Post-Game Talk: GAME 62 - Our #88 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than their #88 - BRUINS 4 NYR 2

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think they'll figure it out. World class goalie and a roster that is too skilled to not.

If they fall, I think it’s going to be the defense. Obviously they were especially hobbled yesterday by that, but that could easily happen to them again in the playoffs. They don’t have the defensive depth of the Bruins and that’s huge in the postseason.

The amount of ice that was getting left open by the Rangers in their own zone was nuts. All game long. That was my biggest takeaway when watching up in the balcony. Just constant overpursuit of puck carrier leading to giant gaps.

Also, Shesterkin certainly isn’t a bad goalie but he’s firmly in the “good” category rather than “great” this year. He hasn’t been at Vezina level, like last year, at any point this year and virtually every Rangers fan will confirm this.

The number of big names on that offense is nuts but I’m still not sold on it being a team that grinds out multiple series wins

Last edited:

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I think the schedule looks pretty good from here on out for rest. There are 4 more back to backs and one looks brutal, but only one real road trip left it looks. There will be another Sunday-Thursday break towards the end of the regular season.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
It has been happening for a while now, teams are running themselves ragged. Trying to score and keep up the pace.
BY the 3rd period they're cooked and the B's take over. Goalies and defense is killing them.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
It's a fair point. Obviously Sacco deserves a lot of credit for the PK and he fully needs to remain in charge of that. And to your question on the PP, I don't know either. But regardless of the answer, something needs to change. It needs a fresh voice or at the very least some different ideas to try and get PP1 in particular moving again. As it is it's far too easy to defend and has been for some time.

'Replace Sacco' is obviously far too simplistic, but it's very arguable that something more is needed than just persevering and waiting for things to click again.

Sacco can run the PK. But it's been very clear, for many years he should not be in charge of the PP. And something has to change with that. Find someone else to run the PP. I can guarantee it would be better than the crap we've been seeing for years. It's so frustrating. We are too talented to have these issues.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Sacco can run the PK. But it's been very clear, for many years he should not be in charge of the PP. And something has to change with that. Find someone else to run the PP. I can guarantee it would be better than the crap we've been seeing for years. It's so frustrating. We are too talented to have these issues.
Move Lindholm back on top and start there

Reactions: lopey and Mione134

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If they fall, I think it’s going to be the defense. Obviously they were especially hobbled yesterday by that, but that could easily happen to them again in the playoffs. They don’t have the defensive depth of the Bruins and that’s huge in the postseason.

The amount of ice that was getting left open by the Rangers in their own zone was nuts. All game long. That was my biggest takeaway when watching up in the balcony. Just constant overpursuit of puck carrier leading to giant gaps.

Also, Shesterkin certainly isn’t a bad goalie but he’s firmly in the “good” category rather than “great” this year. He hasn’t been at Vezina level, like last year, at any point this year and virtually every Rangers fan will confirm this.

The number of big names on that offense is nuts but I’m still not sold on it being a team that grinds out multiple series wins

Last season Sheshterkin had a season like Linus is having this season. However NYR does not have a 1B like Swayman to spell him and IMO Gallant rode him a little too hard & a little too much. Add to that forwards have learned his strengths & weaknesses. He's still an excellent goaltender, if NYR can ever get him more help on the back end look out.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Its the same Goalie and D Corp that took them to the ECF last year.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I really want to see them get the wins record, but I also know that I really shouldn’t care.
The record would be ool, but This is a rough stretch of games coming up with back to backs every weekend until the end of the season and no more than a single day of rest until the last week of the season. I don't know what the best approach is, but I have to think it makes sense to start resting players.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Were they high danger shots? who were the forwards on the ice?
Keep in mind Mac and Carlo have been the backbone of Bruins defense for several years.
What D were on the ice for NY goals today?
Yes, they gave up all 8 of our high danger chances against, 26 of the 32 scoring chances against and both goals, but I'll re-check those numbers keeping in mind Carlo has been the backbone of the Bruins defense...

...Weird, the numbers didn't change.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

Yes, they gave up all 8 of our high danger chances against, 26 of the 32 scoring chances against and both goals, but I'll re-check those numbers keeping in mind Carlo has been the backbone of the Bruins defense...

...Weird, the numbers didn't change.
I looked at Fenway's play-by-play and it didn't show Carlo on the ice for either of the 2 NY goals.

D on ice first NYR goal 27--73
D on ice second NYR goal 28-75

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I looked at Fenway's play-by-play and it didn't show Carlo on the ice for either of the 2 NY goals.

D on ice first NYR goal 27--73
D on ice second NYR goal 28-75
I wasn't talking about just Carlo. I was talking about group of Lindholm, Forbort, Carlo and Clifton, that they really struggled 5on5 and were heavily outshot, and out chanced. One of those 4 D were on the ice for both goals against as well.

Point being, maybe those aren't the best pairs to go with going forward. Or maybe the forward combos or their usage needs to be adjusted. We need more games to evaluate, but it's been rare to see 2/3 of our D overwhelmed to the degree they were against the Rangers.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I wasn't talking about just Carlo. I was talking about group of Lindholm, Forbort, Carlo and Clifton, that they really struggled 5on5 and were heavily outshot, and out chanced. One of those 4 D were on the ice for both goals against as well.

Point being, maybe those aren't the best pairs to go with going forward. Or maybe the forward combos or their usage needs to be adjusted. We need more games to evaluate, but it's been rare to see 2/3 of our D overwhelmed to the degree they were against the Rangers.
We seem to be having conflicting data. But I agree there needs to be adjustments made. JM is going to correct whatever the problem is.

I'd like to see Orlov - Mac and Lindholm - Carlo

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Amazing thing about Bruins is only 2 players with 20+ goals.Bergeron 37 yrs old is 1 of them.

Bergeron has been so good this year considering he is 37 years old, has not had #88
primary RW and DeBrusk missed a month as his primary RW. Throw in no Marchand for first 8 games at LW. His defensive game hasn't shown really any slippage.

The guy given his age and above factors should legit get 7th player consideration, ha!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad