GDT: Game 7: Blue Jackets @ Avs | October 24th, 7PM MT/4AM Finnish | Saviours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have no emotional connection to the glory years so I'm not a blind legend lover, I couldn't care less "who" Roy is. I just haven't forgotten how utterly hopeless the previous regime was and the positive changes they made since then. No it's not all good but you can't ignore it either just to pick at the bad. If what you are asking is to go back to chip it up the wall dump and chase hockey, EJ's words and not mine, then at least acknowledge that.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yotes,Devils, Oilers and Bruins and if you asked me before the year began I'd add Florida,Dallas and Vancity. There are others I don't want to mention because like the 2nd group it's 50/50 and I don't want to start another useless debate.

From that list only Yotes and Devils have a worse or equal top 6 forward group than the Avs.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I love Roy he was one of my favourite players along with other 2 growing up and this is exactly the reason I didn't want him to be the coach year before he even looked to be an option. This was inevitable but I didn't think I'd be questioning his abilities so soon into his career.

From that list only Yotes and Devils have a worse or equal top 6 forward group than the Avs.
Well the question was lesser talented teams not limited to top 6 even tho I don't see why the Bruins,Canucks, or Florida have a better top 6. Even the oilers on paper isn't much of a difference.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I love Roy he was one of my favourite players along with other 2 growing up and this is exactly the reason I didn't want him to be the coach year before he even looked to be an option. This was inevitable but I didn't think I'd be questioning his abilities so soon into his career.

Well the question was lesser talented teams not limited to top 6 even tho I don't see why the Bruins,Canucks, or Florida have a better top 6. Even the oilers on paper isn't much of a difference.

After MacKinnon, Duchene and Landeskog, who do the Avs really have on top 6? And right now you can take out Duchene because he's not doing anything so that pretty much leaves MacKinnon and Landeskog with Iginla occasionally producing on PP. That's not nearly enough to win games.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
In the end, it is all about results.

And in most sports, not just winning percentage, but getting into (and the results in) the time that matters most, the playoffs.

Most all of us had mocked Edmonton for sticking too long with a group of FO people that weren't delivering results.

I'm all for being patient, especially when there are clear signs of improvement, but at the same time, a team has to be proactive when things are stagnating or spiraling downwards. I have no doubts Roy is safe for the year, and Sakic for that matter, but if KSE/Walton is serious about making the Avs a force again, I think those two are probably over 1/2 way into their trial period.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
5 years is what they get. If they can't make Bigras and Rantanen into productive NHL players and can't develop ANY other pieces to contribute on the team and can't get that collection of players to play winning hockey then yeah they should go.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

And in most sports, not just winning percentage, but getting into (and the results in) the time that matters most, the playoffs.

Most all of us had mocked Edmonton for sticking too long with a group of FO people that weren't delivering results.

I'm all for being patient, especially when there are clear signs of improvement, but at the same time, a team has to be proactive when things are stagnating or spiraling downwards. I have no doubts Roy is safe for the year, and Sakic for that matter, but if KSE/Walton is serious about making the Avs a force again, I think those two are probably over 1/2 way into their trial period.

i'm fine with FO decisions for the past summer and they did make some additions with chris macfarland coming in.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
After MacKinnon, Duchene and Landeskog, who do the Avs really have on top 6? And right now you can take out Duchene because he's not doing anything so that pretty much leaves MacKinnon and Landeskog with Iginla occasionally producing on PP. That's not nearly enough to win games.

Lol you can't just say player X is not playing well so he's not a top 6 player. If this is the case we don't have a number 1 goalie nor a number 1 defender... no wonder we suck.

Tangs and Iggy are being paid to be top 6 forwards as is Soda if they're not playing up to snuff, you start asking why that is.

You can add Comeau to that as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Their management issues were much deeper rooted though. Kevin Lowe had been the guy in charge of that team for 15 years since he became GM in 2000. It's more comparable to the Lacroix's influence and tenure than it is to Sakic and Roy's.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Lol you can't just say player X is not playing well so he's not a top 6 player. If this is the case we don't have a number 1 goalie nor a number 1 defender... no wonder we suck.

Tangs and Iggy are being paid to be top 6 forwards as is Soda if they're not playing up to snuff, you start asking why that is.

You can add Comeau to that as well.

Iginla and Tanguay are almost 40 years old, Soderberg and Comeau are not top 6 forwards.

That has been the Avs problem for a long time now. They put lesser role players into big roles and expect to win.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Soderberg's a 3rd lie centre and he's playing there, ideally that's where Comeau plays as well, they need wingers badly.

I agree. It's ok to put Comeau on top 6 once in a while if there is an injury or whatever, but when you have Comeau as a regular top 6 winger, you know you're thin at that position

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lol Tanguay is 35. Roy was the one that brought in Iginla and paid him a modest salary, was to be a 3rd liner? He also overpaid for Comeau and had him start in the top 6, Soda at what 4.5 million, he was never a shutdown guy for the bruins what made them at look at him and say "yeah, that's our Yelle"?

Duchene,Mack,Landy and tangs are top 6 forwards on most teams that's 4 out of 6, it should be able to get more than 5 pts to start the year.

You have 3/4 on one line then have the audacity to ask what's wrong with Duchene?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Tanguay is only 35? I thought he's 38, but he's playing like 45

member 116861

I think Soderberg can pass as a top 6er on a lot of teams. I doubt Tanguay plays like **** the entire season so he is another top 6 forward.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Soderberg's a 3rd line centre and he's playing there, ideally that's where Comeau plays as well, they need wingers badly.

They need more speed on the wing too. Iggy, Tanguay, and Landy are not guys that put defenders on their heels in transition. This is one area that Radulov would help immensely.

Once they're able to replace Iggy and Tangs in the top 6 with Mikko and Rads, I think this team will be able to play the pressure the puck carrier style Roy wants, and the transition game will be much quicker as a result.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think Soderberg can pass as a top 6er on a lot of teams. I doubt Tanguay plays like **** the entire season so he is another top 6 forward.

I think he would do better as a top 6 C. He is offensively minded. He could produce enough to warrant a 4.75M if he is playing with MacKinnon and Landeskog. He can be the third guy and keep up without slowing them down.

I wouldn't put him there though.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think he would do better as a top 6 C. He is offensively minded. He could produce enough to warrant a 4.75M if he is playing with MacKinnon and Landeskog. He can be the third guy and keep up without slowing them down.

I wouldn't put him there though.

The 3rd line isn't by default a defensive line, give him Iginla and Comeau, they could work well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Söderberg is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I think he can be useful, but he's not going to put the team on his back. I'm not sure he's a shutdown type player, but we'll see what happens.

Since he always looks to pass into the slot/around the net, I would want one of his wingers to be able to shoot quickly. That's why I think having him with Iginla might work. Besides, both Iginla and Söderberg doesn't rely on an up tempo game.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The 3rd line isn't by default a defensive line, give him Iginla and Comeau, they could work well.

Sure. But then we need to play Landeskogs line against the toughest opponents. And he basically the only one on that line that can handle it. Regardless who else we put there. Everberg? I think his defensive game is quite overrated around here. But lets say he is great at it. We still need more offensive talent next to Landy and Mac.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sure. But then we need to play Landeskogs line against the toughest opponents. And he basically the only one on that line that can handle it. Regardless who else we put there. Everberg? I think his defensive game is quite overrated around here. But lets say he is great at it. We still need more offensive talent next to Landy and Mac.

Tanguay and Iginla falling off a cliff at the same time really hurts, Iginla was frustrating at times last season too. However Tanguay played well on both sides of the puck.

Tanguay better snap out of it IMO, I don't believe its age with him.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Söderberg is a 2nd/3rd line tweener. I think he can be useful, but he's not going to put the team on his back. I'm not sure he's a shutdown type player, but we'll see what happens.

Since he always looks to pass into the slot/around the net, I would want one of his wingers to be able to shoot quickly. That's why I think having him with Iginla might work. Besides, both Iginla and Söderberg doesn't rely on an up tempo game.

My reasoning as well, hey seem like a fit and you feed that line with high % of offensive zone starts.

Landeskog will always be out there against top lines, he's by far the best defensive forward on the team. MacKinnon is making strides in that part of the game and could develop into a Sakic type of a player, the 3rd wheel on that line is a ? mark like you say, Tanguay doesn't belong and there's not a lot of other options there.

I like how the 4th line looked in defensive situations early on in the year.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Because it's been addressed a hundred times already?

Poor support in transition. Attempting too many long passes, leading to turnovers. Passive defensive coverage that fails to prevent the cycle. Not enough pressure on the points, forcing Avs into a passive shot blocking system. Poor at clearing the front of the net. Not enough net presence in the offensive zone.

These things are system, yes?

Some of these problems are worsened by personnel decisions, where Roy prefers defenders with very poor foot speed and limited puck moving ability.

Great post. I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of the main system issues killing the Avs the past 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad