Post-Game Talk: GAME 63 - A rare third period meltdown - Oilers 3 BRUINS 2 F

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Bruins haven’t seemed to been the same since Orlov. Love him, but it seems Gryz isn’t the huge part like he was 5v5. He drove alot of that offense

Also, these things happen. You’re not always going to fire on all cylinders
Are you blaming Orlov? Come on now.

Gryz not being part of 5v5 should be music to people's ears here. Don't you know he's trash?/sarcasm

Absolutely, he had no legs last night. I think they need to concentrate on his conditioning the rest of the year. He has missed huge chunks of the season.
Gee maybe breaking both your hands plays a role in things.

People are nitpicking because they lost only their 9th game out of 63.

Bertuzzi wasn't a problem

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Last night's game not the best for Gryz he got pushed around and Coyle twice was in prime shooting position and decide to pass where there was no player.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Team was due a loss. Flat in the second half tonight, it happens. Shrug it off and bounce back stronger in the next one.

There's not too much left to analyse with this team. The same weaknesses and issues, limited though they are, tend to present themselves each rare time they play poorly. Enough there to keep the coaches busy. Hopefully they can be addressed before the playoffs.

Like some others here, I'd like to see more of Lauko down the stretch. Greer battles and has a place but I like seeing some more speed in our bottom 6.

Edmonton came out primed and were all over Boston the first half of period one.
Ekholm was laying out Bruins all first period. Laid out #74 on what looked like to me
an accidentally on purpose hit. Ekholm is a terrific upgrade for Edmonton. Pushes
Nurse down to 2LD. Edmonton with a top 15 goalie could do serious damage next year.

Bergeron had a good first two periods but it looked like he lost his legs totally in the 3rd. Hopefully not any physical issues.

Greer had one of his better games last night but I have no issue with slotting Paulo in for him but Greer was good last night, more effective than Bertuzzi who made a couple of nice passes butlooked lethargic otherwise.

Getting a bit concerned with Swayman though. He has given up what I consider weak goals in Seattle (Dunn), in Edmonton (#97 first) and last night with Nurse.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Bruins haven’t seemed to been the same since Orlov. Love him, but it seems Gryz isn’t the huge part like he was 5v5. He drove alot of that offense

Also, these things happen. You’re not always going to fire on all cylinders
Your right, they’ve been terrible, only won 10 games in a row till last night.

Those are rookie numbers

Reactions: lopey

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Just in.

sigh. You can't win them all...

The Bs were off tonight. Coyle had a rough night. Bergy had a bad play (doesn't happen often). Brad was bent over in pain on the bench. He is playing hurt...REST HIM.

On to the next game.

That's a bad sign regarding Marchand especially given his comments regarding where he thought he would be regarding his hips. Maybe time for him to get some healing time. If its his hips that is very concerning.

Reactions: Ladyfan

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Just caught the highlights; was disappointed I wouldn't be able to see McDavid in Boston, but in hindsight this was a good game to miss.

One positive, the reconfigured PP2 with Lindholm, McAvoy, and Bertuzzi net front looked good on the disallowed goal.

This game reminded me of the Washington game after the bye; the team just wasn't in sync after several days off.

Would've liked to at least get a point, as losing home ice to Carolina is still possible and could have unwelcome repercussions come playoffs.

If they blow a double digit lead in the last 19-20 games good chance they are a banged up group and will get beat R1.

Lauko absolutely should be in for Greer every 8 out of 10 games IMO.

Clifton shouldn't be the scratch either. I get Monty is rotating the bottom 3 guys as scratches but I think more often than not it should be one of Forbort or Gryz

I have no issues rotating them every other game but Greer had one of his better games last night. Beginning to think Paulo requesting a trade has the coach and GM not
enamored with Lauko.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You’re basically playing every other day from here on out.

Look at all those Saturday Sunday back to backs.

That’s crazy.

I don’t want Bergeron playing in those back to backs.
BEA463E9-5706-439D-9B9F-BF61FAF8B3E8.jpeg

aguineapig

Could not watch, I got ESPN'd so had to 98.5. Anyone complaining about announcers must be up in arms about Bob Beers. His analysis to my ears said one thing but reading the GDT and Post Game thread and getting the real scoop on here from some HF'ers says another. Obviously a partisan hack. Now back to your regular programming.

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and sooshii

remer

Oct 18, 2005
A few red flags appearing for the Bruins. Health is everything. They need everyone healthy.
Hathaway and Bertuzzi need some time to adjust. Speed and conditioning are needed.
Might not be a bad idea to give Lindholm and McAvoy some rest. Zboril needs some time. Call up Mike Rielly. The defense is all juggled up anyway with this rotation idea.
Work on the PP
Swayman has been a bit shaky lately.
Lauko needs some games. Play some of the kids in Providence to see what we have. Too many back to backs coming up, so be as creative has you can be.
Krejci, Bergy and Marchand need some rest time.
Might be a good idea to promote other players higher up in the rotation to build confidence.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Edmonton came out primed and were all over Boston the first half of period one.
Ekholm was laying out Bruins all first period. Laid out #74 on what looked like to me
an accidentally on purpose hit. Ekholm is a terrific upgrade for Edmonton. Pushes
Nurse down to 2LD. Edmonton with a top 15 goalie could do serious damage next year.

Bergeron had a good first two periods but it looked like he lost his legs totally in the 3rd. Hopefully not any physical issues.

Greer had one of his better games last night but I have no issue with slotting Paulo in for him but Greer was good last night, more effective than Bertuzzi who made a couple of nice passes butlooked lethargic otherwise.

Getting a bit concerned with Swayman though. He has given up what I consider weak goals in Seattle (Dunn), in Edmonton (#97 first) and last night with Nurse.

Agree on Ekholm. Great addition for the Oilers and with a couple more smart moves in the offseason they might finally be in a position to take the next step from a good team to a genuine Cup contender.

One of the things that struck me watching the game in person in Calgary was how weary Bergeron looked for most of it. I mean the whole team was pretty awful and fatigued in that game, but Bergy in particular looked drained and made a few really basic and very uncharacteristic errors. Perhaps he is dealing with something, but it is also reality that in sporting terms he and Krejci are old. It gets ever harder for those guys to keep up the relentless NHL pace. But they are true professionals and I trust they will know best how to refresh as much as they can down this last stretch and gear up for a big postseason. Bertuzzi I am willing to give a few extra games before I make any judgments.

Swayman has some issues but they don't concern me too much at present. It's Ullmark all the way in the playoffs. If he gets injured then we'll have to deal with it and it could spell disaster but that's normal - there are a smattering of backups who have stood up and made big contributions to Cup wins, but it's rare. The team will more likely stand or fall with the fortunes of its no. 1 netminder.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Gryz not being part of 5v5 should be music to people's ears here. Don't you know he's trash?/sarcasm

I live in Metro Detroit and watch most of the Red Wings games. I know exactly what happened to Bertuzzi, hence my comments in him missing huge chunks of the season,
which easily manifests itself to not being in peak condition. He had absolutely no legs last night.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

No, Orlov is fantastic the defense just seem out of sorts a bit.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Andrew Raycroft said that the pass Swayman made prior to the Nurse goal was bad and also what he needs to work on with Goalie Bob today.

Jaffe thinks this loss is a good reminder to the guys they need to play a complete game.

It is on today’s Morning Bru podcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad