GDT: Game 60: dallas @ COLORADO, February 27, 2024 (tonight's game edition)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Chris Wagner last night:

1 assist
+2
5 hits
3 blocked shots
60% on faceoffs

Also noticed him as a menace on the forecheck; first to pucks and winning board battles.

Got our 4C?

1709129149763.png

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
That 4th line as a whole was really good last night. That’s exactly what you want from a 4th line. If we can get a 2C and get RyJo out of here we should have a pretty solid forward group.

Lehk-Mack-Mikko
Drouin-2C-Nuke
Wood/Lando-Colton-LOC
Cogs/Parise-Wagner-Kivi/Wood

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Seeing Drouin play this year... the elite passing instincts, the high end skating ability, the dangles... he's got solid size and you wonder how could this guy's career not have gone better than it has.

The guy should be putting up a routine 50-60 apples per season. Drouin's proxy as a passer is someone like Jon Huberdeau.

Agree with the Wanger love above. Great analytics last night. Our ex-Stars shined vs their old club, but he was every bit as good as his two wingers. He certainly earned another game or two to see if he can maintain that level of play. Dude nearly scored his own goal in the 3rd with a tricky bad post shot their goalie had to really scramble to deflect away.

Only line that sucked last night was Coltons. LOC's weak@$$ play on the Stars only goal set the tone for a lousy evening... everyone else though.

Tight tight tight.

I know this truth. Dallas doesn't want anything to do with the Avs in the playoffs. We're a nightmare matchup for them.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
  • Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Great game overall. They outshot us but really didn't feel like it.
George was great last night. I hope that version of him will last.
Mikko was much better alst night. I think he felt very guilty for that stupid penalty he took late against the Leafs.
I agree on Wagner. Great game from him. He has played 5 games so far and he is 66.7% on faceoffs. It would be nice to have him to rely on for defensive faceoffs instead of Ryjo who becomes a huge liability when he loses the faceoffs.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Pluses:

3 goals on 6 shots in the 2nd period.

4th line outburst of scoring.

George plays well when the team in front of him has it's collective head screwed on a bit tighter, and with better alignment.

Manson touched into his playoff mode a bit, and still restrained himself from killing a couple of stars players who deserved a beatdown.

Meh:

Slo Joe Hansen.

Byram still needs to simplify his game, and he is improving from earlier this season.

Moose nudged his GAF factor up from -10 to -8. Still fell down a bunch, and damn near killed himself trying to hit someone along the end boards, but scored a goal while falling down.

The refs. Always.

Reactions: cinchronicity

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I found a way to fix George permanently. The Avs should have a mini game between themselves just before their game until George gets around 10 shots on him. Then he will be ready for the main game. The early goal against would be out of the way. Problem solved.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Seeing Drouin play this year... the elite passing instincts, the high end skating ability, the dangles... he's got solid size and you wonder how could this guy's career not have gone better than it has.

The guy should be putting up a routine 50-60 apples per season. Drouin's proxy as a passer is someone like Jon Huberdeau.
It's because his size isn't all that great at 5'11 and 200 pounds, so he can't bully NHL players. He can't be the best player on a line because he's not good enough to do that. He's also weak at getting pucks out defensively. I don't know if people have been paying attention, but the last several weeks he's been struggling to get pucks out and turning the puck over a lot. There's a reason why Bednar goes back to ol' faithrul Lehkonen on the top line. If Drouin wasn't doing those things, he wouldn't get bumped down to RyJo's line.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's because his size isn't all that great at 5'11 and 200 pounds, so he can't bully NHL players. He can't be the best player on a line because he's not good enough to do that. He's also weak at getting pucks out defensively. I don't know if people have been paying attention, but the last several weeks he's been struggling to get pucks out and turning the puck over a lot. There's a reason why Bednar goes back to ol' faithrul Lehkonen on the top line. If Drouin wasn't doing those things, he wouldn't get bumped down to RyJo's line.
Isn't Mack 6'0 200 pounds. Drouin doesn't look small out there to me.

Lex is a good player too. Has his own skill set that belongs on a 2nd line. He is ol faithful and consistent.

But Drouin is a top six talent in my eyes. He's not perfect. He competes decently on 50/50 pucks, but he's no stud at it.

Rants has been terrible the past month and he wasn't demoted. Avs went thru a bad spell of play. Makar, Toews, Rants all so dips in their play.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Pluses:

3 goals on 6 shots in the 2nd period.

4th line outburst of scoring.

George plays well when the team in front of him has it's collective head screwed on a bit tighter, and with better alignment.

Manson touched into his playoff mode a bit, and still restrained himself from killing a couple of stars players who deserved a beatdown.

Meh:

Slo Joe Hansen.

Byram still needs to simplify his game, and he is improving from earlier this season.

Moose nudged his GAF factor up from -10 to -8. Still fell down a bunch, and damn near killed himself trying to hit someone along the end boards, but scored a goal while falling down.

The refs. Always.
I'd rather see Byram push himself more. He looks best when he's skating and attacking. I can live with some turnovers if he's also creating more. He's got the skill set to be a creator and puck driver.

Last night Byram made several good defensive plays with his stick and made a few slick outlet passes too. He turned it over once or twice. But Toews iced it a few times too and also turned it over a couple times. Good players make mistakes. You just want them to make more good plays than bad.

Byram is playing his best hockey the past several weeks vs how he played from about Nov 15-Jan 15th. Glad he's seeing a nice uptick in performance. He's back to +0.

He was a -10 about a month ago. +/- is a meh stat, but are you surprised he's made a lot of progress in this stat over the last few weeks? I'm not. The eye test tells us both he's playing pretty well.

It's going to be great when Makar stops turning all his high danger scoring chances into dump ins from the mid slot.

His shooting lately doesn't look like shooting at all. I'm not sure what he's aiming it, but it's not the net or even the goalie.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I found a way to fix George permanently. The Avs should have a mini game between themselves just before their game until George gets around 10 shots on him. Then he will be ready for the main game. The early goal against would be out of the way. Problem solved.
I alluded to that earlier and share the sentiment. He's not starting the game on time and would drive Sacco mad!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
it's been a while since Manson's been moaned about, are we good with him and his value to the team yet? like others have said even when he struggled he's the type of D you need to succeed in the playoffs
Shh... you'll bring the boo-birds back out.

I've actually thought Manson has been good for pretty much the season. He had early issues but sorted them. His value to the team though isn't really derived in regular season play. It's going to be him scoring on a bomb in the playoffs and getting away with felonious assault along the boards and in front of the net where his value is felt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad