GDT: Game 69: Red Wings vs bjs 7:00 pm et 3/19/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Now maybe if we didn't play like horseshit in the first period we wouldn't need last minute heroics to beat Columbus. Happy we won, but this easily could have been blown by that tremendous bust of a first period. Also, why on earth is Czarnik out there so much in the 3rd when we need a goal???

Not trying to be a downer on a win night, but sometimes it just seems like Lalonde has no clue who to put together. Thank goodness Raymond and Kane took matters into their own hands.

On the plus side, Edvinsson looked much better this game then the other 2, dare I say played quite well. Raymond had an awesome night, and other than the weak 3rd goal against, Reimer made the saves he needed to make and kept us in it in the first.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Now maybe if we didn't play like horseshit in the first period we wouldn't need last minute heroics to beat Columbus. Happy we won, but this easily could have been blown by that tremendous bust of a first period. Also, why on earth is Czarnik out there so much in the 3rd when we need a goal???

Not trying to be a downer on a win night, but sometimes it just seems like Lalonde has no clue who to put together. Thank goodness Raymond and Kane took matters into their own hands.

On the plus side, Edvinsson looked much better this game then the other 2, dare I say played quite well. Raymond had an awesome night, and other than the weak 3rd goal against, Reimer made the saves he needed to make and kept us in it in the first.

You may have answered your own question, young padawan.

SY might be playing the long game here. Ever see the Denzel & Hackman sub movie Crimson Tide? Early in the boat's cruise there's a fire in the galley. Hackman, as the experienced veteran captain, orders assistance to the galley and then immediately orders a missile drill to commence. Why does he do this? Is he dumb? Evil? No. He knows that real-world stress beats scheduled drill stress every time, and wants to see what his crew does with it.

Maybe Stevie, since we already know that he was NOT expecting actual playoffs this season, is looking at the Yzerplan on the whiteboard and saying "Hm. Woulda been nice. But we've hit a big bump. Let's see who just gets by, and who forges themselves in the fire."

The league isn't static, there are always ways to get new blood and dump imperfect fits, and now he knows he has that magic "guys want to come here to play" magic.

I'd bet a pizza that that's what he's doing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Happy for the win.

But man oh man does Reimer scares the living crap out of me when he is in net. That patented 'stand still do nothing and hope the puck hits him' move he has is nerve recking.

All the 3 shots he did let in were direct shots. That's crap goaltending.

No screens, no cross-passing, no tip-ins or bounces. Just direct shots, those are the ones you should save.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Honestly watching the replay Seider's interference was a lot more minor than I thought.

He does have a right to that space and doesn't move to get in Gaudreau's way. He gives him a bit of a hook but Gaudreau is already late on the switch and like 10 feet away from Kane when he shoots.
Yeah I have seen much worse not get called, Johnny was late and looking for a scapegoat

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Stutzle plays a more important position and is better.

What if I told you that he might not be better? Like I get the positional argument, but we are just about at the point where the gap between them is starting to become blurred.

Since the start of 2024:
Stutzle: 35 games 10 goals 31 points.
Raymond: 32 games 13 goals 31 points.

This season, Raymond is averaging 1.2 G/60, 1.0 A1/60. Stutzle is 0.7 G/60 and 0.8 A1/60. In totals, Raymond has 44 primary points in 69 games, Stutzle has 35 primary points in 67 games. I can't comment on what the secondary assists look like for Timmy, but the fact that 45% of Stutzle's points are coming from secondary assists opposed to 25% of Raymond's points is a pretty significant difference.

I'm not saying that Raymond is in fact better than Stutzle, because we have seen Stutzle put it together for an entire season, but Raymond has been the better hockey player since 2024 started. If he continues to play this way, a debate will not be wishful thinking.

The one thing that seems apparent looking at primary point production, Stutzle is much more of a puck mover and ice tilter. Raymond is more of a chance creator/finisher.

To put this into perspective on Stutzle, he ranks 6th in the NHL in secondary assists with 29 but 36th in total points with 64. The top 6 in secondary assists are:

1. Quinn Hughes - 37 secondary assists of 79 total points (46.8%)
2. Nathan MacKinnon - 36 of 117 (30.8%)
3. Cale Makar - 34 of 75 (45.3%)
4. Nikita Kucherov - 32 of 118 (27.1%)
5. Connor McDavid - 30 of 108 (27.8%)
6. Tim Stutzle - 29 of 64 (45.3%)

There's something extremely weird about the way Stutzle is amassing his points this season. It does not align with the best of the best offensive forwards.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I am a bit perplexed by Lalonde's post game comments.

Paraphrased as now the narrative is changed to we have won 2 of last 3 and we are above that line.

I am sure there is more context here, but IMO there should only be ONE message coming out of last night:

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

That's great they responded in the second to the dump they took in the first, but then they let it get away in the third.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

No sane person can consider the Wings ahead of the Caps in the standings who have 2 games in hand. Statistically they are about 1.25 points ahead of us with at least 3 (likely to be 4) more regualtion wins.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

If I was coaching this team (and yeah I know we can all thank god I am not, but) when they showed up to the rink today, I wouldn't let them on the ice. I would say no practice today. You guys need to go home and think about what its going to take over the last stretch OR sit here in the room and "discuss" what you need to do as a team, OR somethinge else... whatever it's going to take.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Reactions: Sentinel

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Paraphrased as now the narrative is changed to we have won 2 of last 3 and we are above that line.

I am sure there is more context here, but IMO there should only be ONE message coming out of last night:

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

That's great they responded in the second to the dump they took in the first, but then they let it get away in the third.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

No sane person can consider the Wings ahead of the Caps in the standings who have 2 games in hand. Statistically they are about 1.25 points ahead of us with at least 3 (likely to be 4) more regualtion wins.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

If I was coaching this team (and yeah I know we can all thank god I am not, but) when they showed up to the rink today, I wouldn't let them on the ice. I would say no practice today. You guys need to go home and think about what its going to take over the last stretch OR sit here in the room and "discuss" what you need to do as a team, OR somethinge else... whatever it's going to take.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
There doesn't appear to be much expectation or accountability. Lalonde is too positive for this group, even when they play like an AHL team for two weeks. Blashill was the same.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
In fairness he did say it wasn’t good enough during his presser

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I don't remember anybody in Wings' goal being as bad as Reimer. Not Howard in his twilight years, not Mrazek at his worst. He is absolutely atrocious and should not set his foot on the NHL ice.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is on pace what he had with Ottawa last year which was 27 goals. I think the Wings expected at least 35 goals. He is behind Larkin who has been almost 1/4 of the season and Raymond.

He also had 9 in the first 7 games, and only 14 since.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At last 50 games, DeBrincat has scored 5-on-5 only 4 goals by himself.

But the team has scored 31 total goals, when he is on the ice, which is team-high.

So that's pretty much good. Opposite teams will maybe shadow him closely, which will open free space for others to score. He has had great amount of assists during this stretch. Kane and Larkin have scored "too much".

Zaronji

Mar 18, 2007
Michigan
I'm personally not really low on DeBrincat at all. as Henkka said, other people score when he's on the ice. Back earlier in the season when DeBrincat was playing extremely well, I remember a game where Kane looked like he was always trying to make the pass to DeBrincat. The other team started double-teaming DeBrincat, so Kane passed to someone else, and that person scored. In my inexperienced (I've never played hockey) viewing, it feels like the other team is really just covering DeBrincat really well, but that opens things up for other players to score.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Didn't DeBrincat have a kid like a month ago? I think he already has 1-2. That's easily enough of a situation to make a noticeable change in your play. Dude is probably run down. lol

I think people forget these guys are also human.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I don't remember anybody in Wings' goal being as bad as Reimer. Not Howard in his twilight years, not Mrazek at his worst. He is absolutely atrocious and should not set his foot on the NHL ice.
Man you are so wrong, you can't be more wrong.
Reimer is one of the best goalies in the league in 2024. He is 5-1 with only 1 game under. 900 and even that one he was close to win it.
At last 50 games, DeBrincat has scored 5-on-5 only 4 goals by himself.

But the team has scored 31 total goals, when he is on the ice, which is team-high.

So that's pretty much good. Opposite teams will maybe shadow him closely, which will open free space for others to score. He has had great amount of assists during this stretch. Kane and Larkin have scored "too much".
However, he has been missing glorious chances.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Man you are so wrong, you can't be more wrong.
Reimer is one of the best goalies in the league in 2024. He is 5-1 with only 1 game under. 900 and even that one he was close to win it.

However, he has been missing glorious chances.

Just 4-5 goals shy.

His individual xG is 8.25 goals, from this period he has scored 4.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Czarnik's out there because he's the only center with larkin out that has any sort of chemistry with Kane and deBrincat. Compher and Veleno makes the line look putrid.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I'm personally not really low on DeBrincat at all. as Henkka said, other people score when he's on the ice. Back earlier in the season when DeBrincat was playing extremely well, I remember a game where Kane looked like he was always trying to make the pass to DeBrincat. The other team started double-teaming DeBrincat, so Kane passed to someone else, and that person scored. In my inexperienced (I've never played hockey) viewing, it feels like the other team is really just covering DeBrincat really well, but that opens things up for other players to score.
Bobby Orr was one of the first players I saw being shadowed, when he was, he would choose another player on the other team to shadow himself, basically leaving the other team playing 3 on 4, which against the Bruins of the day, often did not work out well for them.

I think once the wings get back to having 2 lines that can pile up the score and get back to being balanced (Once D-Boss gets back and up to speed) we'll see things pick up for the Cat, despite the tighter checking of late season.

Reactions: Zaronji

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad