GDT: Game 6: Wild at Blues 1/27/13 at 7:00 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Anyone have a good review of Granlund's play? I don't think I noticed him once all game (good, bad, or otherwise), which disappoints me slightly because I was eager to get a viewing.

He was pretty darn invisible. The box score had him playing 11:42, and I was shocked it was that much. That said, after the first I didn't really even notice Tarasenko that much.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Looks like The Blues might be grooming Redden for a Top 4 role after all. He played 21+ minutes, just short of #2, Shattenkirk. He's looked really solid in all phases of the game, and in all zones. And his shot is still hard as a howitzer, and accurate, too. I think he'll be playing the point a lot on either the #1 or #2 PP unit. Looks like a great steal for only $800,000. Glad Army didn't trade one of the young talents plus draft choices for Bouwmeester and his $6.8 million salary!

Redden seems to be in very good shape, as well. They have the defensive depth to keep Jackman and Redden fresh for the playoffs, and to outlast most of the other teams, who don't have nearly as much quality depth.

Remember how hard it used to be for The Blues to enter the offensive zone? One of the keys to their puck possession game is unimpeded entrance into the opponent's zone. And one of the main reasons for that is that MOST of The Blues' defencemen are VERY mobile, and can carry the puck in when the forwards are being covered.

Because Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Russell, Cole, Polak, Redden and even Jackman can do that with skill, The Blues have a tremendous advantage. Then, with their youth, speed, puckhandling skills, forechecking tenacity, they keep the puck in the zone.

With the puck in the zone much more of the game than not (they outshoot their opponents by an average of 15 shots per game), they can score more. Now that Tarasenko has been added, and Perron and Oshie and Berglund and Backes are improving at finishing their shots, The Blues have a good scoring advantage.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I know it is very early, but we are third in the League in goals per game just now, behind only the Sharks and Lightning.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Faceoffs tonight:

Backes: 60%
Berglund: 62%
Steen: 38%
Sobotka: 55 %

Those are pretty good numbers for a game.

I still want to see someone force Steen back out to the wing where he can be more effective.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
I know it is very early, but we are third in the League in goals per game just now, behind only the Sharks and Lightning.

From a numbers perspective, the Blues really could only improve two things in the PK and faceoffs.

Top 5 in G/G, GA/G, PP, Shots/G, and SA/G.

From a player perspective, Backes and Russell seem to be the only noticeable guys that need to pick it up.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
From a numbers perspective, the Blues really could only improve two things in the PK and faceoffs.

Top 5 in G/G, GA/G, PP, Shots/G, and SA/G.

From a player perspective, Backes and Russell seem to be the only noticeable guys that need to pick it up.

I agree about Backes offensively, but he's still been the usual Backes in the neutral zone and his own zone. It's a great thing that he doesn't have to carry the offense like he has had to the last couple of seasons.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I agree about Backes offensively, but he's still been the usual Backes in the neutral zone and his own zone. It's a great thing that he doesn't have to carry the offense like he has had to the last couple of seasons.
Agree. Seems like Backes can step up if needed, but if not... he just plays a solid game. But he always starts slow and didnt play anywhere in the off-season. He'll get his points by season's end. He's not a PPG player, but when he gets hot he can carry a team and thankfully, it seems the Blues have a lot of players like that.

Perron is on another level right now. Contract-wise, the Blues are in a perfect storm. Never have they had so many good players as motivated as they are right now, at least in recent terms. A Cup seems like an actual possibility.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wow what a win. Exciting game, fast and physical and lots of action. Love watching these two teams play.

My thoughts (all positives pretty much):

-- Perron is on fire. He's playing with confidence and dominating with his stick-handling. Awesome to watch.

-- Watching Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka continuously demolish guys is freakin' awesome. Man they can hit. They are all wrecking balls. And Sobotka has just been tremendous all around this season; what a start!

-- Shattenkirk is playing absolutely amazing. He's in tremendous shape.

-- Is it possible for Pietrangelo to be underrated on this board? I think he is so far. Yeah his defensive game isn't as good as usual but he's not been horrible, and he has 7 points. He's still very good. Never once was I worried about him.

-- Barret Jackman is playing GREAT. He's really been one of our better d-men so far this season...Underrated play, I like it.

-- Wade Redden is really impressing me. He's reliable defensively and can produce offensively. Rocket of a shot tonight. Keep him in the lineup. I'd like to see Cole in over Russell though...Russell has been fine but nothing special.

-- Nice to see Berglund heating up...he's playing really well so far.

-- 4th-line of Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves is really good. As long as Sobotka and Reaves stay on that line it will be good. Langenbrunner/Nichol are pretty interchangeable as they bring similar characteristics. Just don't insert D'Agostini and I'm fine.

-- Stewart is really playing well. He's fast and playing a power game. Great screen and tip in tonight! Solid start for him.

Only negatives:

-- Goaltending has been pretty weak so far and is benefitting from the team in front of them (except for the Chicago game). But I'm sure they will turn it around...That's probably the only negative from not facing many shots.

-- Schwartz continues to be the worst forward on the team. Gush about his "hockey sense" all you want, he's easily the least productive forward on the team right now IMO (not counting the guys who are usually scratched).

All in all though, awesome to see a 5-1 start...team is good and fun to watch. I liked their battle tonight.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Anyone have a good review of Granlund's play? I don't think I noticed him once all game (good, bad, or otherwise), which disappoints me slightly because I was eager to get a viewing.

I was thinking the same thing. I only noticed he was on the ice like 2 or 3 times, and never because of anything interesting he did.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Wow what a win. Exciting game, fast and physical and lots of action. Love watching these two teams play.

-- Perron is on fire. He's playing with confidence and dominating with his stick-handling. Awesome to watch.

-- Watching Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka continuously demolish guys is freakin' awesome. Man they can hit. They are all wrecking balls. And Sobotka has just been tremendous all around this season; what a start!

-- Is it possible for Pietrangelo to be underrated on this board? I think he is so far. Yeah his defensive game isn't as good as usual but he's not been horrible, and he has 7 points. He's still very good. Never once was I worried about him.

-- Barret Jackman is playing GREAT. He's really been one of our better d-men so far this season...Underrated play, I like it.

-- Wade Redden is really impressing me. He's reliable defensively and can produce offensively. Rocket of a shot tonight. Keep him in the lineup. I'd like to see Cole in over Russell though...Russell has been fine but nothing special.

-- 4th-line of Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves is really good. As long as Sobotka and Reaves stay on that line it will be good. Langenbrunner/Nichol are pretty interchangeable as they bring similar characteristics. Just don't insert D'Agostini and I'm fine.

-- Stewart is really playing well. He's fast and playing a power game. Great screen and tip in tonight! Solid start for him.

Only negatives:

-- Goaltending has been pretty weak so far and is benefitting from the team in front of them (except for the Chicago game). But I'm sure they will turn it around...That's probably the only negative from not facing many shots.

-- Schwartz continues to be the worst forward on the team. Gush about his "hockey sense" all you want, he's easily the least productive forward on the team right now IMO (not counting the guys who are usually scratched).

All in all though, awesome to see a 5-1 start...team is good and fun to watch. I liked their battle tonight.

I strongly disagree. If he wasn't stuck with Scottie Brickhands, and over-the-hill Langs, he would have at least 4 points. He's spent almost no time with skilled forwards. When he does get a chance with some talent on his line, he's been great. He's been good in his own zone too.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I strongly disagree. If he wasn't stuck with Scottie Brickhands, and over-the-hill Langs, he would have at least 4 points. He's spent almost no time with skilled forwards. When he does get a chance with some talent on his line, he's been great. He's been good in his own zone too.
What in the world are you talking about? He has spent minimal time with them. He's usually with Berglund and Stewart (who are producing). Schwartz isn't. He has not been anywhere close to great. At least 4 points? C'mon now.... Just no. Who has been worse than him? Yeah obviously guys like Nichol won't score as much as him but Nichol is filling his role very nicely.

The other two though...very good. I've seen Stewart backcheck more in these past 2 games than I did the entire 2011-2012 season. He's been stealing the puck from guys; he's improved for sure.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
What in the world are you talking about? He has spent minimal time with them. He's usually with Berglund and Stewart (who are producing). Schwartz isn't. He has not been anywhere close to great. At least 4 points? C'mon now.... Just no. Who has been worse than him? Yeah obviously guys like Nichol won't score as much as him but Nichol is filling his role very nicely.

The other two though...very good. I've seen Stewart backcheck more in these past 2 games than I did the entire 2011-2012 season. He's been stealing the puck from guys; he's improved for sure.

Who do you suggest playign 3rd line with Berglund and Stewart then? I think you aren't looking at Schwartz's whole game. He has flashes of Perron's agility with the puck. As long as Berglund and Stewart continue to produce I don't see why you would change that line up.

Inserting Dags into Bergs-Stew line is that Dags will take a lot more shots than Schwartz will which could possibly hinder the amount of shots Berglund or Stewart can take. Jaden Schwartz can create open ice and has a great work ethic. I say continue to let him play wing for Bergy and Stewy, let him get NHL experience. If it's not broken don't fix it.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Not all rookies look like Tarasenko. Schwartz has been good, especially defensively. He's also set up guys for very good chances that they haven't finished. The Blues are better with Schwartz in the lineup. In the games they played, Langenbrunner and D'Agostini have been clearly worse. Schwartz belongs, and "worst" forward on the team can still be good - in this case, he is.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I agree. I've liked what I've seen from Schwartz in his limited time. It's no crime that he's not replicating what our other wingers are doing, given the circumstances. The 10-12 minutes of ESTOI that he's getting is plenty for developmental purposes.

As an aside, I'm going to start locking old GDTs after the new one is put up. Any ongoing discussions can spill over into the new GDT or stickied season discussion thread.

Many posters don't go back to check old GDTs after a few days, and I think there's a lot of quality discussion that's being missed by the community at large. I'm hoping this will help bring those conversations back into the spotlight a little bit.

Last edited:

halaktarasenkofan

Jan 25, 2013

Only negatives:

jaro said it's hard for him to have only 12 shots! he like 50 shots better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Had a rare chance to go to the game last night. A few thoughts:

--The refs were awful. Not just the chintzy calls weighted heavily against the Blues, but they were constantly in the way of the play in a way I don't ever remember seeing at a game before. The Russell 'interference' call that led to the goal had a lot to do with the ref being in the way and Kris having to work around him.

--The Wild were pretty dominant, the Blues were lucky their offense is so good right now. 10-20-91 were dominated physically and weren't helped by Steen trying too much hero play. A lot of passes and chips that weren't smart. Tarasenko doesn't have much impact without the puck on his stick.

--The chemistry between Bergland and Stewart this year is obvious. Stewart looking great in the offensive zone and has cut down on the weak passes and chips without purpose in the other zones that led to so many chances for the other team last year. He looks much more like a part of the team and not just someone floating on the perimeter.

--Perron woke up, huh? Really played his game and might have been the best player on the ice. When he and Oshie do their spin and grind on the offensive boards for a whole shift, good stuff happens.

--Redden looks good in a lot of ways, but he does not hit or play physically. One reason he couldn't play for Tortorella. He's a pure finesse player. I suppose if the coach game plans for that it can be ok, but I wonder about using him in big situations. Plus, I thought Cole was looking pretty good.

--I agree with the post above, both goaltenders looking a little weak.

--After saying before the game that I thought Schwartz maybe needed some more time in the minors, I thought he was pretty good. He needs the right linemates, thought giving him some time with Backes late in the game was a good move.

--Last point, I promise. It's not so much what Langenbrunner does that is the issue ,because I thought he looked decent last night. It's that the players he gets subbed in for provide better stuff. After the Blues gave up their second PP goal last night I said to my brother, "I don't think we'll see Nichol sitting much more this year."

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Sobotka the Eastern European Tank blowing up Suter.

Clang clang!! stay off them trolley tracks.

blues_sobotka_blowin_up_suter_wild_ani.gif

Harley83

May 28, 2012
--Redden looks good in a lot of ways, but he does not hit or play physically. One reason he couldn't play for Tortorella. He's a pure finesse player. I suppose if the coach game plans for that it can be ok, but I wonder about using him in big situations. Plus, I thought Cole was looking pretty good.

He does a good enough job for Western Conference hockey as far as protecting the goaltender. In my opinion the big difference between Western and Eastern is that many Eastern Conference teams (the competitive ones) crash the net so the defensemen are expected to be aggressive and put themselves between the goaltender at all times. In the Western Conference there seems to be more Offensive-Defensemen or Two-way as opposed to the stay-at-home, fight-to-the-death, crease-clearing, protect-the-net breed in the Eastern Conference. St. Louis needs more of those in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad