, no consistency.

I really doubt this all gets worked out this season. Just relax and enjoy the hockey and quit banking your happiness on a cup or bust.

Wingels has been great and I personally think the goalies have been pretty good overall. I know the last two games weren't so great but I feel like they stunk more because of the defense than because of them. Yea, Stalock let some softies by but I'm confident that he can make the right adjustments to not let them happen again.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
It seems the 3rd is not a period we take seriously. Teams really amp up there offense our focus has to be great due to there pushing the pace. It seems we are not stepping up that period. We have to study what other teams are doing in order to have a better 3rd.

TM is not playing his 4th line that much. Early in the season, most coaches spread the minutes until things settle out. When the 4th line is restricted, the top 3 lines get more tired and therefore less effective in third periods. Right now, the only time he uses his 4th line in the third is when the game is already decided. Compared to other coaches, TM uses his 4th line less. It can be relative skill (DW's fault) or predilection by TM. It also doesn't bode well for cups as the teams that win tend to play their 4th lines more during the year.

TM is also underutilizing the Vlasic/Braun pairing.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I think given how grueling this road trip was, they did pretty ok.

But during the 4 minute PP,Tmac seemed like he was completely fed up of this team's lack of effort in the crucial moments.
I don't blame him. The team is in limbo right now.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Stop playing Hannan and Scott and we'll be okay.

John Scott?? Stop playing him and we'll be okay?? He gets a couple of minutes a game. Hannan is actually playing rather well. More than he should but well.
Maybe if Hertl, Nieto were doing more of what they did last season, we'd be doing better.
Back home again, not a horrible road trip, we should have some success.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
John Scott?? Stop playing him and we'll be okay?? He gets a couple of minutes a game. Hannan is actually playing rather well. More than he should but well.
Maybe if Hertl, Nieto were doing more of what they did last season, we'd be doing better.

That's a big problem. If the coaches don't trust a player or a line it puts a lot more stress and minutes on the other players.

Having to shorten your bench after the 1st period because you dressed a guy you can't play in a close game at the end of a 5 game road trip just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me in today's NHL.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
That's a big problem. If the coaches don't trust a player or a line it puts a lot more stress and minutes on the other players.

Having to shorten your bench after the 1st period because you dressed a guy you can't play in a close game at the end of a 5 game road trip just doesn't seem like a very good idea to me in today's NHL.

I can see your point BUT John Scott was never going to be out there in the third period for anything. You can say what you will about that being the reason for him not being signed in the first place but he has fulfilled his ROLE on this team so far.
Whether guys like him belong in the NHL isn't the point, these guys are here and here to stay.
We have viable NHL caliber players that are not playing right now. This is what we have.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I can see your point BUT John Scott was never going to be out there in the third period for anything. You can say what you will about that being the reason for him not being signed in the first place but he has fulfilled his ROLE on this team so far.
Whether guys like him belong in the NHL isn't the point, these guys are here and here to stay.
We have viable NHL caliber players that are not playing right now. This is what we have.

I don't understand what you mean here. Are you saying that they don't have better options than Scott right now? I know Tierney has had some ups and downs but it's fairly clear to me he's a far superior player to a few guys they played last night.

And no, John Scott will never play more than a few minutes in a close game which is why it's a bad idea to dress him since most games are close these days.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Hannan isn't playing well, he's a big reason why his pairing gets trapped in his own zone and Demers isn't good enough to carry him.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I don't understand what you mean here. Are you saying that they don't have better options than Scott right now? I know Tierney has had some ups and downs but it's fairly clear to me he's a far superior player to a few guys they played last night.

And no, John Scott will never play more than a few minutes in a close game which is why it's a bad idea to dress him since most games are close these days.

It's in my estimation that if Hertl, Nieto and a couple others were having the effect they should, we wouldn't worry about losing leads, fighting to come back and also worrying about John Scott and his vialbility as a player on this team.
I've been nicely surprised by Tierney as well and think he's superior to Scott, too.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I don't get the impression that the Sharks' staff and general manager have caught up to today's NHL yet.

I recognize that Todd may think he's in a tough spot because he's supposed to try to win and incorporate the youth. He's just not getting that those 2 should go hand in hand, especially considering how bad several of his options are. I really wish that Todd would just say **** it, and break free from the antiquated way in which coaches construct NHL lineups. I can't see that happening though. He's stubborn and foolish.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
It's in my estimation that if Hertl, Nieto and a couple others were having the effect they should, we wouldn't worry about losing leads, fighting to come back and also worrying about John Scott and his vialbility as a player on this team.
I've been nicely surprised by Tierney as well and think he's superior to Scott, too.

And I think think that line up decisions are having a poor effect throughout the lineup.

The Sharks have been essentially playing with 2 NHL caliber forward lines and 1.5 NHL caliber D pairings due to the way they're constructing their line up. I think that the 3rd & 4th lines as well as the 2nd & 3rd defense pairings were set up for failure from the start of the season and that the first line was going to struggle, though there's too much talent in that trio for them to be bad.

Granted, base on the personnel currently on the NHL roster they probably can't improve the 3rd d-pairing.

It's not surprising to me that the team is spending a lot of time in their own zone which is resulting is GA. Goaltending can only mask team issues for so long.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't get the impression that the Sharks' staff and general manager have caught up to today's NHL yet.

I recognize that Todd may think he's in a tough spot because he's supposed to try to win and incorporate the youth. He's just not getting that those 2 should go hand in hand, especially considering how bad several of his options are. I really wish that Todd would just say **** it, and break free from the antiquated way in which coaches construct NHL lineups. I can't see that happening though. He's stubborn and foolish.

Ah yes the enlightened fans must know more than the coach about his own team. No one complained last year when Hertl and Nieto played because the Sharks won and looked good. Now the Sharks are working in young players and not looking very good and have lost 2 regulation games and now he's stubborn and foolish.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Ah yes the enlightened fans must know more than the coach about his own team. No one complained last year when Hertl and Nieto played because the Sharks won and looked good. Now the Sharks are working in young players and not looking very good and have lost 2 regulation games and now he's stubborn and foolish.

This coaching staff is definitely stubborn. I don't think they're foolish though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad