Goal-Day Thread Game 7: Arizona AAA's @ Winnipeg Jets | 10/20/2018 1:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Goligoski 2nd highest salary on the team, Stepan 3rd highest salary on the team, Demers 5th highest salary on the team.

The little money we have is wasted on these boat anchors.

Yeah, they shouldn't look at the money when they pick the team. Money is payed if men sit in the press-box or is on the ice. Just look at who you want to play.

Stepan don't impress me much this year, even if he has trimmed himself down a bit. Good for him. But can't get much for that if it doesn't help. He is still also slower than other Cs, so he has to make up for it with point-production or something. He don't. Sad to see how he lost that last duel in front of the empty net. Just to slow.

Panik really doesn't show up much this season. I'll stop defending him for a time now. Promise.

Still, it was a closer game than expected, and the Jets look awfully good nowadays. They do.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Panik already on the trade block I reckon. It was worth keeping him around to see if he could sustain the chemistry with Step and Keller, but he's decided to float around and found himself on the 4th line where he's f***ing useless. Go out and replace him with a big body.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Panik already on the trade block I reckon. It was worth keeping him around to see if he could sustain the chemistry with Step and Keller, but he's decided to float around and found himself on the 4th line where he's ****ing useless. Go out and replace him with a big body.

He isn't that far removed from being waived. He isn't worth anything.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Trying to be realistic, Strome's in the doghouse

I'm not sure he's outright in the doghouse, though I agree he probably won't end up on the first line.
He's only 2 games removed from having TOI almost as high as Stepan's.
He still played more than Cousins and Richardson. In large part due to PP time but if he was really on the outs I think he'd have lost that time too.

They just like jerking him around for whatever reason.

EDIT: That reminds me of something though. Last season they ran Stepan into the ground playing him 21+ minutes a night the first two months. And he got better when they backed him off of that.

Right now he's at 19:50 per game, which is still about 1:30 higher than his career average. So backing him off a bit is probably a good idea.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Bunting would be better than Panik.

Plus, Oesterle has "NO BUSINESS" being out there with less than 2 minutes remaining. Muffed both of those plays, we got Goligoski to be that extra offensive forward. Big mistake from Tocchett

Keller and OEL were really good today, Keller best player on the ice. Crouse does a good job of creating space on that line, Stepan needs to do his job...he's the biggest failure so far this year, he's not been good. We need Chucky back in a big way so that Stepan can get pushed down to the 3rd line.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
PP isn't really the problem, it's the massive amount of high quality chances being given up every night. It's part effort, part coaching.

It's a factor in the problem with this team. We had 2 PP's back to back in the first 10 minutes. Convert one of those and that Fischer goal makes it 2-1 going into the 2nd.

We also didnt score one 5 on 3 last year so I'd say we need someone to make our PP more dangerous.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’ve seen this before. New baby(ies) , performance. Panik needs to bounce back or get a live in nanny.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I’ve seen this before. New baby(ies) , performance. Panik needs to bounce back or get a live in nanny.

Panik's problem is being butter soft and not taking a hit to make a play. Even Strome is taking contact now, Panik has no excuses.

Reactions: knich

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Somebody posted a study once that shows players radically fall off for like -4 months or so post childbirth.

As I recall it was after Vermy had one and was playing like ass

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Panik is known for being butter soft and not putting in the effort. It's why teams keep getting rid of him I don't buy the baby excuse.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Caught the game late due to parenting things but it turned out better than I expected. Aside from the minor details here or there with specific players, overall we did play pretty dang well. Two times we scored after being down 2 and pulled it within reach. At the end we had some really good looks that could have sent us to OT. Clearly, we don't nearly have the quality they do and even still I thought we out-played them, for what it's worth.

Big turd award to Stepan though, who is absolute poop thus far. He should petition the NHL to scratch his marker off the Keller beauty because that was an incredible play by OEL and Keller alone. Likewise, Connauton has been pretty much invisible whereas Oesterle has been incredibly solid, when not taking Ranta out. CBJ is a must win.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Trouble with moving on right now from guys like Panik, Goligoski, Demers is we'd slip below the cap floor. I believe we're not even at the cap floor right now without Hossa, Bolland, etc. Not to mention as iffy as they've been, we don't have suitable replacements right now. Chychrun can replace Goligoski in Top 4 as soon as this year, but I wouldn't throw him right into Top 4 coming off another injury. Demers is the only natural RD. Even if you went Hammer, Oesterle, Lybushkin down the right, who steps in for injuries?

Easiest guy of the 3 to move would be Panik. Right now I'd imagine that deal would need to be for another big ticket forward. What's the gap between Panik and Nyquist (pending UFA)? Second-round pick? Can't imagine he commands more than that at the deadline. Not super high on Nyquist but he could be a decent upgrade on Panik this season. Of course, Detroit would have to do max retention so we could afford it.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Trouble with moving on right now from guys like Panik, Goligoski, Demers is we'd slip below the cap floor. I believe we're not even at the cap floor right now without Hossa, Bolland, etc. Not to mention as iffy as they've been, we don't have suitable replacements right now. Chychrun can replace Goligoski in Top 4 as soon as this year, but I wouldn't throw him right into Top 4 coming off another injury. Demers is the only natural RD. Even if you went Hammer, Oesterle, Lybushkin down the right, who steps in for injuries?

Easiest guy of the 3 to move would be Panik. Right now I'd imagine that deal would need to be for another big ticket forward. What's the gap between Panik and Nyquist (pending UFA)? Second-round pick? Can't imagine he commands more than that at the deadline. Not super high on Nyquist but he could be a decent upgrade on Panik this season. Of course, Detroit would have to do max retention so we could afford it.

Even if it did move them below the cap floor, which I doubt, I'm sure they could take a contract back to sweeten the return. Goligoski has a NTC the season though so he's not going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad