Post-Game Talk: GAME 62 - Our #88 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than their #88 - BRUINS 4 NYR 2

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
For all of you who keep posting that the bruins should fire Sacco because the pp is struggling, here is a quote from Montgomery taken from an article on WEEI:

“We didn’t have a lot of footage, but we saw where they were gonna put Kane,” Montgomery said of his PK. “[Assistant coach] Joe Sacco does a great job with our penalty kill. It’s first in the league because he does a great job with details. We use a lot of players. So it’s a combination of we have a lot of good penalty-killers and we have a real good plan in place by Coach Sacco.”

He runs the pk, which is #1 in the league. Does he run the pp as well? Honest question, as I don’t know. And if he does, even with their struggles as of late they are 7th in the league. So, he orchestrates a league best pk and (possibly) a top 10 pp, and many here post for him to be fired?
Fair point. And yes I've made comments about Sacco lol.

But they do need to fix something on the first PP unit. I hope they figure it out soon.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody

But they do need to fix something on the first PP unit. I hope they figure it out soon.
For sure, they have been bad lately. Just wondering if it is confirmed that he runs both units. I guess with this team there isn’t much to complain about but we have to find something to talk about haha

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
That is amazing. Next one sets a new record. Beating Espo and Hodge in combined duo goals is something.
I wonder if that also includes goals scored by someone else where they each got an assist. Pretty sure some of Pasta's goals would be in there lol

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
I thought Messier, and Chelios were more fair than usual. Subban is interested mainly in talking about himself. "Ranger Ray" Ferraro, however, was in fine form. Btw he made a couple of solid points, he just does not like the Bruins. It shows up in Canda and it shows here.
That was my first game of watching those fools on a tv broadcast.....and my last.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Lindholm, Carlo, Clifton and Forbort were caved in 5on5 today. Every one of them allowed more shots than they generated and were outshot a combined 13-33.
im telling you
best pairings would be without forbort.
they have time to work on them.
id lije to see clifton paired with lindholm.

Have a feeling bertuzzi is going to end up with pasta and dk with zacha moving to rw with Charlie and hall if he comes back
yup. he would fit in perfectly there. krejci missed that gimme bertuzzi gave him in 2nd period.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I don't think it is necessarily the coaching . PP2 does not have a problem with scoring and they have the same PP coach as PP1. I'm not a fan of PP1, they spend too much time on the ice (usually 1:30 of a 2 minute penalty) trying to amaze everyone with their awesome passing skills while waiting for Pasta to get open for a one timer or maybe Bergy to get open. No wonder they can't score, teams know what they're going to try to do & have countered it successfully.

As you might suspect I'm fed up with them. They have tons of talent but aren't using it to maximum effectiveness.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Can't really agree with this. Going from TDA to Burns is a pretty big upgrade in your
top 4. Then Andersen healthy gives them goalie depth. Necas has developed significantly this year also.

IMO the real problem is Carolina has gotten into their heads, much like the Capitals a few seasons earlier.

westmass

Oct 6, 2017
I don't think it is necessarily the coaching . PP2 does not have a problem with scoring and they have the same PP coach as PP1. I'm not a fan of PP1, they spend too much time on the ice (usually 1:30 of a 2 minute penalty) trying to amaze everyone with their awesome passing skills while waiting for Pasta to get open for a one timer or maybe Bergy to get open. No wonder they can't score, teams know what they're going to try to do & have countered it successfully.

As you might suspect I'm fed up with them. They have tons of talent but aren't using it to maximum effectiveness.
PP1 has become too predictable and not enough cycling movement. They are either telegraphing the the slot bumper shot or the Pasta one timer.

PP1 would be better served to cycle around, weave and let their natural instincts decide when to shoot.

PP2 is more instinctive, much harder to defend.

Additionally, two quality defensemen manning the points vs a forward.

A defensemen is accustom to D to D passes, keeping the puck in the zone on blue line, shooting from the point and obviously defending. Not a fan of 4 forwards.

Last edited:

RI.B FAN

Jul 14, 2002
JAMESTOWN RI
Visit site
Please ,this gets old.

Carlo can be replaced in fact he should be if we can resign Orlov and Clifton
I disagree here, our record is much better historically with Brandon Carlo IN the lineup

IMO the real problem is Carolina has gotten into their heads, much like the Capitals a few seasons earlier.
The Rangers need to oust Carolina for us.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Would be curious to know what the advanced stats say about the Clifton-Forbort pairing’s performance today. Felt like they got hemmed in quite a bit in their own zone. I still want to see:

Orlov-McAvoy
Lindholm-Clifton
Grzelcyk-Carlo

Lindholm-Clifton was so good at the start of the year. I never understood why they went away from it

29% xG playing mostly against Chytil's line. They got buried.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
For all of you who keep posting that the bruins should fire Sacco because the pp is struggling, here is a quote from Montgomery taken from an article on WEEI:

“We didn’t have a lot of footage, but we saw where they were gonna put Kane,” Montgomery said of his PK. “[Assistant coach] Joe Sacco does a great job with our penalty kill. It’s first in the league because he does a great job with details. We use a lot of players. So it’s a combination of we have a lot of good penalty-killers and we have a real good plan in place by Coach Sacco.”

He runs the pk, which is #1 in the league. Does he run the pp as well? Honest question, as I don’t know. And if he does, even with their struggles as of late they are 7th in the league. So, he orchestrates a league best pk and (possibly) a top 10 pp, and many here post for him to be fired?

It's a fair point. Obviously Sacco deserves a lot of credit for the PK and he fully needs to remain in charge of that. And to your question on the PP, I don't know either. But regardless of the answer, something needs to change. It needs a fresh voice or at the very least some different ideas to try and get PP1 in particular moving again. As it is it's far too easy to defend and has been for some time.

'Replace Sacco' is obviously far too simplistic, but it's very arguable that something more is needed than just persevering and waiting for things to click again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad