Post-Game Talk: Game 7: Canucks 3, Flyers 2 - Raffl-copter Edition

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i'd like to see the sedins split up for the duration of the roadtrip. it balances the scoring out. kesler/hank/higgins. danny sedin+santorelli+booth. ( don't like putting hansen in there.) sants and boots have chemistry.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I know Hank with Kesler and Higgins is what sparked the team to a win tonight but I'd rather they not continue with that. In my mind, loading up the top 2 centers on one line is no better than having the twins together. Hank is the guy who will make anyone he plays with better, so I think the team would be best off if they have him centre his own line and have Daniel with Kesler on the 2nd line.

When Burrows is healthy I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Burrows - H. Sedin - Kassian
D. Sedin - Kesler - Higgins
Santorelli - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Richardson - Weise

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I thought we looked bad and the system confuses me with the roster we have. Still tried hard all game and never gave up and eventually ground out a win, good fight. Scored a couple when we went to slot, need Burrow back.

The team looks no better than it did in its losses. SJ would have killed us again.

Not skilled enough to be a passing team, not big enough to be a grinding team, not a threat on the rush. Can someone tell me what kind of team we are?

I think the main improvement was that we stuck with the system for the most part and kept battling. Methinks it'll still be a while before they get the system down and really start executing it to a tee without hesitating or having to think.

But as a speedy two-way team the concept of an aggressive forechecking team that pressures you all over the ice isn't unreasonable to me. That's what our identity is and I think the personnel suit that too.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I know Hank with Kesler and Higgins is what sparked the team to a win tonight but I'd rather they not continue with that. In my mind, loading up the top 2 centers on one line is no better than having the twins together. Hank is the guy who will make anyone he plays with better, so I think the team would be best off if they have him centre his own line and have Daniel with Kesler on the 2nd line.

When Burrows is healthy I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Burrows - H. Sedin - Kassian
D. Sedin - Kesler - Higgins
Santorelli - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Richardson - Weise

I would rather go

Higgins - Henrik - Kassian
Daniel - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder - Hansen
Santorelli - Richardson - Weise

Daniel and Burrows would provide Kesler with two playmaking outlets while making that line formidable defensively. Meanwhile, Higgins aggressive forecheck and grinder tendencies compliment Kassian's style and both benefit from an elite playmaker. Leaving that third line as an offensive menace by way of speed.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I had a dream last night that Lionel Messi signed with the Canucks, Complete "what the ****?" type of dream.

Glad to see Higgins potting one in, he deserved one. Keep the lines as it is for now! Loved seeing Kesler with Henrik!

Anyways, caught this game on PVR. Thought the Canucks played fairly well, but man, the Flyers made a colossal mistake trading away Carter and Richards (in hindsight). At least the team back then would make it into the 2nd/3rd round, but now? Yikes. Holmgrem made some smart moves, but not getting a capable starter, and losing Pronger (and not getting Weber) really hurt that franchise.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
I'm so conflicted on my feelings of this team so far. I see a lot of improvements and a lot of signs for hope, but there's some concerns as well.

First of all, I'll start off by saying that the losses to San Jose don't bother me very much, because San Jose is doing it to literally everyone they play right now. I think you write those off as running into an absolute brick wall. Then you look at our other loss against the Habs and it was probably a game we deserved to win. It happens, I guess.

I really do like Torts system. I like the fact that the team hasn't seemed to pack it in when getting behind like they were known to do so often under AV in his final year and a half here. Under Torts we have (for the most part) continued to chip away. It's a good sign.

The Twins (Henrik especially) have driven the team thus far. They look rejuvenated to play in a system that is built around an aggressive, attacking style of play. No complaints.

I've been impressed with parts of our D. Edler for the most part looks better than he did at the end of AV, Garrison has been fantastic, Tanev looks steady as ever, Bieksa has been pretty okay, and Stanton was a good pickup.

So that's the good I've noticed, now for what's making me feel uneasy...

Kesler, in spite of a great game tonight, has been incredibly in and out. We need him to drive our secondary scoring and before today's game the only game he was good in was the Edmonton game. Hopefully he finds some consistency, because the rest of our secondary scoring isn't good enough to pick up the slack for him not producing.

Hamhuis looks like a lost puppy. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for another month or so because of the new system, but it really is jarring to see someone so good defensively struggle SO badly. We need him to be like he's always been.

We get scored on first in virtually every damn game. It's an admirable trait that this team has shown it can and will come back when they're behind, but getting behind early is going to start burning us more than it has if it keeps happening, especially as we embark on this road trip.

The bottom 6 has been kind of in shambles, but I'm willing to give this a pass for now. With Kassian suspended and Burrows out, it kind of throws things out of balance.

So yeah, some good, some bad leaves me feeling a little conflicted. I have a feeling by the end of this trip we'll know a bit more where we're at.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would rather go

Higgins - Henrik - Kassian
Daniel - Kesler - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder - Hansen
Santorelli - Richardson - Weise

Daniel and Burrows would provide Kesler with two playmaking outlets while making that line formidable defensively. Meanwhile, Higgins aggressive forecheck and grinder tendencies compliment Kassian's style and both benefit from an elite playmaker. Leaving that third line as an offensive menace by way of speed.

Burrows isn't a playmaker though. Further, I like his conversion ability with Henrik in that scenario. Since Higgins has a tendency to get shut down. Also, they tried Daniel-Kesler-Hansen earlier on and I think that combination looked good.

Daniel-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Henrik-Burrows

Those are the 6 best, polished forwards on the team currently. Late in games, Torts can shorten the bench and overplay those lines as they are.

It's early, but I like Schroeder with Kassian also. There's room to improve if they maximize what is on the roster.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
like how the team never quits. new system, new coach. whatever torts is telling these guys. they are buying into it. like the sedins. never quit attutide. there's some work to be done in the defensive zone. hamhuis is injured... looks terrible.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
Few texts w Chiggs after game:
Said he likes the increased mins he's playing
Asked if he thinks him h sedin and kes would stick as a line
"Probably not but playing with hank is unreal. He gave me 4 sick passes in one period "
"Guys think its hilarious how bad my lucks been with that [plus/minus] and not scoring "

Nothing else of note. The team is staying in Philly
tonight so he was going for a late meal.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thanks for the insight. I am really glad Higgins finally potted one, even though it was just a matter of time

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
After checking highlights, I retract my criticism of Kassian on the backcheck (still don't like his effort in open ice, but the trailing D man was in on the play) and Kesler shooting on the 2 on 1 (Dman had the pass covered).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
"Probably not but playing with hank is unreal. He gave me 4 sick passes in one period "
"Guys think its hilarious how bad my lucks been with that [plus/minus] and not scoring "

Thanks, Kevin. We all drink this stuff up, love having an "insider".

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC

He definitely deserved that goal. Has been playing really well and creating chances. Hopefully that one starts a nice little streak.

StringerBell

I'll echo the others here and say thanks for the insight. Watching Chris battle on the boards is one of the little things I look forward to every game.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
He definitely deserved that goal. Has been playing really well and creating chances. Hopefully that one starts a nice little streak.

To be honest I think he feels the same way. He's healthy and working hard out there and sans that San Jose turnover hasn't done anything glaringly wrong. Just needed to pop that first one in and hopefully a few more come.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Love these little updates, keep them coming Kev! Thanks so much. :)

And those chances were bound to go in sooner or later. Great to see Higgins finally get that monkey off his back. Happy for him.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I was really happy to see Higgins finally score, the relief as he looked up to the rafters after scoring made me laugh.

Schroeder was way better than i expected defensively, moving the puck effectively and didn't play small at all on the boards. I saw him know a guy off of the puck and had to do a double take to make sure it was him, also his zone entries are really good, he just holds the puck well and moves into the space the defense gives him. That was encouraging. Once in the zone he was floating a bit and was wasn't all that effective. But it's his first game back so hopefully that improves.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
To be honest I think he feels the same way. He's healthy and working hard out there and sans that San Jose turnover hasn't done anything glaringly wrong. Just needed to pop that first one in and hopefully a few more come.

Yeah, if he keeps playing like that, zero complaints. He's been the Canucks most consistently strong forward so far this season, outpacing Kesler/Hansen/Sedins. All of the other forwards have been good (particularly the Sedins), but I don't think Higgins has really had an 'off' night yet.

If he's around 15-20g and 35-40 points floating around between the 2nd/3rd lines, that would be excellent production at his contract number.

Plus more goals equals more hugs.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, if he keeps playing like that, zero complaints. He's been the Canucks most consistently strong forward so far this season, outpacing Kesler/Hansen/Sedins. All of the other forwards have been good (particularly the Sedins), but I don't think Higgins has really had an 'off' night yet.

If he's around 15-20g and 35-40 points floating around between the 2nd/3rd lines, that would be excellent production at his contract number.

Plus more goals equals more hugs.

Higgins is always good, it is just a matter of whether he is producing or not. The effort is never questioned. He goes through times where he is feeling it and times when he isn't, like any non-star player.

Henrik Sedin is a star player, who can drive the production of any line he is on. I want to see if we can still say the same about Daniel. It is something to think about for sure. I wish the Sedins were already signed, so you could experiment without worrying about their reactions. I think it would likely bother Henrik if Daniel was not succeeding on another line, and it would complicate contract negotiations if their was a wide point difference between the two. Does Henrik take a larger contract than his brother? probably not.

Lundface*

Higgins is always good, it is just a matter of whether he is producing or not. The effort is never questioned. He goes through times where he is feeling it and times when he isn't, like any non-star player.

Henrik Sedin is a star player, who can drive the production of any line he is on. I want to see if we can still say the same about Daniel. It is something to think about for sure. I wish the Sedins were already signed, so you could experiment without worrying about their reactions. I think it would likely bother Henrik if Daniel was not succeeding on another line, and it would complicate contract negotiations if their was a wide point difference between the two. Does Henrik take a larger contract than his brother? probably not.

If he felt so bad he could just take less so his and Daniels contracts matched ?:naughty:

I personally think Henrik is now the better player, and I feel like Daniel might struggle a bit without his brother. But the beautiful thing is these two guys are very competitive...I would never expect Henrik to feel bad for him, if anything it will fuel Daniel to match him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad