GDT: Game 7: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 10/20 7PM EDT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The only reason the players are sticking up for HCTR is because they don't want a new coach that will make them work.

Ridiculous. I swear you haven't made a positive post about the Blue Jackets in years. I remember when you used to post the pickles after we scored goals. What happened?

Anyway, to address your statement. The players are saying this about TR because they know their asses are the ones causing these losses and TR is going to take the fall for it. How would you feel? They'll realize how sweet they had it if they actually get a hardass coach to replace him. But until then, most of these guys have only played for one or two coaches. They don't know shit.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The only reason the players are sticking up for HCTR is because they don't want a new coach that will make them work.

Not really, every NHL player works.... They are afraid if TR or Kek get fired it may expose them as not being NHL worthy....

Based on this season the CBJ are not well coached or managed, this is a fact.... If the HC or GM is fired all of their bad choices might be fired too.... hence, keep the coach and GM.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Bob Hunter joining in on the Dispatch's wall-to-wall coverage of 0-and-ghazi

[URL="http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/10/21/1021-hunter-column.html]http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/10/21/1021-hunter-column.html[/URL]

Firing a coach is one way for management to show the fans it wants to win, but a better way to do that is to make sure the coach really was the problem. If Richards isn’t the problem — and a lot of people thought he was a pretty good coach last spring — then you had better replace him with a better coach when he is fired.

The Blue Jackets once fired a Hall of Fame coach supposedly because he had trouble coaching the team’s younger players. Good management might have supported Ken Hitchcock and shown the young players who didn’t like his methods the way to the American Hockey League, sending a message to current and future prima donnas that they weren’t the ones in charge.

Instead, the Jackets hired a guy in Scott Arniel, who had never been an NHL coach, and fired him less than two seasons later.

That’s why it pays to be careful.

Sometimes, the best moves are the ones you don’t make.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Bob Hunter joining in on the Dispatch's wall-to-wall coverage of 0-and-ghazi

[URL="http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/10/21/1021-hunter-column.html]http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/10/21/1021-hunter-column.html[/URL]

I say BS.... Hunter is a CBJ patsy.... The Jackets have sucked for 15 years and he's supporting another decade of suck.... Typical Columbus Sport Columnist..

zelbell

Oct 6, 2014
Columbus
Not sure where to post this

@Aportzline: Source tonight suggested #CBJ and #NJDevils could be trade partners. D Adam Larsson likely #CBJ target; RW Cam Atkinson part of #CBJ package

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
First game I've seen live this year. It's really the only way I can get a feel for how someone is playing.

The guys played ok defensively. But offensively, outside of JJ and Dubi, they were so tentative. Reminded me of when I'm standing on a tee of a 450 yard par 4 with water on the left and OB on the right!

The old adage of "holding the stick too tight" seems to me to be an apt description of the evening's offensive fare. Fear destroys creativity in most endeavors; hockey offense is no different. JJ and Dubi seemed to be only ones who were free wheeling it. Everyone else-especially the dmen-seemed to not want the puck.

I've been a hard core CBJ fan for only about 4 years, so my experience with the franchise has been a pretty much upward trajectory. For those who have been with the team since the beginning years, this season has got to be a mega gut punch. It's almost inconceivable how short of expectations this team has performed.

While it was good to be back in NWA, the most positive moment of the evening for me was finding a PB&J sandwich in one of the concessions stores which allowed for me to keep within the parameters of my diet:laugh:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
i have gamecenter live and late at night i watch games. I watched this game and came away surprised. Ryan Johansen is so talented, but the dude literally puts in no effort. Dubinsky was easily my favorite player as well as David Savard. At least it looked like they cared.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
pipe dream imo

Probably. However, same thing would probably have been said about Saad+ for Dano+ as well.

I think the Jackets would have to sweeten the deal with more than just Atkinson. However, Atkinson to the Devils just keeps coming up. When it comes up for this long and this number of times, I start to pay more attention.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
pipe dream imo
It said Atkinson part of the package. Devils could be asking for Atkinson + Wennberg + 1 of Bjorstrand/Milano/Rychel/1st or Atkinson + 2 of Bjorstrand/Milano/Rychel/1st

At that point, that's a pretty good offer for the Devils. I wouldn't be thrilled if Jarmo panics and makes that type of trade. Larsson is good but with that offer, would want a better player.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Probably. However, same thing would probably have been said about Saad+ for Dano+ as well.

I think the Jackets would have to sweeten the deal with more than just Atkinson. However, Atkinson to the Devils just keeps coming up. When it comes up for this long and this number of times, I start to pay more attention.
Unless Shero is a Penguins sleeper agent, there's no way in hell that it's Larsson for Atkinson straight up.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It said Atkinson part of the package. Devils could be asking for Atkinson + Wennberg + 1 of Bjorstrand/Milano/Rychel/1st or Atkinson + 2 of Bjorstrand/Milano/Rychel/1st

At that point, that's a pretty good offer for the Devils. I wouldn't be thrilled if Jarmo panics and makes that type of trade. Larsson is good but with that offer, would want a better player.

Bob McKenzie said the CBJ were unwilling to listen to anything involving Werenski or Wennberg. IDK if its truthful or whatever, but thats what he said on Insider Trading

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The New York Islanders beat the Blue Jackets 4-0 at Nationwide Arena on Tuesday night to drop Columbus to 0-7-0. The Blue Jackets are the first team since the 1997-98 Chicago Blackhawks to start the year with such a low marker. That Blackhawks team finished 30-39-13 with 73 points.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-straight-in-loss-to-islanders-023349878.html

18 years and approximately 30 teams per season competing. Roughly a 1 in 500 "accomplishment". A 0.2% chance of happening.

Who was the head coach for Chicago that year (he was not fired after starting 0-7)? Hint: Richards' possible replacement. Holy guacamole!

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
We can't trade a pivotal part of our offense like Wennberg can we? :-(

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
We can't trade a pivotal part of our offense like Wennberg can we? :-(

It's ridiculous. The kid's a surefire HOFer no doubt. LOL

It's also the second straight season in which Jarmo has fiddled while Rome has burned. Perhaps the raw extent of the injuries last season earned him a pass on his inaction, but there is no excuse this season. The ship is sinking and management has done nothing once again.

The Jackets have been losing preciously earned good will among its fan base while its chief executives haven't responded in times of challenge. Perhaps Jarmo and JD have mistaken the CBJ for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Earth to the Scout and the Broadcaster: This is a young and not very successful franchise which has been losing money for years whose revenues rank at the very bottom of the league.

If a Wennberg is an untouchable, then it's pretty clear that Jarmo doesn't have the wherewithal to address the defensive deficiencies on this squad.

Jarmo E. Neuman.

Last edited:

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Considering Joey's current input, trading him wouldn't weaken the offense at all but the possible haul coming back could vastly improve the defense. One can dream right?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Considering Joey's current input, trading him wouldn't weaken the offense at all but the possible haul coming back could vastly improve the defense. One can dream right?

Yeah. Let's get rid of our #1C, who despite not playing at the top of his game, has been involved in 6 of the team's 13 goals (46%).

Brilliant idea:amazed:

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This team took six defensemen in the draft this year, including two 1st-rounders.

No way in hell would I make a move involving Johansen for help on the back end, unless there's a real compelling reason to do so.
Well then accept the fact that Joey will get smth like 8x8.5
Regressing is tricky thing, even our Getz started to regress, and he is called top tier C who is carrying 8+ mil cap hit.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-straight-in-loss-to-islanders-023349878.html

18 years and approximately 30 teams per season competing. Roughly a 1 in 500 "accomplishment". A 0.2% chance of happening.

Who was the head coach for Chicago that year (he was not fired after starting 0-7)? Hint: Richards' possible replacement. Holy guacamole!

IIRC, those were the odds Michigan State faced on the last play against Michigan. So its possible. However I will take the under in this case.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Here's how it is - the CBJ have WAY too much money already tied up in forwards for the foreseeable future, and not enough tied up in defense. In order to spend money on the defense, money must be freed up from someone on the forward corps. Throwing 8 to 9 million on Joey, and also trying to upgrade the defense, is just not going to be feasible going forward.

We are also not going to be able to throw out a defense next year that includes Werenski, Heatherington, Madaisky, and Paliotta and expect to win NHL games.

Where do people suggest the money becoming available otherwise? (And Bourque coming off the books isn't an acceptable answer.)

From the how to fix the D thread:

Trading Cam for a pick at the deadline - frees up 3.5
Buyout Boll and Campbell -saves 2 million of cap
That brings the available cap up to 9.5 to 11 million.
Ship out either Tyutin or JJ at the deadline for picks - frees up another 4 plus and would give us a ton to spend on a top UFA or 2 when added to the money that would be freed up by the above moves.

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of top pair D men to be had in free agency. However it would give us flexibility to take a run at Spurgeon or Russell if they make it to free agency. Maybe Krug? Also would allow space to take on salary in a trade. I believe we can find the $ if we are willing to do the above.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

To be fair to Hartsburg that team wasn't that good and Hawks were already in steep decline thanks to Wirtz dumping or letting walk high priced talent

Team was actually ok in net and defensively (Finished top 10) but offensively they had nothing and were essentially a one line team. Beyond Zhamnov , Amonte and Daze they had nothing offensively. Infact team was on decline the year before as well finishing under .500 and barely making playoffs

95-96 Hartsburg Hawks (Last legit contending Hawk team of 90's) had roster depth of

Chelios + Roenick + Suter + Amonte + Nicholls + Daze + Murphy + Savard + Craven + Probert + Weinrich + Carney with Belfour/Hackett in net

97-98 Blackhawks for comparable depth

Chelios + Amonte + Zhamnov + Daze + Suter + Weinrich + Carney + Johnson (Greg) + Shantz + Krivokrasov + Dubinsky + Leroux + Laflamme with Hackett/Terreri in net

Hartsburg wasn't terrible coach for Hawks IMO , Ended up getting pretty raw deal honestly as team was being dismantled by Wirtz after his 1st season as coach. He isn't worst option to fill out Jackets season as interim coach

Tony Quinn

May 20, 2014
Why would NJ trade Larsson unless they were blown away with an offer and the CBJ do not seem like they want to part with much, if any, young talent.

Dead weight like Atkinson and Calvert is not going to get a guy like Larsson. If a deal like Atkinson, Calvert, Karlson, and a#1 could get Adam Larsson, I think that deal would have been done yesterday. I'm sure they want Atkinson, Bjork/Rychel, and a #1 and I would have serious reservations about that kind of deal too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad