Post-Game Talk: GAME 69 - The streak ends :( - Pittsburgh 4 BRUINS 2 FINAL

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
1] The MG hit was not malicious. It happened. Sh*t happens. The Bruins of the Cassidy era have been (by Boston standards) unusually susceptible to injury. Why, I don't know.

2] The Bruins needed to lose. Winning over a long period of time covers a multitude of sins and dulls the edge. I realize how this sounds. But good teams, even great ones, need to lose on occasion to regain focus.

Not a sprint in March. A marathon all the way through. A grueling business.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
upload_2019-3-10_19-38-19.gif

Reactions: 22Brad Park

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It was fun while it lasted. Truthfully, they looked pretty bad the last few games so this isn’t too shocking.

Stempniak has that one brutal turnover and then i never saw him again. Hopefully that’s over and done with.

Halak was strong. Murray stronger. It happens.

The bruins just didn’t have it tonight and the injuries were gonna catch up at some point, they still hung in there.

Sucks to lose, but the worst part of this game was the one woman who was close enough to the mic that she could be heard over the entire crowd. Unbelievably annoying.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
I am ok with the "streak" being over. I think it becomes more of a distraction instead of "go out and win it one game at a time." Someone alluded to the playoffs as the ultimate streak, and they're right. We have to get there, but then we've got to make sure we get a 16 total win streak. It's too bad it happened against those trashbags in Pittsburgh, but if it puffs their chests out a bit only to devastatingly fall back to earth, then good.

I could not stand how much stickwork Crosby got away with. He literally water-skied from one blue-line to the other, chopping with his stick the whole way, and not a friggin' call. That really gets me.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Battled till the end so no quit at least . Give 5 powerplays against ,a shortie and bad pinch for a goal. So there is the game in a nutshell.Need to clean up a few areas but some run they had.:clap:
Sleepwalking early dug us into a hole, but 2d period was almost all Bruins. Murray was on fire. Great push at the end. All streaks end eventually. On to the next game and the next streak.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Sloppy hockey tonight. Some bad giveaways, and the entire team looks disjointed. Couldn't generate anything from shift to shift, and a great job by Pittsburgh on supporting the boards in their own end. It was bound to happen. Glad the team played until the final whistle, but they need to be better. Hopefully DeBrusk is back soon. The minute Coyle is playing with someone not named Nordstrom and he gets an assist. Halak played amazing tonight and deserved the win. Sad the boys in front just didn't have the legs or the finish.

The biggest thing that bothered me tonight was the box+1 in our own end was breaking down. Pittsburgh shifted their far point man to the middle of the ice everytime there was a board battle on the far side and it created some real opportunities for them. Something they will need an answer for before the playoffs. Often you would see 2 bruins go into the boards, 1 battling the body and the other fishing the puck. When the puck came back to the point, the forward up high would push out to attack the defender. The defender would pitch it to the other defender and they had space to walk in for a shot. Might be problematic against a team like Toronto that has some offensive power on the blue-line that can walk the puck in and open up passing and shot options for them.

Reactions: bme44 and neelynugs

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
It's pathetic the Flagship of the Bruins employs someone that openly bashes the team like that because he doesn't understand hockey. The fact that he even says the words "loser point" shows. It's literally not a loser point at all.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It was fun while it lasted. Truthfully, they looked pretty bad the last few games so this isn’t too shocking.

Stempniak has that one brutal turnover and then i never saw him again. Hopefully that’s over and done with.

Halak was strong. Murray stronger. It happens.

The bruins just didn’t have it tonight and the injuries were gonna catch up at some point, they still hung in there.

Sucks to lose, but the worst part of this game was the one woman who was close enough to the mic that she could be heard over the entire crowd. Unbelievably annoying.

Again, I know this places me in the minority, but even with elite teams, losing is part of winning. Not an extended losing streak, just enough to keep your feet on the ground, your eyes open, and your wits about you.

Barring a major collapse, the Bruins will make the playoffs. I retain doubt as to how deep they will advance. I'm okay with the loss, because Cassidy will use it, as will the Bruins' veterans.

BTW Must credit Cassidy for keeping the Bruins afloat midst myriad injuries last year, and this season, too. Many times I've felt, exasperated, "Pick a line and go with it!"

He hasn't had that luxury, because of injury but more significantly, because of management's inability to provide legitimate 2nd/3rd line help from last summer to this point. Cassidy has been impressive.

BTW II: I'm hard on Sweeney. And Neely. Not least because I respected them so much as players. Some here interpret this as animus, or a longing for Chia & Claude.

"I just want what's best fo my Bruins." ;-\

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad