GDT: [Game #7] Dallas Stars vs. Vegas Golden Knights - 7:30 PM CT (BS-SW)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He is still a great coach and better than anything Dallas has. Miro is a young Lidstrom.

There is a reason he isn't coaching in the NHL right now.

And let's calm down about that. Miro is fantastic but he's still quite a ways from being compared to a top 3 defender of all time.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I still don’t know why we signed Comeau, Raffl, and Glen. I’ve liked the latter two so far. Comeau is a waste of a roster spot.

Because out fourth line with Caamano , Gardner , Kero and L'Esperance and all the others sucked and for pennies Raffle , Glendening etc is the best you get. We spend out money on Suter replacing Oleksiak.

Comeau re-signing made sense since they needed another forward to expose in the expansion draft and he was the best out of the grinders by far.

Worst part is those are guy actually scoring and scoring more than expected. They're not the problem. The problem are the guys who are expected to score and especially those who are paid big money.

Last edited:

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
so are the coaches literally telling the players, 'ok, let's dial back the pressure and play it safe?' or is the team just of that mindset? score effects are a thing league wide, so i can't imagine it's isolated to the stars. (although it seems stronger)

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The team has to use Benn and Seguin less. They are not playing well

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
One thing about those charts I don’t really care for is that it discounts the effort put in to gain the lead. It’s like asking why they dominated only half the game and not the whole game. The other team is trying to win too.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
One thing about those charts I don’t really care for is that it discounts the effort put in to gain the lead. It’s like asking why they dominated only half the game and not the whole game. The other team is trying to win too.

Sure but it has been evident how often it is that Benn and Seguin are out there when the opposing team has dominant long shifts. It started right from the Rangers game . Benn and Seguin get hemmed in regularly . Other players less so.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
so are the coaches literally telling the players, 'ok, let's dial back the pressure and play it safe?' or is the team just of that mindset? score effects are a thing league wide, so i can't imagine it's isolated to the stars. (although it seems stronger)

Quite the opposite, if you sit behind the bench you'll see the coaches encouraging the players to not sit back and keep attacking, but it doesn't help much. No one person wants to be responsible for giving up the lead, so they all are a little safer which builds on itself and becomes an emergent phenomenon of the entire team turtling.

Since I've never seen a team that can consistently avoid sitting on a lead (except by massively outskilling their opponent), I'm pretty sure all known coaching methods are up against an impossible wall built by human psychology.

Reactions: Bfantz

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Just watched the end of the 1st from last nights game to get a laugh. You can see Segs yell “f***ed up” and then mouth something else and again “that’s f***ed up”.

Like others have said even though we lost, playing that style of hockey we did for a lot of the game we would win more games, we have the talent to carry the puck in rather than just dump and chase. Just cause we have good defense and a surprise in Holtby we can’t expect to just aim for 2 maybe 3 goals, turtle if we have or get a lead and expect not to have to fight for a wildcard spot. It’s great to have a solid defensive game come postseason but that’s if you get there. This dump and chase game with an older team just looks like… well I guess a dinosaur is coaching the team.

There will be nights where posts are hit, we face a goaltender on his game and pucks just won’t go in but they will if continue on trying to score. Hopefully that was a bit of a wake up (it won’t be) that we need to push the opposing team with some offense.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Quite the opposite, if you sit behind the bench you'll see the coaches encouraging the players to not sit back and keep attacking, but it doesn't help much. No one person wants to be responsible for giving up the lead, so they all are a little safer which builds on itself and becomes an emergent phenomenon of the entire team turtling.

Since I've never seen a team that can consistently avoid sitting on a lead (except by massively outskilling their opponent), I'm pretty sure all known coaching methods are up against an impossible wall built by human psychology.
I think it comes down to the difference of desperation from the team that’s down . Both teams are trying to keep attacking but one team is desperate and doesn’t care about the repercussions of there actions and one team thinks they don’t but almost subconsciously cannot take the risks .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad