GDT: Game 66: Detroit Red Wings @ Colorado Avalanche | 3/5/2019 | 9:00PM ET | FSD

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think Kronner deserves a lot of credit. You could hear him yelling on the telecast a lot. I remember that from games in person too, Kronner as an excellent communicator. He is a really vocal partner and that can really help calm a player like Bowey that seems to panic things by trying to be too quick.

We shall see, but I really thought that pairing looked pretty good. Daley and Ericsson were well unfortunately Daley and Ericsson. DK was good at times, really awful on the PP goal at canceling anybody... Hronek for me was the best of the bunch tonight in my opinion, really solid game.

Agree with Kronwall communication. If it’s me he probably is best to play with Bowey at this point to really help him settle in. As far as making plays and hockey iq Kronwall is still probably the best D-man on the team alongside Green. Kronwall’s body just hurts him at times.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we could win Hughes the idea of a Zadina-Hughes-Ras line is pretty tantalizing. Obviously Ras needs to keep developing but both of those guys can rag the puck and snap passes around while Ras blinds the goalie and cleans up what filters down low. Zadina because of his ability to pass and also dangle could be a good linemate, he would find quiet areas too while Hughes wheeled around in the zone. It is one of those at least on paper or more appropriately in my dreamland where Jack Hughes is a Red Wings player, that line should work.

Last edited:

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Was that the game where I was calling Mantha Lennie from Of Mice and Men even though he scored a couple goals?
Mantha didn't actually score a couple goals that game he had 4 assists.. and I just think AA would not have even been brought up tonight if he just buried that OT chance or even if the puck went out of play or something.... Just the bad backcheck and now AA is back to being hated on.. I find it's getting old. And imo the past 10-12 games Mantha has been turning a corner and the stats show.. Definitely an off night but I have seen strides the past month.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Looking at the AA play in OT it’s not as bad as I thought. I think he didn’t realize where the puck was, then went for the change which honestly should have been the smart play as they would have gained a good distance throwing someone out the other door. Bench wasn’t ready so he tried hard to get back, also I’m sure he was a bit tired

He can't try to play head coach. Unless you're told to change, you need to keep up with the play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Congrats to Zadina on his first goal. Glad you guys get the loser point, don’t want you getting close to the Sens in points. :D

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Mantha didn't actually score a couple goals that game he had 4 assists.. and I just think AA would not have even been brought up tonight if he just buried that OT chance or even if the puck went out of play or something.... Just the bad backcheck and now AA is back to being hated on.. I find it's getting old. And imo the past 10-12 games Mantha has been turning a corner and the stats show.. Definitely an off night but I have seen strides the past month.

I am one of the last people to hate on AA on this board. I defend him more often than not. Hell, I’ll defend guys I can’t stand if I think the situation warrants it. Case in point - can’t stand Abby but still noted his decent play tonight. But I won’t sweep stuff under the rug either.

When it comes to Mantha, I’ve defended him when I think people are too critical and chastised him when folks favor him. I do believe he isn’t a smart man though. He’ll break through once top six experience becomes ingrained and instinctual for him if you ask me.

I understand being frustrated and annoyed with the collective rhetoric around any one player. I hate that too. But you’re barking up the wrong tree here.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
He can't try to play head coach. Unless you're told to change, you need to keep up with teh play.
Guys don’t just change when they are asked to change, it’s a high iq play if you are tired and in that situation when you can get a guy to come off the other side of the bench. You gain a tun of real estate.

Reactions: newfy

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Guys don’t just change when they are asked to change, it’s a high iq play if you are tired and in that situation when you can get a guy to come off the other side of the bench. You gain a tun of real estate.

Not when you have a long change, in 3 on 3, and when the play has passed the bench. No one was looking at him. They were watching the play that had passed. Had he not spent a few second behind the goal lamenting his missed opportunity, or had he not tried to go for a change, he could have been there to back check. It doesn't take high IQ to just want to change. It takes high IQ to see what I described and know a change wasn't going to happen.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

They were both bad tonight.

As a big Mantha fan I could not have been more disappointed with his effort. He deserves to be crushed for that performance, it was everything people are critical of him point out. Lazy disengaged hockey doesn't work at this level. They have both been around too long for that kind of performance.

I agree with the point being said that most of AA's problem is this shift center. He is more suited for the wing and has made big strides there this year, why crush his confidence going into the off-season for him to be junk the last 20 games at center. Again, I would believe they might have made this decision to prove to AA and his agent once and for all that he is not a center. I think that plays into this, him and his agent always talk about liking the middle, but there is problem there happy(AA), it's that he is not any good there.:laugh:

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Looking at the AA play in OT it’s not as bad as I thought. I think he didn’t realize where the puck was, then went for the change which honestly should have been the smart play as they would have gained a good distance throwing someone out the other door. Bench wasn’t ready so he tried hard to get back, also I’m sure he was a bit tired
Generally if you miss the net like that in overtime it's going the other way. As soon as he missed it he should have gone right to the bench. Easy to say for me as a viewer, I get it, but in overtime you need to be aware of these things at all times.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

The problem is the song and dance for both of them is the same. They play great for 5-15 games than take 5-15 games off. Maybe one day they will both be consistent, but until then, they are going to be guys who get a lot of love, and then a lot of hate.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

As a big Mantha fan I could not have been more disappointed with his effort. He deserves to be crushed for that performance, it was everything people critical of him point out. Lazy disengaged hockey doesn't work at this level. They have both been around too long for that kind of performance.

I agree with the point being said that most of AA's problem is this shift center. He is more suited for the wing and has made big strides there this year, why crush his confidence going into the off-season for him to be junk the last 20 games at center. Again, I would believe they might have made this decision to prove to AA and his agent once and for all that he is not a center. I think that plays into this, him and his agent always talk about liking the middle, but there is problem there happy(AA), it's that he is not any good there.:laugh:

In the end AA and Mantha feel like guys you have in the middle 6. Having AA as a top 6 center, and Mantha as a top line winger they are going to have the flaws of their game on exhibition.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In the end AA and Mantha feel like guys you have in the middle 6. Having AA as a top 6 center, and Mantha as a top line winger they are going to have the flaws of their game on exhibition.

I think both have had solid points this season, but ultimately it is their inconsistency that is their undoing. Bert being consistent and just continuing to get better is making himself a top 6 guy for instance. I don't know it is frustrating for sure. There is a lot of talent there, both guys seem totally unable to bottle it and contain it.

I do think we are beyond the excuses phase. When they stink like they did tonight they are going to get picked on, because really at this point they should know better. I think that is a part of it, I am a little tired of excusing guys their age and playing professional hockey for a while having that crummy of an effort. It is kind of startling. Oh well flush it, but this is why these guys are short of their potential to me.

They seem a little more engaged with Larkin having a big role, maybe with a close friend in the C they will finally fully buy-in, I mean man I hope they can...

Reactions: Winger98

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If we could win Hughes the idea of a Zadina-Hughes-Ras line is pretty tantalizing. Obviously Ras needs to keep developing but both of those guys can rag the puck and snap passes around while Ras blinds the goalie and cleans up what filters down low. Zadina because of his ability to pass and also dangle could be a good linemate, he would find quiet areas too while Hughes wheeled around in the zone. It is one of those at least on paper or more appropriately in my dreamland where Jack Hughes is a Red Wings that line should work.

I think getting Hughes would be transformative for us. Hughes, Larkin, Zadina, and Mantha are massive top 6 pieces for us. The only two things I'd feel really lacking in is a #1 defenseman and a starting goaltender.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

As a big Mantha fan I could not have been more disappointed with his effort. He deserves to be crushed for that performance, it was everything people critical of him point out. Lazy disengaged hockey doesn't work at this level. They have both been around too long for that kind of performance.

I definitely am not interested in making any knee jerk decisions, but I'd definitely be in favor to signing or trading for a short term second line center option this offseason. That way whatever center we are likely to draft doesn't have to be rushed, Nielsen can comfortably slot in on line three, and AA doesn't have to play center.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
wow people get really offended when anybody says zadina isn't perfect
Personally, I just shake my head when the actual rebuilding happens, and then some fans get critical of how ugly it looks, whether from the inexperience or the development taking awhile.

This is what a rebuild is. Kids getting their feet wet, making mistakes, learning the game on and off the ice, and having a bad product for a few years in the meantime.

So yeah, Zadina has plenty to work on. No kidding, after a handful of NHL games. If he was a stud right off the bat, he would've been right there with Dahlin and Svechnikov. (And even top picks sometimes take awhile; it's not like Hischier and Patrick lit the world on fire in D+1.)

Give. It. Time.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
27(!!!) minutes for Hronek tonight, wow
This is just awesome. I've been extremely high on Hronek and very persistent of the notion that he would be the best of our current crop of defensemen AND that even in October, he was probably better than half of our putrid blue line. I'm very elated to see him developing before our eyes, because if this guy can be a top pairing guy, that puts us in a terrific spot going forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is just awesome. I've been extremely high on Hronek and very persistent of the notion that he would be the best of our current crop of defensemen AND that even in October, he was probably better than half of our putrid blue line. I'm very elated to see him developing before our eyes, because if this guy can be a top pairing guy, that puts us in a terrific spot going forward.
Agreed. I'm tempering my enthusiasm for now, but there's a good chance the kid is at least a 1B/2A kinda guy, which is great, especially as the extra piece in the Chychrun deal for Cholowski.

Reactions: newfy

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
That’ll most likely happen.....again. :thumbd:
I know Edmonton has won all the lotteries, but there should be a rule about complaining because you didn't win more lotteries...especially when that lottery win got you a guy like McKinnon instead of a guy like Hischier or Yakupov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad