Pre-Game Talk: Game 7 pre game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Well in the outside world I am just stressed med student from Central Europe whose ankle injury forced him to let steam off in another way because I need to recover for the next floorball season.

We all have stories to tell.
Good luck with your studies, my daughter is an internist, know how trying med school is. And good luck to your Canes!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This game will depend on the start. We have to come out 100%. Not spotting them 2+ goals in the first. Take the crowd out of it.

I believe special teams will ultimately decide Game 7. We HAVE to take advantage of any PP's we are given.

I think both of those things are critical, but they are Nos. 3/4 on my list of keys for Game 7.

No. 2 is matchups. I think the reason the home team has won every game of this series is that the Canes rely on matchups to beat Washington. When the Caps get the matchups they want, we just can't hang with them. Roddy and the boys are going to have to fight hard to overcome the lack of last change and get the matchups they want.

And No. 1 is Petr Mrazek. End of story. We need Petr to steal one. He's got to be the best player on the ice if we're going to win this game.

And No. 5, since there's no such thing as a top four list, is us. We all need to wear the same shirts we did yesterday.

The Carolina Hurricanes are also 4-0 in Game 7s since moving to Raleigh. 2-0 at home, 2-0 on the road

The Caps are 5-10 in Game 7s all time, 3-7 at home and 2-3 on the road.

The Canes have actually won three of the last four games in the series. I prefer that way of looking at it as opposed to the home team winning every game.

Brutal series , I love the old school hate. Whichever team advances to the second round are going to have some bad times with the Islanders.

Another list of five. My top 5 borderline plays in this series:

5. Ovechkin's elbow on McGinn. Not as bad as we made it out to be, but he clearly left his feet and clearly finished high. Probably a two-minute minor, as called, but it's aggravating that Ovie gets the benefit of the doubt on hits like these, which leads to move hits like these from Ovie.

4. Fleury's high cross-check on Oshie. Many caveats here, primarily that it wasn't very hard at all and Oshie sold it a bit, but also that Fleury clearly didn't intend anything, and it only ended up looking bad because a) he missed Oshie's shoulder and got him higher, and b) Oshie sold it hard.

3. Hamilton's elbow on Kuznetsov. A bad play, but at least a hockey play. A true borderline hit, because it was probably somewhere between a minor and major. I think the NHL decided he just plain didn't hit him very hard, otherwise, probably a suspension.

2. Orpik trying to castrate Martinook. Didn't even get called. I'd consider a suspension for stuff like this because it is not a "hockey play." Other "heat of battle" stuff is going to happen, but there's no room for this in the game. Talk about "intent to injure," there is literally *no* other reason to do this, other than to injure a guy. Should have at least been a fine, but I'd have given him one game.

1. Foegele's cross-check to Oshie. Yeah, yeah, it was a tap. But it was a bad hit, in a dangerous area. IMO, he should have gotten a game for it.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
you just have to love a guy like Martinook.

I was bummed when they only signed him for two years--others don't consider him a core player, but I think he has a core role on the team given all that he does every game. I hope he is healthy and re-signs to defend the Cup in 2021.

Reactions: zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I was bummed when they only signed him for two years--others don't consider him a core player, but I think he has a core role on the team given all that he does every game. I hope he is healthy and re-signs to defend the Cup in 2021.
He's a great depth player, with potential to get regular play on the 2nd line eventually. He has a valuable role to play on this team in his spot that others don't. I consider him a part of the core (Aho, TT, Svech, Necas, Foegs, Martinook, Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, DeHaan) moving forward.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Happy they pushed it to 7 games. There's honor in forcing the Cup champs to the full length series, even more in defending home ice. Icing on the cake of a wildly successful season.

Now beat the Faps in game 7 so I can dump a couple hundred quid at Kinko's photocopying giant cutouts of John Tavares' face.

distractions-in-college-1.jpg

[but with John Tavares]

[holy shit i just realized I'm in this picture]

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seems like there are far more instances of signing depth players for too long and too much than there are of ones that you didn't sign long enough. If he's still a good player then, we'll likely re-sign him no problems.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

5. Ovechkin's elbow on McGinn. Not as bad as we made it out to be, but he clearly left his feet and clearly finished high. Probably a two-minute minor, as called, but it's aggravating that Ovie gets the benefit of the doubt on hits like these, which leads to move hits like these from Ovie.

4. Fleury's high cross-check on Oshie. Many caveats here, primarily that it wasn't very hard at all and Oshie sold it a bit, but also that Fleury clearly didn't intend anything, and it only ended up looking bad because a) he missed Oshie's shoulder and got him higher, and b) Oshie sold it hard.

3. Hamilton's elbow on Kuznetsov. A bad play, but at least a hockey play. A true borderline hit, because it was probably somewhere between a minor and major. I think the NHL decided he just plain didn't hit him very hard, otherwise, probably a suspension.

2. Orpik trying to castrate Martinook. Didn't even get called. I'd consider a suspension for stuff like this because it is not a "hockey play." Other "heat of battle" stuff is going to happen, but there's no room for this in the game. Talk about "intent to injure," there is literally *no* other reason to do this, other than to injure a guy. Should have at least been a fine, but I'd have given him one game.

1. Foegele's cross-check to Oshie. Yeah, yeah, it was a tap. But it was a bad hit, in a dangerous area. IMO, he should have gotten a game for it.

Missing the Slew foot which had a heck of a lot more intent to hurt someone than the "cross-tap" that Oshie sold and got hurt selling it. Or how about the defenseman who took an obvious stick swing at Justin Williams, it was high too. I guess it is lower because it didnt connect.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Missing the Slew foot which had a heck of a lot more intent to hurt someone than the "cross-tap" that Oshie sold and got hurt selling it. Or how about the defenseman who took an obvious stick swing at Justin Williams, it was high too. I guess it is lower because it didnt connect.

Man, between the Orlov swing and the Ovi slash last night, it is a little interesting to see that team using their sticks like hatchets after solemnly lecturing the media about how players have to take responsibility for player safety after Game 4.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Man, between the Orlov swing and the Ovi slash last night, it is a little interesting to see that team using their sticks like hatchets after solemnly lecturing the media about how players have to take responsibility for player safety after Game 4.

As Hank noted, Ovi's slash was to the pants, where he knew there was plenty of padding. Yes, it was violent. Yes, it was a penalty. But there was no intent to injure there.

As for the slew foot, it wasn't a "textbook" slew foot. It was a guy kicking the foot out from under another guy. A true slew foot happens when the guys are engaged and there's a "top half" to it as well as a bottom half, almost like a body slam. And again, neither of these led to injuries, or even came particularly close. They are clearly "dis-honorable mentions" on the list.

And yes, I think it goes without saying that "attempted slashing" in Orlov's case, is not a penalty.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think of Count Orlok any time Orlov gets mentioned.

latest

Also don't try to convince me this isn't Ovechkin in an old issue of the Uncanny X-Men.

Dracula.jpg

Is good thing there is lot of stake in Game 7.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
As Hank noted, Ovi's slash was to the pants, where he knew there was plenty of padding. Yes, it was violent. Yes, it was a penalty. But there was no intent to injure there.

As for the slew foot, it wasn't a "textbook" slew foot. It was a guy kicking the foot out from under another guy. A true slew foot happens when the guys are engaged and there's a "top half" to it as well as a bottom half, almost like a body slam. And again, neither of these led to injuries, or even came particularly close. They are clearly "dis-honorable mentions" on the list.

And yes, I think it goes without saying that "attempted slashing" in Orlov's case, is not a penalty.
He kicked his foot out from under him and immediately followed it with a elbow to the chest to make him fall backwards and slam his head on the ice.

Rule 52 – Slew-footing
52.1 Slew-footing – Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

That play was in fact textbook slew footing.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
What are ya'lls thoughts about a possible Svech return? If he gets the all clear from the doctors today, would you insert him into the lineup or go with the same line up from last night?

Our biggest issue is going to be getting the match ups that we are able to get at home.

Whatever happens, the boys exceeded my expectations for this year. If you told me at the start of the year that we would take the Caps to 7 games in the first round i wouldn't have believed you, but here we are. For once, I actually love this team again. I love the culture change that Brindy/Williams did. It was much needed. We have a lot to be excited about. The future is bright with this team.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Nah. That was a slew foot. Watch it again. There was elbow motion and foot motion.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Hey hey hey... we ran Ward and Staal into the ground because we didnt put any talent around them

I'm seriously asking, how are you drawing this comparison? Where is this mental meltdown coming from?

He kicked his foot out from under him and immediately followed it with a elbow to the chest to make him fall backwards and slam his head on the ice.

Rule 52 – Slew-footing
52.1 Slew-footing – Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

That play was in fact textbook slew footing.

Nah. That was a slew foot. Watch it again. There was elbow motion and foot motion.

I watched it again, and you guys were right. It was worse and more dangerous than I thought, but there still wasn't a whole lot up top and I still don't think it was suspension-worthy. I'd put it at No. 4 on my list, bumping Fleury down to No. 5 and Ovechkin to a dis-honorable mention. Maenalanen took most of the impact in his butt. The reason a textbook slew foot is so dangerous is that a player will land on his back, then his head. Maenalanen's head took very little of the impact.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I watched it again, and you guys were right. It was worse and more dangerous than I thought, but there still wasn't a whole lot up top and I still don't think it was suspension-worthy. I'd put it at No. 4 on my list, bumping Fleury down to No. 5 and Ovechkin to a dis-honorable mention. Maenalanen took most of the impact in his butt. The reason a textbook slew foot is so dangerous is that a player will land on his back, then his head. Maenalanen's head took very little of the impact.

Agreed. Not for lack of trying, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad