GDT: Game #7 Sharks @ Bruins - Black Bear Diner Edition - 4:00 PM PDT CSN-CA KFOX

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Aren't NHL coaches hired to win?? The AHL is to teach and learn. That was always my understanding.

Absolutely, though I don't know what that has to do with them being stubborn. Most NHL coaches are a bit stubborn.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ah yes the enlightened fans must know more than the coach about his own team. No one complained last year when Hertl and Nieto played because the Sharks won and looked good. Now the Sharks are working in young players and not looking very good and have lost 2 regulation games and now he's stubborn and foolish.

My comments about Todd are not based on the last 2 games. I wouldn't have said anything if it didn't fit into a pattern.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Aren't NHL coaches hired to win?? The AHL is to teach and learn. That was always my understanding.

An NHL coach is hired to teach and learn just as much as they are to win. You don't succeed at the NHL level without incorporating youth that you have to teach and groom. This isn't the pre-cap era where you could separate the two if you could afford it. Teaching youth to play at this level with consistency is a requirement.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I would guess the same. If expectations were piled up on me, I'd play my most effective players all game if I could.

That's kind if my point.

I don't think the coaches are icing their most effective players (either actually playing them or usage) and not putting players in the best positions for success is compounding the issue.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
What a disappointing finish. Four minutes of PP to put us back in the game and we can't find the net? WTF? Where's the commitment? Where's the leadership?
I could handle the outcome, good or bad, if they just were consistant and giving it 100% for 60 minutes every night.
Man this team is frustrating...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What a disappointing finish. Four minutes of PP to put us back in the game and we can't find the net? WTF? Where's the commitment? Where's the leadership?
I could handle the outcome, good or bad, if they just were consistant and giving it 100% for 60 minutes every night.

Burns had 5 shots on that pp. Sometimes the opponent does the job and it isn't from a lack of effort.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Burns had 5 shots on that pp. Sometimes the opponent does the job and it isn't from a lack of effort.

Burns is proving to be a beast on the point with the shots. Nice to see Logan finally get on board. Our veterans are carrying us along so far. Let's hope the youngsters get past this road trip and start contributing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You act like they weren't trying in those four minutes. There is another team, and a good one at that, trying to prevent them from scoring and are very good at that.

Also, it is impossible for a team to give 100% for the entirety of the game every night. Absolutely impossible. They're humans. Not robots.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm kinda annoyed they just kept the 1st unit out the whole 4 minute PP. Hell, they probably should've pulled Niemi from the start of it instead of having an extra man on when the rest of the guys are absolutely gassed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whether they just got outplayed or did or didn't give their all it's still frustrating as hell...

You can expect more of the same. The group is pretty young, they pretty much have only two reliable forward lines, their bottom six is weak at this point, their blue line is of average skill level, and they have average goaltending. They will be a good but inconsistent team in the regular season with what they have now.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Burns is proving to be a beast on the point with the shots. Nice to see Logan finally get on board. Our veterans are carrying us along so far. Let's hope the youngsters get past this road trip and start contributing.

Burns' shot is needed from the point and the pp. He'll get about the same amount of points from there as he would if he were a forward.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm kinda annoyed they just kept the 1st unit out the whole 4 minute PP. Hell, they probably should've pulled Niemi from the start of it instead of having an extra man on when the rest of the guys are absolutely gassed.

Opposite for me. I didn't want them to pull Niemi at all, and just hope they could get it done 5v4 for 4 minutes.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Opposite for me. I didn't want them to pull Niemi at all, and just hope they could get it done 5v4 for 4 minutes.

Yeah, it seems sometimes the mentality goes from holding the zone and driving shots towards the net, to protecting against an empty netter. Maybe that's just my perception, but I don't see it work out much.

Maybe they should have just put Stalock out there at the redline? :sarcasm: sorta

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Burns' shot is needed from the point and the pp. He'll get about the same amount of points from there as he would if he were a forward.

Didn't he usually play the point on PP even when he was a forward last year? Your are right that it is likely the best place for him.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Definitely was not an effort issue last night. They emptied the tanks but the execution is simply not there at times.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
OT: Do you guys think DW will try to sign Tikhonov next year? He should be a UFA and he has SJ ties.

Why do we need more bottom 6 forwards? He never worked out well in PHX and that may be due to Gretzky and the ownership group then, but I don't think he can make an impact at this level. He's paid well in Russia and is a star. That all said, I know first hand that his wife (who is a friend of mine) wasn't thrilled about going back to Russia. Maybe thats changed now that they're settled with a family though. If it did in fact happen that we signed him, I'd be thrilled because I could finally say I actually KNOW a Shark :D

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Why do we need more bottom 6 forwards? He never worked out well in PHX and that may be due to Gretzky and the ownership group then, but I don't think he can make an impact at this level. He's paid well in Russia and is a star. That all said, I know first hand that his wife (who is a friend of mine) wasn't thrilled about going back to Russia. Maybe thats changed now that they're settled with a family though. If it did in fact happen that we signed him, I'd be thrilled because I could finally say I actually KNOW a Shark :D

Well...by default, he'd probably be better than our 4th line. No guarantee that Sheppard signs here either. Also Torres health concerns continue. Who knows how well he's gonna be able to skate without the ACL. That's about it.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Well...by default, he'd probably be better than our 4th line. No guarantee that Sheppard signs here either. Also Torres health concerns continue. Who knows how well he's gonna be able to skate without the ACL. That's about it.

I see. Well then yeah, I still doubt he comes back to play 4th line minutes when he's playing top 6 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad