Pre-Game Talk: GAME 7 1/28 7:07 PM - Penguins, Bruins and Tim Peel again OH MY!!! - NESN, SN*, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-1-27_20-20-17.png

Even though their four-game winning streak came to an end, the Pittsburgh Penguins could take solace Tuesday in yet another third-period rally to come away with a point.

But solace can only get you so far against a division rival like the Bruins. The two teams meet again Thursday in Boston in the second game of a back-to-back series after a wild overtime finish in their first affair.

The Penguins entered the third period down 2-0 and helpless on the power play. Seconds after coming up empty during a sixth such chance, Jason Zucker broke through to get the team on the board with 10:13 remaining. Kasperi Kapanen netted the equalizer with 3:16 to go, and it appeared Pittsburgh could come away with its fifth straight comeback victory.

In overtime, the Penguins had two golden opportunities, but Evgeni Malkin couldn't convert on a breakaway and came up empty as part of a 3-on-0. The Bruins didn't waste their chance on a 2-on-0, with Craig Smith scoring the game-winner on a give-and-go with David Krejci with 10.9 seconds left in overtime to seal the host's third straight victory.

"We've been trailing a lot of games now," Kapanen said. "It's always a good quality for a team to come back in a game and at least get that one point. But for us, we've just got to be ready right off the hop."

Coming away with a point is a big plus for Pittsburgh given it entered the game 0-7-1 in its past eight trips to Boston. And the rally meant even more for the Penguins after defenseman Brian Dumoulin sustained a lower-body injury in the second period and did not return, adding to an already depleted defensive corps.

"It's tough when you go down that many players at the same position," coach Mike Sullivan said. "It's a test of your depth. I think the guys are stepping up."

The Bruins were also dealt a blow in the contest after winger Jake DeBrusk exited in the first period with a lower-body injury that appeared to occur on a hip check from Sidney Crosby. With star forward David Pastrnak still considered days away from his return from offseason hip surgery, Boston could be forced to bring in reinforcements.

"That's a discussion we'll have to have [Wednesday] depending on how Jake feels in the morning," coach Bruce Cassidy said.

Boston's special teams led the way Tuesday night, with Brad Marchand scoring on the shorthand in the first period and Nick Ritchie converting a 5-on-3 in the second. Still, Cassidy lamented the amount of time his team spent on the penalty kill, noting the fatigue that showed in the final period.

Goalie Tuukka Rask appeared injured in allowing Zucker's goal, as he reached for his hip immediately after the puck went through. But he stayed in the game and finished with 28 saves in coming away with the win.

"He said he was OK," Cassidy said. "Clearly looked good in overtime. I thought he battled hard tonight. He was excellent."

Reactions: hrdpuk

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If Carey Price had done that we would never hear the end of it, at least here in Canada.
Excellent goalie, but I can imagine being close to/in Habs country must make hearing about him quite tiresome.

Your hate for the Pens will help you find a place here.
If you hate the Montreal Canadiens, you’ll get upgraded to our deluxe membership package.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Random stat observations thus far:

Both of Craig Smith's goals were game winners

Only six players have a plus minus of greater than zero

Anders Bjork has more penalty minutes (4) than shots on goal (2)

Bergeron leads with 29 shots on goal. Next closest are Smith and Marchand with 16.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I am guessin you mean Frederic instead of Ritchie?

If Lindholm is actually gonna get in the lineup it should be with Kuraly and Wagner. I have pretty much given up on Bjork but just put him in Debrusks spot with Bergeron and Marchand and leave lines 2 and 3 alone. Pretty simple.
I keep hoping for more from Bjork. Just haven’t seen it yet.

Reactions: rfournier103

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Even though their four-game winning streak came to an end, the Pittsburgh Penguins could take solace Tuesday in yet another third-period rally to come away with a point.

But solace can only get you so far against a division rival like the Bruins. The two teams meet again Thursday in Boston in the second game of a back-to-back series after a wild overtime finish in their first affair.

The Penguins entered the third period down 2-0 and helpless on the power play. Seconds after coming up empty during a sixth such chance, Jason Zucker broke through to get the team on the board with 10:13 remaining. Kasperi Kapanen netted the equalizer with 3:16 to go, and it appeared Pittsburgh could come away with its fifth straight comeback victory.

In overtime, the Penguins had two golden opportunities, but Evgeni Malkin couldn't convert on a breakaway and came up empty as part of a 3-on-0. The Bruins didn't waste their chance on a 2-on-0, with Craig Smith scoring the game-winner on a give-and-go with David Krejci with 10.9 seconds left in overtime to seal the host's third straight victory.

"We've been trailing a lot of games now," Kapanen said. "It's always a good quality for a team to come back in a game and at least get that one point. But for us, we've just got to be ready right off the hop."

Coming away with a point is a big plus for Pittsburgh given it entered the game 0-7-1 in its past eight trips to Boston. And the rally meant even more for the Penguins after defenseman Brian Dumoulin sustained a lower-body injury in the second period and did not return, adding to an already depleted defensive corps.

"It's tough when you go down that many players at the same position," coach Mike Sullivan said. "It's a test of your depth. I think the guys are stepping up."

The Bruins were also dealt a blow in the contest after winger Jake DeBrusk exited in the first period with a lower-body injury that appeared to occur on a hip check from Sidney Crosby. With star forward David Pastrnak still considered days away from his return from offseason hip surgery, Boston could be forced to bring in reinforcements.

"That's a discussion we'll have to have [Wednesday] depending on how Jake feels in the morning," coach Bruce Cassidy said.

Boston's special teams led the way Tuesday night, with Brad Marchand scoring on the shorthand in the first period and Nick Ritchie converting a 5-on-3 in the second. Still, Cassidy lamented the amount of time his team spent on the penalty kill, noting the fatigue that showed in the final period.

Goalie Tuukka Rask appeared injured in allowing Zucker's goal, as he reached for his hip immediately after the puck went through. But he stayed in the game and finished with 28 saves in coming away with the win.

"He said he was OK," Cassidy said. "Clearly looked good in overtime. I thought he battled hard tonight. He was excellent."
I’d rather Rask in goal . I only want to see Halak once a week . I don’t care if he gets 15 shutouts this year , I don’t want him to see the net at all in the playoffs. He had his shot .

Reactions: BergyWho37

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
If today practice lines are an indication...

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Ritchie-Krejci-Coyle
Bjork-Kuraly-Wagner
Frederic-Lindholm-Studnicka

Kind of wish they'd do a 4th line of Fredric-Studnicka-Senyshyn instead lol
What’s the point of putting Coyle on line 2 ? Need him centering and carrying his own line especially when they are hit with injuries .

Last edited:

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
I am excited to see this game. this is a very interesting and effective team. here's that thing my moms wanted:

MAR 100 - BER 100 - SMI 100
RIT 79 - KRE 94 - COY 79
BJO 79 - KUR 69 - WAG 59
FRE 88 - LIN 86 - STU 69
LAU 67 - McA 89
GRZ 83 - CAR 92
ZBO 85 - MIL 84
HAL 96
BOO XX

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
What was that crap with not blowing the play dead while Pitt on a PP and Malkin has a skate issue...in our d zone no less....that would have killed a lot of the PP

However Tuukka gets a hip ? injury and they let Pitt shoot it into the empty side of the goal...

I remember when Tuukka broke a skate blade and the other team scored and they let it stand

Peel is awful (other ref not much better)

I guess the only way it could get worse is a combination of Peel/Rooney/Lee reffed our games....

What is needed is consistency. I've no problem with them allowing play to continue in the case of player injury or equipment failure, as long it is safe to do so. Or to do the opposite and stop play every time, although I feel that would be bad for the game as players would try and take advantage of it. But whichever way you go, the officials need to be consistent, and apply the same rule every time. That really shouldn't be too much to ask, except of course it is.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I’d rather Rask in goal . I only want to see Halak once a week . I don’t care if he gets 15 shutouts this year , I don’t want him to see the net at all in the playoffs. He had his shot .

It's both a statistical fact and a known preference of Rask that he performs better when he plays less games, and most importantly that he plays better in the playoffs when he's had a manageable regular season load. Halak is completely fine as long as he's not overused and the Bruins' goalie system has worked very very well over the last 2-3 years. I see no reason to change it.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
I am excited to see this game. this is a very interesting and effective team. here's that thing my moms wanted:

MAR 100 - BER 100 - SMI 100
RIT 79 - KRE 94 - COY 79
BJO 79 - KUR 69 - WAG 59
FRE 88 - LIN 86 - STU 69
LAU 67 - McA 89
GRZ 83 - CAR 92
ZBO 85 - MIL 84
HAL 96
BOO XX
I remember you doin this before. How the hell is Lindholm an 86?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Peel again...horrible. Let's hope it doesn't turn out again into a power play contest. Hockey is fun when played 5on5 with occasional power play, much less when the referees do all their best to get noticed.
Agreed.

I wonder if the NHL reviews and critiques their referees’ performance like the NFL supposedly does theirs.

I don’t think Mr. Peel is very good.

Reactions: BMC and Number6

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I had hope like 2 years ago but he does not do anything for me anymore. His highlight of the season so far is lobbing a puck over a defender and winning a race to it.

So you went from had hope to does nothing to me in a 84 game showing? Basically a season lol

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
So you went from had hope to does nothing to me in a 84 game showing? Basically a season lol
It's not that unreasonable; just a couple of years ago The Bruins obviously believed he had top 6 potential. Last year, to begin the season most of us believed the Bruins saw top 6 potential. Not only have the Bruins seemingly lowered their expectations based on opportunities granted, but we as fans have seen him play NHL competition rather then relying on the Bruins brass hopes and projections of games played against college players. There is just a lot more significant data that was generated leading to drastically changing hopes and expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad