GDT: Game 64: Avs vs Canucks | 7:30 PM MT | February 27, 2019

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Are we really going to risk not making the NHL playoffs by playing Bourque/Dries over Greer, just so the Eagles can possibly make the AHL playoffs? I'm not saying Greer is great, but the team starting playing better as soon as he got in the lineup. I understand there were a lot of factors that led to them playing better (goaltending), but it seems like he's worth using one of those 4 call-ups to me. There are only 5 weeks left in the season.

I'd personally have Greer up, but Greer isn't going to be the difference between not making the playoffs and making them.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Are we really going to risk not making the NHL playoffs by playing Bourque/Dries over Greer, just so the Eagles can possibly make the AHL playoffs? I'm not saying Greer is great, but the team starting playing better as soon as he got in the lineup. I understand there were a lot of factors that led to them playing better (goaltending), but it seems like he's worth using one of those 4 call-ups to me. There are only 5 weeks left in the season.
Big Z's stupid penalty, Varly's .895 SV% vs around .930, and our lack of coverage in OT had much much much more to do with our OT lost than having a weak 4th line.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I'd personally have Greer up, but Greer isn't going to be the difference between not making the playoffs and making them.

I agree that the 4th line has a minimal impact, but the organization clearly thinks Greer is better than Bourque/Dries or he wouldn't have played instead of those guys the two weeks before the deadline. It just doesn't make sense why you wouldn't ice your best roster when you're trying to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Avs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree that the 4th line has a minimal impact, but the organization clearly thinks Greer is better than Bourque/Dries or he wouldn't have played instead of those guys the two weeks before the deadline. It just doesn't make sense why you wouldn't ice your best roster when you're trying to make the playoffs.

Or they were shopping Greer for a swap and giving teams a look at what he could do in the NHL...

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I understand the paper transaction side of it.

But we were also arguably on our hottest streak of the season at the most important time of the year. I don’t understand why you would even think about switching anything up.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The Avs are only allowed 4 non-emergency call ups before the AHL season ends... they have to be careful with them.
Joe Sakic will declare a national emergency at the 4th line. "We got all these players coming into our offensive zone. Thousands, every day. I don't have to declare an emergency, I just wanted to call Greer and Agozzino up faster"

Reactions: McMetal

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Joe Sakic will declare a national emergency at the 4th line. "We got all these players coming into our offensive zone. Thousands, every day. I don't have to declare an emergency, I just wanted to call Greer and Agozzino up faster"
Can he call a National emergency for our second line aswell?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Big Z's stupid penalty, Varly's .895 SV% vs around .930, and our lack of coverage in OT had much much much more to do with our OT lost than having a weak 4th line.
I'm actually not sure that's correct. All these things played a role but I think the 4th line or the lack thereof had a huge impact. Remember a bad line doesn't only affect the game when it's on the ice but also every time you usually would play that line but cannot because the other team would take over instantly like the Panthers did last game. Also, our three top guys have played a lot of hockey this season, we need to give them as much time to take a breath as possible.

On most teams who're chasing the playoffs the 4th line isn't terribly important. The lack of skill in the middle six and the amount of heavy shifts 9296 already had this season makes the 4th an extremely important line for us.

Edit: I also take Agozzino over Bourque on the PK every single day. So this doesn't only affect 5on5 hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm actually not sure that's correct. All these things played a role but I think the 4th line or the lack thereof had a huge impact. Remember a bad line doesn't only affect the game when it's on the ice but also every time you usually would play that line but cannot because the other team would take over instantly like the Panthers did last game. Also, our three top guys have played a lot of hockey this season, we need to give them as much time to take a breath as possible.

On most teams who're chasing the playoffs the 4th line isn't terribly important. The lack of skill in the middle six and the amount of heavy shifts 9296 already had this season makes the 4th an extremely important line for us.

Edit: I also take Agozzino over Bourque on the PK every single day. So this doesn't only affect 5on5 hockey.
I do agree with everything you say but in this case IMO the three things I mentioned were much more at play than the top guys being tired.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is a game that if Avs win they'll jump ahead of Stars into a playoffs spot and it's against a team that's chasing the Avs, also Vancouver played last night.

Avs usually lose this games so we'll see how it goes

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I quite liked Rantanen with Soda and give Brassard to MacKinnon and Andrighetto/Kerfoot (Ghetto looks so much better when he's with skilled guys, he doesn't play a grinding game they will ask of him on the 4th). Calvert would be better there than with Jost and Landeskog who are already good fore checkers

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad