GDT: Game 7: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 10/20 7PM EDT

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Here's how it is - the CBJ have WAY too much money already tied up in forwards for the foreseeable future, and not enough tied up in defense. In order to spend money on the defense, money must be freed up from someone on the forward corps. Throwing 8 to 9 million on Joey, and also trying to upgrade the defense, is just not going to be feasible going forward.

We are also not going to be able to throw out a defense next year that includes Werenski, Heatherington, Madaisky, and Paliotta and expect to win NHL games.

Where do people suggest the money becoming available otherwise? (And Bourque coming off the books isn't an acceptable answer.)

That's what's really depressing. We have an awful lot of money tied up over the next 4 or 5 years for players who have been at best mediocre so far this year. It's going to be hard to trade these contracts to upgrade or get draft picks.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Agreed. I think Joey might thrive on a team where he doesn't need to be the man (sound familiar?), and with him gone, it's a scoring by committee approach and hope some of the youngsters turn out to be good. The D is just so awful, it has to be fixed pronto.

It does sound familiar, but wouldn't it be continuing an endless loop? At some point our young guys have to become the skilled vets that lead and finish. I hate to say it, but I think the best thing to do is to bring in torts. Trades and a new GM are not happening, so why not shake it up? Everyone can part ways when his Vancouver contract is up; in the meantime we are a mickey mouse organ-i-station. Torts is closest we've had to a Hitch and I'm still not sure why we let him go.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Anyone know the record for most regulation losses to start a season? The Jackets have a good chance at making some history, how close are they?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Anyone know the record for most regulation losses to start a season? The Jackets have a good chance at making some history, how close are they?
11 - one of the Rangers squads during WWII that was missing players due to the war.

Which, if we keep pace, would make the losses for our club that much more terrible.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

1943-44 New York Rangers lost 11 straight to start the season, then tied one, then lost three more. Their record after 15 games was 0-14-1, en route to a 6-39-5 season.

The league was so depleted that out of the Rangers' top 11 scorers, only 4 were actual NHL players; the rest were wartime guys who got a shot. And the caliber of play was so bad that 42-year-old coach Frank Boucher came out of a six-year retirement and scored 14 points in 15 games.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
id keep joey because i can't bear to see what he'll become on another team, like sequin!

He really is something special and i wouldn't even think about it unless a guaranteed #1 D guy on a playoff team is coming back, and those just aren't for sale.

I would keep:

saad - johan - jenner
foligno - dubinsky - rychel
hartnell - wennberg - atkinson
calvert - campbell - clarkson

(i like those lines, but some combo of them)

and:

murray
tyutin
savard

I like johnson but after a while the stats are probably telling us something about how bad he is.

some combo of bourque karlsson and johnson should return a top 4 d man? I guess its no good when your center piece is another d-man, but I would still offer atkinson and calvert and maybe wennberg before the other ppl listed above. I think they need better coaching they looks borderline special ed out there half the time.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I give up, I'll watch every game like a moron and use all my tickets because who the hell would actually want them, but this is as depressing a season as there ever has been. I drank the Kool-Aid, thought we were going to the Cup Finals. I don't know that I've ever seen a slower team, the whole team is garbage. I feel for Richards, they didn't upgrade the D and he's stuck with a bunch of 5-6ers at best. Joey is garbage, I don't care what any of you say, he's playing like absolute shit. Foligno isn't worty of the C, he's lost out there. We have nobody. I don't see any reason we won't break the all-time NHL record for losses to start the season.

I like to read Your energizing comments before long working day:) I can't be depressed after it! :laugh: ( Thanks) United we stand

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Last post on Torts in this thread.... We all know Torts is a hot head, actually, a person not suited for the Mid Western easy going way of life in Columbus... If Torts is hired buckle up, we won't make the SC finals but we will make the playoffs and win.... No prisoners under Torts, it will be fun for Columbus.. The players will play or be benched..

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
id keep joey because i can't bear to see what he'll become on another team, like sequin!

He really is something special and i wouldn't even think about it unless a guaranteed #1 D guy on a playoff team is coming back, and those just aren't for sale.

I would keep:

saad - johan - jenner
foligno - dubinsky - rychel
hartnell - wennberg - atkinson
calvert - campbell - clarkson

(i like those lines, but some combo of them)

and:

murray
tyutin
savard

I like johnson but after a while the stats are probably telling us something about how bad he is.

some combo of bourque karlsson and johnson should return a top 4 d man? I guess its no good when your center piece is another d-man, but I would still offer atkinson and calvert and maybe wennberg before the other ppl listed above. I think they need better coaching they looks borderline special ed out there half the time.

I'd like to see Jenner play center, Cam back in and Campbell in the press box

Letestu to Campbell for a 4th line center has been like going from a hero to a 0

Wennberg can center the 4th line and this would give us our best chance at having 4 legit lines

Campbell sucks!

Saad---RJ----Folingo
Rychel---Dubi--Cam
Hartnell--Jenner--Clarkson
Bourque----Wennberg--Calvert

Last edited:

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
At this rate we'll have a shiny new 1st line Center at the beginning of next year in Auston Matthews, so Johansen better pick it up.

thebus2288*

Probably the easiest shutout Halak ever had. Every damn shot right into the crest.

Nearly all the games this year have gone this way.

Johansen doesn't care.

Again, this is a game in and game out problem.

Would have been nice to have Atkinson down 1-0 with 10 to go in the 3rd. I get that we are looking to trade but shit man we were 0-6-0 coming into tonight.

Makes no sense to scratch 1 of your best goal scorers. There's at least a couple guys who should sit before him because of pure talent level/impact and a couple more who should have sat before him because of how they are playing.

Tough break for Cody on that 2nd goal, he had played well prior to that.

Prout yet again proved to be a liability, on 3rd goal was chasing the play back up the ice, had a great view of the goal.

Haha I wanted to quote a BUNCH of you. Can count on 1 hand the amount of people who have criticized Golobeuf for that pass, while MANY still continue to blast Prout. That pass was as bad or worse than anything Prout has done all year. Not to mention the timing of it.

I would put Johanson on the table to start talks for a top tier defenseman. But I would do that AFTER my new coach said it was necessary.

If I were Jarmo I'd dangle Joey as trade bait. The kid just doesn't seem to care - I don't know if that will ever change. If the Jackets could get a legit d-man and solid prospects/picks in return, maybe you pull the trigger.

Glad that people are starting to look at this as an actual option. You have to give to get.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Last post on Torts in this thread.... We all know Torts is a hot head, actually, a person not suited for the Mid Western easy going way of life in Columbus... If Torts is hired buckle up, we won't make the SC finals but we will make the playoffs and win.... No prisoners under Torts, it will be fun for Columbus.. The players will play or be benched..
I'm of the mind that fans have been begging for a coach who holds his players accountable for a very long time. If he ends up walking the walk, and the wins follow, Torts will be a very popular coach in the beginning.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
The country club meme of this team, this organization couldn't be any more spot on.

Cushy private jet, world class golf, great family town, and a media that is a complete lapdog of the organization, and fans that show up and dish out their checks all contribute to the lax environment.

I'd like to see Jenner play center, Cam back in and Campbell in the press box

Letestu to Campbell for a 4th line center has been like going from a hero to a 0

Wennberg can center the 4th line and this would give us our best chance at having 4 legit lines

Campbell sucks!

Saad---RJ----Folingo
Rychel---Dubi--Cam
Hartnell--Jenner--Clarkson
Bourque----Wennberg--Calvert

yeah letestu is missed :( he was the bossest of all fourth liners. seriously though, he was...

i dunno about campbell I think he's gonna warm up and play like he did in boston. He's also a fighter in case boll is sitting (I guess there's clarkson and bourque are too, sorta) - but he is also a PK guy and the PK sucked last year.

cam has won me over with his relentlessness. he'd be good with a less bozo system. Didn't realize he was benched ... he's getting singled out because richards is a clown as far as I can tell ... no worse than anyone else so far this yr.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Players going to bat for Richards.

Check the history.... players always support their coach... It's a fake world in the public press, the players probably think TR is a dolt but will never say it.

This is why we have General Managers..... people who should know the sport and make moves outside of the press..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad