Post-Game Talk: GAME #66: Vancouver Canucks 0 @ Vegas Golden Knights 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
What does it say about these experts when they are consistently wrong and the *******s on this dumb board are consistently right about how this team fares year after year and how acquisitions like Eriksson and Gudbranson turn out?
The whole defense is a mess. Hutton and Stecher are likeable NHL players but are being asked to do too much over their heads. Theyd be doing great on a proper team as Hutton as a #4 and Stecher as a 5 or 6. They probably know that too, gotta be frustrating

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
The whole defense is a mess. Hutton and Stecher are likeable NHL players but are being asked to do too much over their heads. Theyd be doing great on a proper team as Hutton as a #4 and Stecher as a 5 or 6. They probably know that too, gotta be frustrating
The whole team is a mess and I don't think it can be fixed by adding a few pieces here and there and removing other. I think the pieces are already there, talent wise (well, a puck moving defenceman would be nice). If you looked at the latest Vegas game, I don't think the difference was skill, it was the system and players "buying into it". When the Canucks got the puck, they didn't know what to do with it and are easily picked off again. When they "forechecked", they did it individually and not as a team (ie=pointless).

Players seem to lack directives, structure and a proper game plan and the feeling of trust from the coach. Just throw a few guys in there, hope they find chemistry and see what happens. If they get a few shots on net then hurrah ("we had some good looks"), otherwise bench some, juggle the lines again. No consistency at all and the lack of consistency even shows in the o-zone, where they constantly makes weird turnovers because they don't know their linemates well enough.

When players know what are expected to them, it helps them in decision making and takes away hesitation and to avoid the situation where they feel they are under constant pressure and are forced to cough up the puck over and over again. It also gives them room and time to improvise. It's like following a recipé; the more thorough you are, the more room you get for errors, and when youv'e done the dish a few times, you can start to improvise and improve it.

If Vegas and Canucks traded coaches, would we get the same result?

Reading an old article about Gallant: (https://nationalpost.com/sports/hoc...olden-opportunity-for-himself-and-his-players):

“I think Gerard could coach any type of team. I really do,” Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill said. “He makes you part of the team, and you’re a valuable part of the team, and you want to go to war for him. That’s a great niche to have as a coach.”
Gallant has the Golden Knights playing an up-tempo system built on speed and puck pursuit. But his biggest achievement might be in bringing together a dressing room full of strangers and getting them on the same page from day one. Vegas might not have a true superstar or even a player ranked in the top 40 in points, but what they lack in talent they make up for in teamwork — an old cliché that Gallant has breathed new life into by rolling four lines.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt that the opportunity is very refreshing for the players,” said McPhee, who himself was fired as GM of the Washington Capitals in 2014. “He has the players’ trust because if you have the uniform on for the game then you get to play. He plays everyone. And he gives players a second, a third, and a fourth chance and realizes his players are going to make mistakes and you don’t park them for it — you keep playing them.
“The players have done a very good job of stepping up and showing what they could do.”

Maybe, the Canucks got hit by the injury bug and never recovered, started panicking and lost their way, but at the moment they should be healthy enough to perform way more better than this.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I was more thinking of the broader season i.e if we had only run of the mill goaltending, where would this team be in the the standings?

Still super fascinating stuff with the shot distance being factored in though—appreciate the insight!

I have him as +14 goals on the season; I haven't looked at for example since December.

That may sound low but it's quite good, 10th overall in the NHL and he's faced more shots than any of them. Lehner and Greiss are ahead of him but they are basically splitting their games 50/50 which lightens the work load. Same thing with Bishop/Khudobin in Dallas.

Based on this data method though, the runaway number one is John Gibson, +26 as he has been under siege all season and has maintained a .916 Save% vs I calculate a .898 save% for the average goalie facing those shots. Markstrom's expected Save% is .905.

Anyway, I keep this numbers updated on this site.

Man, I wish I had shot velocity data though; that is one obvious thing that I am not accounting for.

I really wonder though if John Gibson gets enough respect around the league. That guy's numbers the past few seasons have been unreal.

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
You forgot Tryamkin coming back, Juolevi learning to defend in the summer , Edler finding a time machine.

We should be good to go next year.

All kidding aside, we have the worst defence in the NHL. When when all healthy.
If Juolevi pans out and Tryamkin comes back the defense is looking a bit better. High end right handed defender is missing though.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The whole team is a mess and I don't think it can be fixed by adding a few pieces here and there and removing other. I think the pieces are already there, talent wise (well, a puck moving defenceman would be nice). If you looked at the latest Vegas game, I don't think the difference was skill, it was the system and players "buying into it". When the Canucks got the puck, they didn't know what to do with it and are easily picked off again. When they "forechecked", they did it individually and not as a team (ie=pointless).

Players seem to lack directives, structure and a proper game plan and the feeling of trust from the coach. Just throw a few guys in there, hope they find chemistry and see what happens. If they get a few shots on net then hurrah ("we had some good looks"), otherwise bench some, juggle the lines again. No consistency at all and the lack of consistency even shows in the o-zone, where they constantly makes weird turnovers because they don't know their linemates well enough.

When players know what are expected to them, it helps them in decision making and takes away hesitation and to avoid the situation where they feel they are under constant pressure and are forced to cough up the puck over and over again. It also gives them room and time to improvise. It's like following a recipé; the more thorough you are, the more room you get for errors, and when youv'e done the dish a few times, you can start to improvise and improve it.

If Vegas and Canucks traded coaches, would we get the same result?

Reading an old article about Gallant: (https://nationalpost.com/sports/hoc...olden-opportunity-for-himself-and-his-players):

“I think Gerard could coach any type of team. I really do,” Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill said. “He makes you part of the team, and you’re a valuable part of the team, and you want to go to war for him. That’s a great niche to have as a coach.”
Gallant has the Golden Knights playing an up-tempo system built on speed and puck pursuit. But his biggest achievement might be in bringing together a dressing room full of strangers and getting them on the same page from day one. Vegas might not have a true superstar or even a player ranked in the top 40 in points, but what they lack in talent they make up for in teamwork — an old cliché that Gallant has breathed new life into by rolling four lines.
“I don’t think there’s any doubt that the opportunity is very refreshing for the players,” said McPhee, who himself was fired as GM of the Washington Capitals in 2014. “He has the players’ trust because if you have the uniform on for the game then you get to play. He plays everyone. And he gives players a second, a third, and a fourth chance and realizes his players are going to make mistakes and you don’t park them for it — you keep playing them.
“The players have done a very good job of stepping up and showing what they could do.”

Maybe, the Canucks got hit by the injury bug and never recovered, started panicking and lost their way, but at the moment they should be healthy enough to perform way more better than this.

For whatever reason Green seems to get a free pass from the more virulent Benning haters but not me and I'm no fan of JB. The comparison with Vegas is compelling; the difference between us and them is largely coaching. Gallant is elite level, Green is completely out of his depth in the NHL.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
For whatever reason Green seems to get a free pass from the more virulent Benning haters but not me and I'm no fan of JB. The comparison with Vegas is compelling; the difference between us and them is largely coaching. Gallant is elite level, Green is completely out of his depth in the NHL.

True. They both need to go. It’s ounfikly clear that Green is overwhelmed.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Based on what? Just curious. Why do you think he will be a top 4?
He was a dynamic high scoring junior player. Picked high in draft by pro scouts who are more knowledgeable than me.

In his first pro season in Finland he played very well and was a top scoring d man in the top Finnish league. He also played in the world juniors.

This year he was a top scoring rookie d man prior to his injury. 13 points in 18 games.

He’s very mobile and an excellent passer. He has the tools to be a high quality player but obviously not a great injury this year.

He’s still young and I think he will turn out.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Right (pun intended) now, I'll take four legitimate (note I'm *NOT* saying elite) top 4 D that are *ALL* lefties.
He’s lefty righty factor is a major issue. More reason why they need to get what they can for Edler.... or here’s a thought. Trade a player when he actually has value. Like Hutton.

Surely Hutton could fetch at least a 2nd a prospect.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He’s lefty righty factor is a major issue. More reason why they need to get what they can for Edler.... or here’s a thought. Trade a player when he actually has value. Like Hutton.

Surely Hutton could fetch at least a 2nd a prospect.

Hutton was a healthy scratch for as many games last year as he’s been good this year. People don’t forget. He needs to play well consistently to have trade value.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
He was a dynamic high scoring junior player. Picked high in draft by pro scouts who are more knowledgeable than me.

In his first pro season in Finland he played very well and was a top scoring d man in the top Finnish league. He also played in the world juniors.

This year he was a top scoring rookie d man prior to his injury. 13 points in 18 games.

He’s very mobile and an excellent passer. He has the tools to be a high quality player but obviously not a great injury this year.

He’s still young and I think he will turn out.

Some good points. Many would argue

1) he can’t defend. Proven by both the eye test and the fact he’s -12 in 18 games.

2) he has an attitude problem (documented)

3) he’s injury prone (documented)

4) he is addicted to video games (rumoured)

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Some good points. Many would argue

1) he can’t defend. Proven by both the eye test and the fact he’s -12 in 18 games.

2) he has an attitude problem (documented)

3) he’s injury prone (documented)

4) he is addicted to video games (rumoured)
I haven’t seen any of the attitude related stories? Any articles?

The injuries thing is hard to argue...

I’m just hoping he turns out here...Canucks need him to turn out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad