Post-Game Talk: GAME #61: Coyotes def. Canucks - 3-2 (OT) (Horvat, Gaudette)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Are people really ****ting on Boeser? He's the only top 6 winger we have. He's about the least of our problems.

Our 2nd pair is Pouliot - Biega. What do people expect? The team just not good. This management group needs to realize where this team's trending & be pro-active at the deadline.

The playoff race is slipping away now, gotta be looking towards the draft & where we could be next year.

Absolutely, in a vacuum, he’s the least of our problems right now.

But the habits he’s showing are not condusive to being a player you win with down the line or bring the sort of impact player we need him to be. And need to be corrected. I don’t think anyone wants this player to be a Ray Sheppard bouncing around the league and scoring 30 goals as a defensive liability for bad teams.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
this is pretty much my take on that trash show.

I hope the Coyotes make the playoffs and then get eviscerated and draft a lemon.

**** you for 20 yrs of junk hockey....no wonder no one cares in the desert

Why are you hating on Arizona? It's not their fault management has been crap and never put exciting and winning hockey in a non hockey market. On top of that they have never really had a star to market and you can see why they haven't had success.

I hope one day it works out for the long suffering fans they do have. It's been a pretty crappy ride

Reactions: Heldig

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Nothing wrong with wanting more from your top players. Boeser looks nothing like rookie year Boeser and his defensive game is slipping.

he's on pace for 70 points and last year he was on pace for 72...what the hell are you talking about? Lol

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I'm fairly certain that those stats include Bolland and Hossa, thus a bit misleading.

Those two have been on LTIR since their existence in Arizona. Those two alone would account for 122 games. Come on guy.

Arizona has been without their starting goalie in Raanta, Schmaltz, Grabner, Dvorak and Demers. Thats three of their top 6 and their number 3 D. Look at their roster, its filled with AHL talent.

Now I am not saying they belong anywhere near where they are at, but to try and say Bolland and Hossa have any bearing on their man games lost is just depressing.

Reactions: WTG

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

But the habits he’s showing are not condusive to being a player you win with down the line or bring the sort of impact player we need him to be. And need to be corrected. I don’t think anyone wants this player to be a Ray Sheppard bouncing around the league and scoring 30 goals as a defensive liability for bad teams.
I for some reason am worried he might turn into a Pierre Larouche? (had the elite goal scoring skill but not always the commitment to areas of the game that didn't involve scoring goals).

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Why are you hating on Arizona? It's not their fault management has been crap and never put exciting and winning hockey in a non hockey market. On top of that they have never really had a star to market and you can see why they haven't had success.

I hope one day it works out for the long suffering fans they do have. It's been a pretty crappy ride
Long suffering 500 fans they have

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why are you blaming Arizona for that game? They dominated us for the majority of it.
i dont know if i have ever enjoyed a Coyotes game. even their playoff run was a farce.

just an ugly ugly game style for years and they get away with it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
No NHL player should defend that poorly. Scale back his goals by 30% and he doesn’t have a job in the NHL. He doesn’t do ANYTHING else well.

Nothing wrong with wanting more from your top players. Boeser looks nothing like rookie year Boeser and his defensive game is slipping.

You guys, he was gassed after a long shift. It was the long change & they couldn't get off. Its the nature of 3 on 3 overtime. That could have been any other player.

He hasn't looked the same this year because of injuries. He missed his summer of training which set him back. Then he was hurting at the start of the year. His game really picked up after he had that time off. But he may not even be 100% right now & he's still one of our very few consistent scorers.

So what are the bad habits? I don't think his effort level is a problem. This is a character player.

Maybe after the deadline they should consider shutting him down if he's not 100% healthy, but I'm personally not worried about him at all like you guys are. Having no one other than him is what I'm concerned about. Not Brock Boeser.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
i dont know if i have ever enjoyed a Coyotes game. even their playoff run was a farce.

just an ugly ugly game style for years and they get away with it.

Very aggressive man on man defense. Alot of holding, picks, basically anything to hold up a guys movement. Right out of the Bruins/LA Kings playbook.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
he's on pace for 70 points and last year he was on pace for 72...what the hell are you talking about? Lol

So you think he looks like rookie year Boeser? We are talking about completely different players right now. Forget what the production is, Boeser was absolutely dominant last season.

We have not seen rushes like that goal against TB last year or absolute bullets against Carey Price.

He’s the least of our worries and I like him as a player but like I said, he could be such an elite player if some kinks were worked out. My biggest beef with him is his defensive game anyways.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

He's been a step behind all year. It's his sophomore year too - slumps are common and he's a target to be covered. He is visibly slumping though he's still accumulating goals and points. It shows in his decision making too. Looks like fatigue to some extent.

Sometimes a player starts the year on the wrong foot (figuratively) and can't catch up. In Brock's case injuries played a role.

I wouldn't be too worried about it unless he shows up to camp next year looking the same.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lol, I wouldn’t be so quick to call out other fanbases. Vancouver has some of the worst bandwagoning fans in the league :help::thumbd:
OT - Just looking up NBA attendance numbers just for the heck of it.
2018/19 season so far: Memphis Grizzlies 15,282 (*BUT* 5th worst in the league)
2000/01 season (last season in Vancouver) 13,737 (3rd worst in the league *BUT* the fans knew the owner was giving the )

*HOWEVER*, in Vancouver; they were pretty much out of the playoffs every year after the first month in the season LOL. Winning percentage somewhere in the are of .200 LOL.

Memphis Grizzlies: Made the post-season something like 10 seasons in a row. Overall winning percentage I think over .500

Who's the city with the bandwagon fans?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Two hard working, low talented, banged up teams who are almost exactly on the same level. Bounces counted in this one although late, Arizona was the better team

Good

Stecher - not perfect but continues to win puck battles in his end and provide real good defense around his net.

Horvat - lead his line with Granlund and Roussel to a good offensive game.

Hutton - having to take a more major role seems to have led to more continuity in his game and quicker puck movement. Not taking the extra step, great stick handle or dangle and much more efficient

Markstrom - could have been out of the game early if Markstrom wasn't solid. Don't see how you can criticize the goals against. Galyenchuk made some awesome moves on the winner

Not Good

Eriksson - total baggage. Should be in the old timers League

Levio - dragging down players around him. Step slow most of the game and got zero done

Schaller - Lot of useless racing around. Just can't get any traction with this team and never in sync with teammates. Hard to play any system with him on the ice.

Others

Sautner - had some periods of decent play but had a rough start to the game and poor on the second goal against. Don't see enough, to see him more than a very fringe NHL player.

Gaudette - if he can start consistently putting away goals like he did tonight and in LA he is gong to be dangerous. Can see the individual skill but needs to be more experienced in how to cover in his zone and how to work with line mates. (just understand the pro game) Making some positive steps.

Pouliot - made the one brain dead play leading to his penalty but he is improving. Showing more smarts with the puck.

Pettersson - showing some signs of fatigue and not as sharp on the PP.

Spooner - has obviously got better offensive skills than Gagner but must create and bury chances if he is to stick around. Showed a good turn of speed and some talent with the puck but you wonder how well he can get to the net. Kind of nifty player but maybe not a very strong one.

Boeser - no more than ok. Not very good in OT.

I think it is looking more and more likely the Canucks, without the injured players, will not be able to hang in the playoff race. Tonight's game (especially in the third) showed their play getting too fragmented whereas Arizona continued a good team game. This is not trending well.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I for some reason am worried he might turn into a Pierre Larouche? (had the elite goal scoring skill but not always the commitment to areas of the game that didn't involve scoring goals).
Maybe just a modern day Jimmy Carson
Very aggressive man on man defense. Alot of holding, picks, basically anything to hold up a guys movement. Right out of the Bruins/LA Kings playbook.
i can vividly remember games with 6 scoring chances against.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I have no idea why multiple players are blaming the power play in this game in the post game interviews.

Do they know how good Arizona's PK is??

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So you think he looks like rookie year Boeser? We are talking about completely different players right now. Forget what the production is, Boeser was absolutely dominant last season.

We have not seen rushes like that goal against TB last year or absolute bullets against Carey Price.

He’s the least of our worries and I like him as a player but like I said, he could be such an elite player if some kinks were worked out. My biggest beef with him is his defensive game anyways.
i'm more concerned about the offense you just described and the fact that he loses a lot of 1 on 1 battles. Great players have great sticks. I'm hopeful he can become more...last year he had the it factor you described this year he's been held back but in fairness it's his hands back gaining too much bulk and sacrificing some of his quickness....classic sophomore year for a guy getting a tonne more attention

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
OT - Just looking up NBA attendance numbers just for the heck of it.
2018/19 season so far: Memphis Grizzlies 15,282 (*BUT* 5th worst in the league)
2000/01 season (last season in Vancouver) 13,737 (3rd worst in the league *BUT* the fans knew the owner was giving the )

*HOWEVER*, in Vancouver; they were pretty much out of the playoffs every year after the first month in the season LOL. Winning percentage somewhere in the are of .200 LOL.

Memphis Grizzlies: Made the post-season something like 10 seasons in a row. Overall winning percentage I think over .500

Who's the city with the bandwagon fans?

Im talking about hockey what does the NBA have to do with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad